Star Trek: Tesseract

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by kes7, Jul 18, 2009.

1. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, he definitely had a point. What was intended to be a simple briefing on the fact that the Borg may be in the Alpha Quadrant pretty quickly devolved into Adele unwittingly dumping her mounting insecurities on the advisory board and using them in a way they were never intended to be used. It's got to be tempting in a way -- two former Captains to mine for experience, and a counselor who understands you in a way most people on your ship can't due to your mixed heritage. Then, she was so thrown off balance by Beckley she lost her focus and allowed that temptation to get the best of her. She's going to have to watch that in the future, for sure.

And yes, Adele has quite a few insecurities and flaws. She's only human, after all (well, 3/4 anyway).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. kes7

CHAPTER TWELVE

John Quigley was lying on his bunk, staring at the ceiling. In one hand, he held a tennis ball, which he bounced off the nearby bulkhead repeatedly, catching it when it fell back toward him. He could not sleep. At first, it had been simple adrenaline overload. Icheb’s collapse in the ready room of the Sol, his own sudden command of the away mission, and his subsequent rash decision to jump to slipstream in order to get his friend back to relative safety more quickly had added up to quite a morning for the twenty-seven year old lieutenant. His heart had still been pounding when he entered his quarters after walking Icheb back to his.

Now that the morning’s excitement was over, he was left with a cold dread. He had been lying there for more than three hours trying unsuccessfully to sleep and waiting for the other shoe to drop. He wasn’t sure which he feared more -- the whatever-it-was out there that had assaulted his best friend, maybe blown up a planet and some Borg cubes, and possibly even followed them back to the Tesseract ... or the dressing-down he was sure to get from Captain Oyugo before the day was out.

John still couldn’t believe he had made such a stupid decision. He was known for his tactical skills and efficacy in combat situations. Surely, not getting one’s crew killed or assimilated during a simple away mission fell under that heading. The truth was that he had panicked, and he didn’t like the feeling.

On the Titan, it had been different. Ever the peacemaker when it came to personal interactions, John had gotten along with almost everyone, but there also hadn’t been anyone he had been especially close to. It was easy to make rational decisions when the people around you were simply professional colleagues, just as it had been easy to pass the Bridge Officer’s Test -- in which he had to give the order to send a subordinate to certain death -- knowing that it wasn’t real. But here on the Tesseract, two of the people he cared about most were suddenly right there with him, and life-or-death decisions were suddenly much harder to consider. He knew he had failed this morning when he erred on the side of helping Icheb over following the safety protocols Icheb himself had laid down in the best interest of the entire crew.

John was tired of waiting. He considered locating Maren to see if she was off-duty, as she was always his first choice for talking things through, but he quickly decided there was no way he’d get away from a conversation with her without breaking his promise to Icheb to keep quiet about what he’d witnessed on the Sol. He wondered if there was a tactical simulation he could run, a briefing he could attend ... anything to keep his mind off his impending doom, whether professional or literal.

He didn’t have to think long. The sound he’d dreaded for the last four hours nearly made him jump out of his skin. His communicator emitted its familiar chirp, immediately followed by the captain’s stern voice summoning him to the bridge. Here we go, thought John. “On my way, Captain,” he responded stoically. He swung his long legs off the bunk, rose, and headed for the door.

As he walked to the turbolift, he wondered what the consequences were going to be for his actions on the Sol. He had a defense prepared -- he hadn’t actually disobeyed any orders, because Icheb had relieved himself and put John in command of the mission. From that point forward, the orders had been his to give. They could argue all afternoon over whether he had made the right call, but the fact was that it had been entirely his call to make. The captain could call him stupid, impulsive, reckless or anything else she wanted to -- but she couldn’t call him insubordinate. If Icheb had actually ordered him not to jump to slipstream, he wouldn’t have done it. At least, he was pretty sure he wouldn't have.

As John stepped off the turbolift and walked onto the bridge, Ensign Slidell gave him a sympathetic look from his position at Ops and glanced over at the ready room door. “She’s waiting for you,” he said. John nodded and buzzed the intercom.

