Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

"Six Seasons and a Movie!" was Abed's retort to Jeff after he ruined Jeff's dinner in the cafeteria in "The Cape" flashback of "Paradigms of Human Memory" in season 2, the clip show of clips we haven't seen.

Or just watch this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXqLCM0d0Os[/yt]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep...it has kind of become the show's mantra in a way...and fans have applied the comment to other shows since. Tonight's was fun!! Evil Abed is back with a vengeance! It was nice seeing French Stewart...and Annie's reaction to Jeff's abs was fun. Chang wasn't actually annoying IMO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Something has been on my mind all season and has kind of sprung up again this week - has the show strayed too far from reality? *EVERYTHING* from the first two seasons was justifiable as real or possible, yes, even My Dinner with Andre and Paintball one and two.

Now, this year the exploration of alt timelines was a fun plot device - but now these are crossing In-universe? Getting a celeb impersonator pimp to break your legs? Brainwashed by glee? Hmmm. Those are staying a bit too far into the wild wacky and dumb for me.

4. ByrdMan

ByrdMan Commodore Commodore

"Six seasons and a movie" as originally stated by Abed in reference to "Cougar Town", IIRC.

5. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if only they'd stuck to the realism of zombie attacks and claymation Christmas shows.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

But they had justification for those! Sure, ok, the Zombie meat things/rabies stuff was a bit of a stretch - but they didn't play it in cutaways and CG bits like this season.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Something that I've noticed lately... Chevy Chase seems barely in the show... and sometimes not even with the cast, and certainly not with the resolution. Last night, for example, after a couple of scenes, he was off by himself--trying to get in to the party, at the bar by himself.

And last week, it felt the same.

I wonder if something is going on.

8. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, the fact that Dan Harmon became a real big alcoholic this year is kinda public knowledge - I'm sure that's had it's effect on the creation of the show.

9. Admiral_Young

I pointed out the Chevy thing a while back...it kind of still goes with the fallout from last year's season finale where Pierce told them he didn't need them any more.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But I thought that "story" was resolved... It's certainly not something that seems to be in play now.

The gossip person in me wonders: maybe Chevy isn't getting along with people, or he doesn't want to be on the show, I never seem him do press for it...

... I don't know.

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is there anything annie can't look good in. oh my.

12. Admiral_Young

I actually didn't like Annie in the Bo Peep outfit :shrug:

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought she was sopposed to be dorthy?

14. Admiral_Young

Yep...she was, bad job on me lol.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abed's projecting is negative feelings towards Troy onto his imagined evil alternate self, that's all. This is the same guy who lets his imagination run away with him all the time, after all. There's a reason that scene happened in the Dreamatorium.

I really think you're confusing Abed's tendency to let his imagination run away with him with an actual inter-dimensional crossover. Remember, this is the same guy who hallucinated the entire Season Two Christmas episode as claymation.

I don't see how these are any different than most of the crazy stuff they did in the first two season -- I mean, a secret military bioweapon that turns everyone into zombies? Claymation Christmas? A school that keeps holding giant free-for-all paintball contests that ruin the campus? A campus mafia evolving over chicken fingers? Etc.

Let's face it, the Realism/Naturalism boat sailed on Community ages ago.

16. Admiral_Young

Sci's take on Evil Abed is actually quite interesting...is Abed just imagining this? Also note all of this has been happening without Ian Duncan who also counselled the group at various times. I think by the time season three ends we'll going to have to go back and do a re-watch to see if we've seen things we've missed. I agree this season has been lackluster so far compared to the previous two, but there is an obvious story arc being carried through this season.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Almost certainly. I mean, he suddenly starts seeing the same Evil Abed he imagined might exist while he's in the Dreamatorium? And Evil Abed just happens to have access to incredibly advanced technology from out of nowhere? And this after he hallucinated everyone as claymation? And Evil Abed just happens to be encouraging Abed's irrational resentment that someone else might dare try to make him not behave irresponsibly?

Let's face it, Abed doesn't quite live in the "real" world the rest of these characters live in.

18. Admiral_Young

We also know from the Christmas episode that Abed internalizes his own personal problems that he is going through...perhaps he is going through something the others haven't detected yet, everyone has been through their own little problems in a way.

I forgot to mention I loved Jeff's hulking out ego spaz attack, and his kiss of Shirley was hilarious!

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Evil Abed appeared on an imagined starship in the Dreamatorium. I think that's enough to support Sci's statement that he's just a figment of Abed's imagination.

20. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

So I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. Even if the ending broke my heart a little.