Q is a pathetic loser

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Nov 17, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Q was less of a cocky little bitch Janeway might have been more tempted by him. If he had actually gotten them home she might have noticed his interesting and erudite qualities instead of only seeing his annoyingness. But I think that's a big part of why he doesn't take her home, because he needs her to need him. If he took them home she would need him for nothing.

NOW when he visits her in her bath and bedroom she has to at least go through some motions of tolerating him because she knows he can take them home any time. He's mercurial and though she doesn't believe he will ever actually do it it's in her face every moment he's there that he could do it. And maybe there's some kind of magic response she can give him that will make him do it but she hasn't discovered it.

A normal, healthy person would think "I will give this woman what she wants, what she actually needs and she will respect me, and possibly even love me for it."

Q thinks, "If I never give this woman what she wants she has to keep talking to me in case someday I do!"

So. If Janeway had leaped into the red velvet bed and said, "Take me Q oh take me now!" would he have magiced them home one second later when they were done? Would he ever have magiced them home?

What would it have taken for this to happen?

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I don't think so. Remember, Q is not necessarily male, so he's actually pretty clueless about what females really want (even Q females). He always made Picard work for whatever help Q gave him, so why shouldn't Janeway have to work for it, too? After all, she is also of the same species as Picard and although she wasn't given the "thou art directed to return to thine own Solar System immediately" line, she's still "on trial" along with the rest of humanity, just as Picard always was.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Kathy read his starfleet file and knew what a devious prick he was. She knew he'd never have magicked them home, though the banter would have been fun. Plakson Q might have been a different kettle of fish though. Boy, was that a missed opportunity.

4. teacake

Plakson Q and Janeway and the red velvet bed?

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    As our politicians love to say: I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

6. teacake

Oh I'm sure Q is completely aware of human sexuality, he's just made the mistake of dismissing it as a point of interest the way the rest of us don't pay any attention to those glands under our arms. He's getting a clue though with his preoccupation with the fripperies of romance, flowers and hearts etc.. he appeared in the bath with one he was wooing and in bed with another. I think that's what he really wants, his wooing to be successful from the point of view of his target. He wants them to actually be wooed, not just fake it.

Janeway might have done a passable job of faking it because she's a wooer herself.

7. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Q (and the Continuum) make a lot more sense if you assume they actually have no real agenda and everything they say or do is just to screw with the lesser races.

Q: "What do you want to do today?"

Q: "I don't know, what do you want to do?"

Q: "Same thing we always do - confuse the hell out of lesser beings!"

Q: "But how? We tried the 'You're on trial!' thing, and we tried the 'Only you can save the universe' thing...what now?"

Q: "Hey, I know! Let's pretend we're having a civil war!"

Q: "I love it!"

I prefer to think that everything they say is a lie, especially when it comes to speaking about themselves.

8. teacake

Oh I think Q really did find his kid quite annoying.

9. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, yeah. Everything except for that.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janeway actually never once asks Q to take them home, even after stopping their Civil War and babysitting.

I'd actually like the moral dilemma of Q saying "Put out and I'll take you home." My guess is Janeway wouldn't do it.

11. teacake

I think she knows what the answer will be and is waiting for him to offer in exchange for something. She knows he prefers for everything to be his idea.

As to the moral dilemma, I think she would do it if she could absolutely be sure he would honor his end of the deal. But she would not order anyone else to do it. She could even get around the horrible "I have prostituted myself for my crew" factor by reminding herself that Q was a non corporeal being and at the end of the day she hasn't had sex with anything any more human than Michael Sullivan.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think Q is a pathetic loser, I think the Q and the Grey is a badly written episode that doesn't get Q. Q was a better written character over in TNG then he ever was in Voyager.

13. teacake

Well then if you ever have to sleep with him in order to save your ship it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

14. The Overlord

That's kinda of a bad storyline to begin with, I don't see why Q would be interested in sex with human in general or Janeway in particular. Q was an arrogant god like creature in his previous appearances, shouldn't he see relations with a human as beneath him? I think that whole episode made the Q less interesting, not more.

15. teacake

He was just as interested in sex with Picard. And you are correct, it's not how we would see it. He picks the top human on a ship and tries to make them like him. He eventually figures out that sex is the ultimate expression of liking and so if that is part of the wooing success he's up for it.

His ultimate goal is to have the human be wooed.

If that means sex, tea, puppies.. whatever, he doesn't care. He just wants to win in the wooing game.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

17. teacake

If only that as post coital. But I guess that is in my dreams.

18. The Overlord

I still don't see why he would want to have sex with Janeway in particular. Q seemed like a wacky neighbor from a bad sit com who hits on on the female protagonist, instead of the character he was in TNG. He simply wants to produce an heir, he could have done anything, he could have appeared before some college girls in the guise of Robert Pattison or he could have used his powers to create the perfect bride. There is no good reason why Q would spend all that time trying to woo Janeway, when all he wants is a to have a child. He could that with almost any woman.

This episode just plain sucks, it contradicts almost everything we know about the Q and makes them far less interesting in the process:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v853.asp

19. teacake

Ooo don't quote that sf dude to me. I will not read or watch him. If he wants my esteem let him come here and post!

He wanted Janeway and he wanted Picard because they had strong personalities and were leaders of their ships. He could have a child with a freaking farm animal if he wanted to, but the hint of mutuality is what he sought. If you're going to look for mutuality that flatters you then you start at the top.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Sure he can do it way easier in other ways, but I imagine that he liked the challenge of trying to seduce Janeway. Q seems to have a thing for Starfleet captains. Why else would he have himself wearing a Captain's uniform all the time?

Also no, I doubt Q would have ever magicked the Voyager crew himself. He would have wanted them to do it themselves

I always believed the map Q gave them at the end of Q2 was his way of pointing Voyager in the direction of the Borg transwarp hub in Endgame, to take care of a problem for him (Q themselves are not to provoke them).