“Come,” said Adele, and the door slid open. She looked up at John. “Lieutenant Quigley, please come in. Have a seat.”

John complied, awkwardly folding his lanky frame into one of the Starfleet-issue visitors’ chairs.

“Can I get you anything from the replicator? A glass of water? Coffee?” the captain asked. John was uneasy. He had expected hostility, not hospitality.

“No, thank you, ma’am, I’m fine.”

“Very well,” said Adele, taking a sip from her own glass of water. From her chair behind the large desk, she fixed John with a critical gaze for a moment, then began her questioning. “Mr. Quigley, I understand that you and my first officer were at the Academy together, is that right?”

John nodded. “Yes, ma’am, he was a year ahead of me,” he answered.

“Indeed,” replied Adele. “I had a look at your file after you got back this morning. Do you know what I found?”

John stared back at her silently for a moment, wondering where she was going with this. He shook his head. “No, ma’am,” he replied warily.

Adele met his gaze. “Two separate disciplinary hearings, one as a first-year cadet, the second the following year. The first one was after a fight in the Academy replimat. It seems someone said the wrong thing to a young Maren O’Connor, and you took it upon yourself to send the offender to the infirmary with a broken nose. You were placed on probation. The following fall, you got into another altercation, this time against three other cadets. Two of them were taken to the infirmary with rather serious injuries, and the third fled before security arrived.” Adele sighed. “I guess your natural talent for hand-to-hand combat partly explains why you came so highly recommended for security and tactical,” she said wryly. She continued, “You almost had your appointment revoked over that one, only Admiral Janeway stepped in on your behalf and asked for leniency as a personal favor to her. I can only speculate who might have called for her intervention. You see, that last fight wasn’t about anything those three cadets had done to you, was it, Lieutenant?”

John quickly averted his eyes from the captain at the memory. He could still see Admiral Janeway's enraged face as she had given him the ass-chewing of a lifetime, right before she had walked into that closed-door hearing and singlehandedly saved him from expulsion. He suddenly realized exactly what Adele was getting at. “With all due respect, Captain, that was almost six years ago. Is there a reason we’re taking this trip down memory lane?” he prodded her.

Adele continued as if he hadn’t said anything. “I read a portion of the transcript from the hearing. You fought those cadets because they were tormenting your best friend -- my first officer -- because of his history with the Borg. He wouldn’t stop them, so you did. I don’t blame you, really. If one of my closest friends was being treated the way I understand Commander Icheb was during his time at the Academy, I’d have been out for blood, too. Of course, I’ve never had the physical prowess to land two people in the infirmary, not without a weapon, anyway,” she said with another wry smile. For once, John didn’t smile back.

“When I put your actions this morning in context of your history, do you know what I see?” asked Adele.

“No, Captain,” John answered cautiously.

“I see a young officer with a lot of potential who loses all objectivity when it comes to his friends,” Adele said quietly.

John didn’t know what to say to that, so he launched into the defense he’d planned while lying on his bunk. “Permission to speak freely, ma’am?” he asked.

“Please do,” replied Adele.

“Ma’am, I want you to know that I didn’t disobey direct orders. Icheb -- Commander Icheb,” he corrected himself, “-- relieved himself of duty and put me in charge of the mission. I’m willing to admit I made a mistake in jumping to slipstream, but I wasn’t being subordinate.”

“I understand,” said Adele. “That’s why I’m not going to punish you as if you had been. But you need to learn to separate your feelings for the people you care about from your duties as a Starfleet officer. It’s pretty clear just looking at your records that you, Lieutenant O’Connor and Commander Icheb are very close. Until further notice, you will not be part of any mission that either of them has been assigned to. Since, as senior staff officers, between the two of them, they are assigned to pretty much all of the more desirable missions that you junior officers like to compete for, I’m sure this will be punishment enough until you figure out how to control your emotions. In the meantime, I’m going to have you start meeting with counselor Taran Madar to work through some of these issues.”

John groaned inwardly, but didn’t dare argue. “Yes, ma’am,” he said quietly.

