is star trek DS9 best star trek series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by tmosler, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG had continuity alright just not such grand story arcs or DS9's rich structure. Ironically TNG was more of a closed-in show than DS9 was since TNG was confined to the ship and all the main characters were confined to it as where most of the secondary characters.

Whereas in DS9 you had Quark going to Ferenginar, Kira sometimes visiting Bajor, Odo and the Great Link, plus a whole of other secondary characters. I just felt DS9 got to visit many more worlds and seemed to visualize them better than TNG did.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well TNG definitely visited more worlds, you can't deny that being there was almost literally a new alien every other week. But DS9 fleshed those worlds out.

In TNG the Ferengi were just after profit, the Cardassians were another generic bad guy and the Bajorians just a race of refugees. While all true, DS9 explored what -really- makes the Ferengi society tick and the holes in their philosophy. The Cardassians became a hugely complicated race, that was almost sympathetic at times as to why their became expansionalist and the Bajorians became a complicated and diverse people with many different facets both religious and political.

Also, TNG was more episodic and limited to that. You literally could reorder the vast majority of TNG's episodes just on whim and it really wouldn't impact much. The big points like the Borg episodes, Worf's Klingon arc and the such you'd have to keep roughly where they are, but for the most part it is fly off and deal with random problem of the week and never see/hear from it again.

3. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

The best is a matter of opinion, depending on what people are looking for in a show. I do believe it was the most complex and 'grown up' show and is my favorite.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It absolutely is.

5. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

DS9 is the best.

And it can't be the worst. Sure, one could say it was the worst of the good Trek series, but it can't be the worst overall as long as VOY and ENT still exist.

6. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't really rank the star treks I like.

I used to, but then I find it just depends on what mood I'm in to what I like more, and then I'm constantly changing my rankings, and in the end it's just a go-nowhere thought process... they all have strengths and weaknesses.

I just have star trek shows I like, and star trek shows I dislike.

I like TOS,TNG,and DS9.

I dislike Voyager and the majority of Enterprise.

Beyond that, I find it impossible to rank which is my "favorite" or which is the "best"

7. Lt_Rowy

Lt_Rowy Commander Red Shirt

I have to say that DS9 is my favourite after watching Enterprise, TOS, TNG and watching all of DS9 and 5 seasons of Voyager...Enterprise is what got me into Trek in the first place...but I love DS9!

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Yes it is.

:)

9. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

I think this totally depends on the generation you are from and the kinda person you are. For me I grew up on TNG re-runs & DS9 was being aired for first time. For others who grew up during the orginal series would say TOS is best and will always be the best for them. I love DS9 for it's epic arc story along with B5, they bring back memories :)

10. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Generally that may be true, but it's not necessarily what generation you are from..

I was born in 87, grew up watching TNG, and for a long time it was the only trek i enjoyed. These days, I probably watch TOS more than any other version of trek. I find it to be the most fun to watch and that gives it more replay value for me. I think in a lot of ways it's the best show. I'm not saying it IS the best show though, because like i said before, it really depends on my mood, and I can't really decide which is the "best".

11. Revolution

Revolution Ensign Red Shirt

Definitely not. Couldn't get into it at all, nowhere near as good as TOS or TNG.

(IMO of course)

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 is neither the best nor the worst Star Trek TV series.

13. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

Well the conclusion is there is no best star trek series. "Each to his own"

14. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you can make a convincing case for TOS, TNG and DS9.

DS9 obviously didn't make the impact on popular culture that TOS did, nor did it ever achieve the recognition and popularity that TNG attained (and retains, at least to a degree).

It also benefited immensely from the groundwork laid by those two shows.

A lot of what makes DS9 interesting is the way it revisits some of the same stories and ideas from previous Trek shows, but from a fresh perspective. In some cases, long-time Trek writers were consciously doing this, while questioning some of the utopian ideas in Trek that had become almost a sort of dogma on TNG. For that reason, DS9 has aged much better than TNG, and I think it will continue to do so.

The main case for DS9 rests on the overall quality of the writing and acting, the depth of characterization, and the willingness of the producers to experiment and try new things. It's an uneven show, but at its best it can be really great.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

well all the ST shows are uneven, DSN just happens to be one of the least unbalanced of the shows.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Easily the best IMHO. No contest...

Your mileage may vary.

17. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Ds9 is the best of Star Trek series .IMHO, Star Trek TOS is the worst .I don't like the series or the movies.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Without TOS there wouldn't be a DSN.

TOS wasn't perfect, it had a somewhat lacklustre third season. But it's first 2 seasons are gnereally good. And it must have done something right to still be remembered decades later.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I love DS9. Randomly tune in into an arbitrary episode and have a great time with a great cast of very well developed characters. None of the other ST shows have that.