DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I seriously want him off Legion of Superheroes. I am still a little sad that I finally had to drop that book. Just got so frustrated with his erratic story telling. I don't know if it has improved. It needs a new writer though.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hopefully that'll be the Christmas surprise.

He can always go and teach or write a book and leave it to younger folks. Heck even Hickman has said that LoSH is his favorite franchise.

3. Admiral_Young

Oh don't tease about that ;) Also don't put Scott Lobdell on as his replacement. That would also get me not to pick it back up.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Vaguely related to the New 52...

I've been buying Eaglemoss' DC Comics Chess Collection Magazine, and this week I got the Huntress piece.

The magazine that comes with it is... interesting. It tries to massage the history of the New 52 Huntress with the pre-Flashpoint Huntress, and what it creates is an interesting muddle -- the Earth-2 backstory, then "No Man's Land" and the Helena Bertinelli persona, and then Worlds' Finest. It makes sense, sort of, except that it's not clear to me at all that anyone in the New 52 Batfamily, except Damian, is even aware of Helena's existence.

It's a cool chess piece, by the way. I like this collection. It's pricey, but it looks great.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Too bad. You're not getting a "new" writer. You are, however, getting an old one. I think that this will be considered good news to Legion fans. :)

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Action, Detective, WF, Earth 2, Dial H, Smallville.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Morrison possibly actually made Mxyplyzyk work. That was a great story.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Action was awesome. Morrison has actually made me love Mxyplyzyk, and that is no small feat. I'll miss him on this title so much, but I also can't wait to see how he wraps this up.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think I'm dropping World's Finest. It was decent to start, but has just never really set my world on fire. This issue was just mediocre, and the awkward characterization of Damian (even if he's just a guest star) made it worse. I really do need to do some trimming from my pull list, so this one is the easiest to let go

9. Admiral_Young

I can't wait to read it. I love what Morrison did with Bat-Mite in RIP. Just Action Comics #15 and Before Watchmen Minutemen #5 for me today.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was hoping that the reference to Mxy already meeting Superman meant that the pre-Flashpoint universe still existed but I guess they were just referring to the future.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Was last year's Huntress mini-series related to the new 52, or not?

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was the same Huntress as in World's Finest.

13. Admiral_Young

I just finished Action Comics #15...oh boy, a ton happened in this issue...but ultimately this was beautiful, and I loved the back up story. I don't think I've ever liked Mxy more than I did in this version of the character. We also learn just how much interference in Clark's life this Lord V (I'm not going to bother to type out his entire name lol) has had, this was most interesting. I can't wait for Morrison's grand finale.

Also I'll probably check out Andy Diggle's run...but I don't see myself fully following it.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Gave up on Dial H. It's a fascinating concept, but the actual stories we've been getting haven't wowed me enough to want to keep up with it.

I still have to read that. I got all the issues when they came out.

15. Trekker4747

Dial H is on the fence for me, it's not grasping me and the concept is just getting too bizarre.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Does "Dial H" use heroes created by readers like the old series?

17. Trekker4747

Don't know.

Anyway, I've got to say I'm not a big fan of Morrison's run on Action it's just been overall odd and silly. Superman's self-titled book has been far better the last couple issues and I look forward to where it goes. I'm actually looking forward to Morrison LEAVING Action to see it become a tad-bit more grounded.

Detective was pretty good, nice use of Poison Ivy in the issue but MAN what disconnect between the "A" story and the second story between her and Clayface. In the main story she goes from being a gorgeous, shapely, red-head to in the second story looking like a meth-addict who just crawled out of a Gotham storm drain.

Different artists, sure. But MAN what a difference!

18. Admiral_Young

"Odd and silly" how? Morrison's work unusually involves grandiose ideas that at times can be a bit difficult to follow. He does take you on a roller coaster ride with his work and it can feel a bit overwhelming at times. I will say that the second half of his work has been a little erratic at times and not on par with the opening arc, but the last couple of issues have been back on track. It will be interesting to see what he does with Doomsday...or in the 52'Verse case...Super Doom!!!! :)

19. Trekker4747

"Odd and silly" hard to explain... Just the "tone" of the things he does. It's maybe not best exampled in this latest issue but he has a tendency to get just... "odd." See: A lot of what happens in All-Star Superman which is VASTLY overrated. An entire issue of which spent with Jimmy Olson bumbling around in a technicolor dreamcoat with near limitless assess to alien/advanced technology.

20. Admiral_Young

I guess the two of us aren't going to agree on Morrison :) I think I understand what you're attempting to say though. I'm really looking forward to the Snyder/Lee Superman book next year. That'll most likely be my Superman fix. Aside from the beautiful Kenneth Rocafort art...I still don't have much care for "Superman".