“Also, Lieutenant ... you’re on probation. One more incidence of letting your personal relationships get in the way of your duty, and you’ll be demoted to Ensign immediately, with all of the loss of privilege that entails.”

“Yes, Captain,” replied John.

“Now, I suggest you go get cleaned up, Mr. Quigley. You have a launch ceremony to attend, and I must say, you’re a mess,” Adele said with a slightly amused smile.

John’s hand flew up to his head as he realized his sandy blond hair was completely disheveled. He hadn’t bothered to check it before leaving to see the captain, and he’d been tossing and turning on his bunk for three hours prior to that. Way to make an impression, he thought to himself. “Yes, ma’am,” he said, smiling weakly.

“You’re dismissed, Lieutenant.”

John rose to leave the ready room. As he reached the door, Adele called out to him. “Mr. Quigley?” John turned around and looked at the captain.

Adele smiled at him. “I regret that our getting to know one another had to be under such uncomfortable circumstances, but I do want to say ‘welcome aboard.’ If you’re half as loyal to the rest of this crew as you are to your friends from the Academy, I believe you’ll be a valuable asset to this mission.”

“Thank you, Captain,” John replied, grinning despite himself.

“That’s better, Lieutenant,” smiled Adele, as she felt a little bit of the young man’s confidence return. “I’ll see you tonight.”

John nodded and walked out of the ready room. He wasn’t thrilled about having to see a counselor, but all in all, he was relieved at the way his meeting with the Captain had gone. Well, except for one thing.

“Hey, Slidell,” he whispered as he passed by Ops, “Next time I go for a meeting with the captain, could you at least warn me if I look like a Kazon?” He pointed at his head, indicating the disarrayed condition of his hair, which was barely within Starfleet regulations for length, in addition to being a mess.

The ensign snickered. “Yes, sir,” he promised. John shook his head, chuckling. As he walked off the bridge, he made a promise to himself that he would do everything in his power not to let his captain down.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well played by Oyugo, separating the hyper-loyalty issues from the potential allegations of insubordination. The captain has a talent for handling people with just the right touch, without appearing either passive or overbearing.

And Quigley, for his part, had better raise some professional boundaries with his friends, or he's going to get busted down to this mission's Ensign Kim billet. :lol:

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

LOL..my exact thoughts...Keep it coming Kes7. Just read your new installment while watching BIG with my son...well done!!! I really like the development you are giving these characters..

Rob

5. kes7

Thank you both for the comments! Working on more ...

6. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reviewed this yesterday before last post but something went amiss. Grrr. Anyway, a lot of what I had to say was to concur with what others had commented already - the inclusion of the council is great conceit adding huge plot potentials, character interactions and conflict. The possibilities for political intrigue and jostling for power and influence is just too rich a vein not to be explored. I hope we see some of the like developing over the course of the story. But then I like dubious alliances and backstabbing in stories.

As others have said, this is bound to be a major headache for Adele. A huge source of frustration and a bureaucracy to contend with on her own ship never mind Admiralty. The fact she has an Admiral onboard as well as these advisors only compounds her issues. The Admiral in question too seems too wily and clever by far. In a way he has managed to subtly undermine and chastise the captain in front of the council but without making a negative impression of himself. I don't think I can trust him too easily and can see why Adele might be more than wary of him. He has huge potential to cause chain of command issues and power struggles later on.

I liked the concept of the council for it only makes sense considering the scope of the mission and the size of the ship. It explains too why a relatively inexperienced captain still finding her feet and command style could be given such an important job - with the council there to defer and/or ratify treaties or global issues. Especially so in light of Janeway's tenure in the Delata Q as the de facto Federation presence. No doubt upon her return many with Starfleet took umbrage to many of the decisions she took. This is their way to curtail damaging decisions made on the say so of one person.

I also liked how the captain is still finding her feet and is not quite comfortable or dominating this council. That'll be something she has to work on - unless the Admiral undermines her further. But it shows a character with potential to grow and change. Looking forward to seeing more of her development.

And again the idea of the council is a novel approach and shows the thought and attention you've put into this story. With the scope of the mission and the size of the ship little surprises and touches such as this are to be expected but all too often can only be hoped for. Really and truly a well turned out job.

7. kes7

Thank you so much for that really thoughtful review, mirandafave.

8. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

These installments are getting to become a must have. I love meeting the new characters you've intro'ed and it feels like watching a little friend grow up - following Icheb around like this. A great pleasure- thank you!

9. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All in all I think that was aptly handeled by Adele. She might have a few insecurites but she knows how to handle her crew.

I wonder if she is going to be a more hands-on captain who will deal with any issues with her crew herself instead of leaving it to her XO. In this case of course she couldn't delegate as it actually involved Icheb directly. But so far I think we might see a very involved command style from Adele.

10. kes7

Whether Adele turns out to be overly hands-on or not, I think we can all agree that a Human/Betazoid hybrid with 44 years of life experience is going to have a natural advantage over a post-adolescent Brunali ex-Borg drone when it comes to handling people issues. :borg: (Not saying anything bad about Icheb -- just acknowledging the facts.)

11. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

So, are you saying the Borg have people skills issues? Because...that's really what I'm hearing here. :lol:

12. Gibraltar

[Million-Voices-As-One]What we hear you saying is that we must respect your individuality and your right to make decisions in a dynamic environment... is that correct?[/Million-Voices-As-One] ;)

13. kes7

"Resistance is futile" is efficient, but uninspiring, which pretty much sums up what passes for Borg leadership. :lol: Luckily for Icheb, he was trained by the Borg, Seven, the VOY crew AND Starfleet Academy, so he's got a few more bases covered. ;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  14. kes7

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

My God, he’s a bigger freak than I am, thought Julian Bashir as he leaned back in his chair, sipping Tarkalean tea and reading the classified files that had arrived from Starfleet thirty minutes prior.

It seemed the ship’s first officer was genetically engineered, just like Julian himself. Only where Julian’s parents had simply wanted a smarter, faster, stronger, better son -- one they could be proud of -- Icheb’s parents had desired a weapon of mass destruction. His DNA had been altered before birth to produce a pathogen that attacked cybernetic life, and they had willingly put him in the path of the Borg to be assimilated, destroying nearly every drone on the unfortunate cube that had captured him. Only five immature drones, including Icheb, had survived in maturation chambers, and were rescued by the crew of the USS Voyager, whose holographic doctor had synthesized a treatment that required weekly injections in order to suppress the pathogen. Julian understood why Starfleet had classified this part of Commander Icheb’s medical history -- there was no telling what the wrong sort of person could do with this information.

Julian’s tea cooled as he became engrossed in the fascinating file. He had already studied the files on the Borg parts of the commander’s physiology extensively, but the young man’s DNA was what had him glued to the screen now. It had been tampered with even more extensively than his own had ever been. Brunali genetic expertise was apparently far beyond anything the Federation was capable of. It wasn’t just the pathogen his parents had created -- Icheb himself, as just a boy on Voyager, had developed a way of resequencing his own DNA to enable his Borg implants to continue functioning without the cortical node that was designed to regulate them. He had donated his own node to Annika Hansen, also known as Seven of Nine, to save her life when her node had failed. Julian wondered who had authorized the risky procedure.

Julian’s imagination began to wander as he thought about all the good he could do with this kind of genetic resequencing. He made a mental note to discuss it with the commander later. For now, however, he needed to see if the record could shed some light on the reason Icheb’s implants weren’t regulating his vital systems as well as they should.

The scans of the commander that Sheila Duggal had taken on the Sol had indicated many imbalances in his body chemistry -- nothing serious yet, but something clearly wasn’t right. When Julian had looked to Icheb’s medical records for some direction, he had noticed two things. First, there was much that had been classified and not included with the initial medical records that had been uploaded to the Tesseract’s database, so he had contacted Command, and ever-so-slightly (well, perhaps not so slightly) exaggerated the commander’s condition in order to obtain the complete file. The other thing Julian had noticed was that Commander Icheb had seen a different doctor for every physical the last four years, and all of them were mediocre no-name physicians who normally treated cadets and enlisted personnel. No doubt, they knew little about Borg physiology. Julian had a feeling he was missing something.

The computer sounded a soft alarm, jolting Julian out of his thoughts. He set his now-cold cup of tea down on the desk and silenced the alarm. He had set it to go off after Icheb was scheduled to end his regeneration cycle. Activating the comm. system, and picking up the cortical monitor Maren O’Connor had helped him modify earlier that day, he summoned both Icheb and the captain to sickbay.

Two decks above, Icheb opened his eyes as the computer announced the end of the six-hour regeneration cycle and his bed-turned-alcove powered down. He felt like he had been asleep for days. Quickly, he sat up and swung his feet onto the floor. He noted the time. It was 16:32, a little more than two hours before the launch ceremony. He recalled the events of the morning and wondered if there had been any news concerning the data they had collected at Aris 4, or their possible pursuers. His hand reached up and touched the back of his head almost involuntarily as he remembered the pain the neural probe had caused him. It was all gone now. He felt fine, or at least as well as he usually felt.

“Computer, locate Adele Oyugo,” he said aloud.

“Captain Oyugo is on the bridge,” the no-nonsense, female-sounding voice replied. Icheb resisted the irrational impulse to say ‘thank you.’ He stood up and walked to the lavatory. In the mirror, he could see that after six hours regenerating, he looked like his usual composed self again, but his hair was a mess. He quickly wet it and combed it into place, turning his head to both sides to ensure it was perfect before putting the comb away and heading for the bridge.

He wasn’t halfway to the turbolift before his communicator went off. “Bashir to Icheb, please report to sickbay.” Icheb fought to keep himself from rolling his eyes, a bad habit he had picked up from pretty much every human he had encountered since leaving the Borg. The doctor must have set an alarm to remind himself to check on Icheb when he had finished regenerating. The last thing Icheb felt like doing was seeing a doctor right now, but he really had no choice. He entered the turbolift and ordered, “Deck nine.”

When he arrived in sickbay, Julian Bashir was waiting for him holding a PADD that Icheb assumed must contain his heavily redacted medical records, and a small, nearly flat rectangular gray device about four by five centimeters in size. To Icheb’s surprise, the captain was standing next to him. Icheb briefly wondered why he hadn’t run into her in the corridor, considering she had been on the bridge a few moments earlier. He supposed his short detour to the lavatory to indulge his vanity had made the difference.

“How are you feeling, Commander?” Adele asked, as Julian picked up a medical tricorder and scanned him. Icheb managed to conceal his irritation at being scanned for the ninth time that day.

“I’m feeling much better, Captain, thank you,” he replied. “Dr. Bashir asked me to report to sickbay, I assumed he wanted to check up on me. I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

Adele glanced at Julian, then back at Icheb. “I’ve come to make a request.”

“Captain?” asked Icheb, surprised to hear the term ‘request,’ since the captain had the right to order him to do pretty much anything.

Julian jumped in before Adele could explain. He held up the small gray device. “This is a cortical monitor I’ve modified to maintain a passive interface with your neural transceiver. It’s programmed to give off a targeted Kedion pulse if the transceiver is externally activated. It should temporarily disable the transceiver while collecting as much information as possible about whatever initiated the link. It shouldn’t hurt too much, but it may render you temporarily unconscious.” The doctor eyed Icheb carefully as he gauged his reaction.

“And you want me to wear it,” Icheb said, glancing at Adele. It was a statement, not a question. He stared at the small device with an indiscernible expression on his face.

Adele gently grasped his arm at the elbow and made eye contact. “Commander, I want to do everything possible to allow you to continue performing your duties on this mission. But we can’t afford to have another incident like you had on the Sol. Your safety and the safety of the entire crew is at risk if we do nothing and whatever it was that probed you does it again. We’ve already had to alter our flight plan, change our security codes, and brief Starfleet on the situation, and we haven’t even left the quadrant yet. I’m open to alternatives, but the only one I can think of is to confine you to quarters with a dampening field, and I’m not sure that’s safe for your other implants, let alone fair to you. At least if you agree to this, you can still perform all your normal duties.”

Icheb couldn’t think of another alternative. Since he had given his cortical node to Seven, he was unable to control access to his neural transceiver without external tools, and he certainly couldn’t do it at a moment’s notice. If something wanted to interface with his transceiver, he couldn’t think of a better way to stop it than what the captain and the doctor were proposing. If it happened again, at least maybe they would get some information this way. He once again recalled the pain the neural probe had caused him, and his decision was made. He silently took the cortical monitor out of Julian’s hand and affixed it to the back of his own neck over the location of the neural transceiver. Once connected, the smooth rectangular device emitted a soft blue glow around the edges. Adele looked visibly relieved.

“Thank you,” she said with an apologetic, yet grateful look. Icheb nodded. Suddenly, he wanted to be anywhere but sickbay.

“Captain, is there any news from Aris 4?” he asked. “Have we received any new data?”

Adele shook her head. “No, not yet. And we appear to have gotten away with Lieutenant Quigley’s early slipstream jump. There’s been nothing on sensors since this morning. Even if something were to show up on sensors now, we’d be gone long before it gets here.” Icheb was relieved to hear this, for the sake of the entire crew, but especially for John, who had undoubtedly spent the entire day beating himself up over his own carelessness. He would have to find him later and see how he was doing.

“If it’s all right with you,” Icheb said, “I’d like to go get ready for the launch ceremony now.”

Adele nodded. “Go ahead, Commander. Just -- ”

“Keep the cortical monitor on at all times,” Icheb finished. “I know.” Adele gave him a sympathetic look in return.

Julian held up the PADD and started to say something, but one look at Icheb’s face seemed to make him think better of it. Whatever it was could wait. He lowered the PADD and said, “See you tonight, Commander.”

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  15. Gibraltar

Interesting chapter. Icheb still appears to be holding back, despite (or because) everything that's happened in the past 24-hours has been centered largely on him. He'd better fish or cut bait, because if he's hiding something it's going to look bad if Bashir discovers it first.

Bashir's his customary clever self, and I enjoyed seeing him weighing the potential medical benefits of Icheb's DNA re-sequencing. The captain was obviously uncomfortable with the necessity of having Icheb wear Bashir's device, but it was clearly a must if Icheb is to continue in his post as XO.

16. PSGarak

I like this older, slightly wiser Julian. You've progressed him naturally from when last we saw him at DS9. I also appreciate that Icheb can see the logic of the solution, even if he doesn't like it. It will be interesting to see what comes next.

17. mirandafave

Only getting to review the John Quigley section now kes7. Oops. Good installment. it delved into John's friendhip with Icheb without recourse to a flashback - which I've no problem with since I do it all the time hee hee - but the flow of the story is kept up here and we get to the crunch of seeing how the captain will size up her tactical officer. She does indeed have a deft hand handling her subordinates - like I say it's the issue with the Admiral and council I think are going to be her problem. Nicely done by her and a good point about remarking his loyalty as a good attribute to have for the ship - just the care required to think things through.
    I liked his own self-evaluation and finding himself wanting. It's nice to see reflective characters and he doesn't appear crippled by his introspection either. His assessment was pretty much the captain's so he has a good head on his shoulders.
    Continued good stuff.

18. mirandafave

The Bashir and Icheb face to face was well done. Icheb is wary, no doubt worried the good doctor will work out what's up with him and that I think explains the medicore doctors. But I've been wrong before.

Julian was well presented here. His thoughts on Icheb's genetic engineering mirroring thoughts about himself. Also liked how he puzzles things out. Very reflective and of course smart. Liking it very much. And perhaps this more tempered and mature Julain might find a friend in the captain. The two strike me as being a little lonesome but only because we've yet to find out more about them.

And again, good stuff.

19. kes7

I appreciate the feedback, everyone! Next up ... launch. Finally. (It's about time for them to get going, isn't it?)

20. PSGarak

Yay! Can't wait!