TOS: Assignment: Eternity finally available as ebook!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bfollowell, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Somehow I missed it but Star Trek: The Original Series: Assignment: Eternity, TOS numbered novel #84 was finally released as an ebook back in April 2013. I know a few of us have discussed older TrekLit titles that are AWOL for various assumed reasons that we would all like to see make the leap to digital. This was one of mine. I'll need to go through the list of missing titles soon to see if any others were slipped in and I missed them too.

This one was released on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and I'm assuming other resellers as well, on April 23, 2013.

Is anyone aware, off the top of their heads, of any other older Pocket/S&S titles that weren't available as ebooks?

- Byron

2. K. J. McAndrew

K. J. McAndrew Ensign Newbie

Diane Carey's "Final Frontier" and Greg Cox's "The Black Shore" also made it to ebook last year, although FF lost it's charming handwritten notes from George to Jim and Sam.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Just to clarify, do you mean the notes were printed instead of handwritten, or do you mean they were missing altogether?

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I believe Dragon's Honor by Kij Johnson and I made it to ebook as well.

5. bfollowell

Greg, I'm starting to notice a pattern. It seems like a lot of the AWOL books were related to you in one way or another. hmmmm...

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

There were a bunch of numbered Voyager novels that were missing, but I think most of those made it within the past couple of years.

7. bfollowell

I think most of these AWOL titles may have started making the digital transition a year or so ago when S&S started trying to clean up a lot of the older titles.

They've cleaned up the formatting and added fonts on older titles and added improved title pages for the titles that didn't have one or had a crappy one. The funny thing is, quite a few of the "improved" titles use the nicer, higher resolution title page as the cover as well, where the old versions actually had the correct cover image.

Two steps forward, one step back. Go figure.

- Byron

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's because I submitted the books on wax tablets . . . .

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Ah, damn, I reflexively went to hit "like" on that post!

10. K. J. McAndrew

K. J. McAndrew Ensign Newbie

Sorry, Christopher - I meant that the notes are typed, not absent!

It does lose something in that George goes out of his way to explain why his notes are all hand written and take ages to arrive home, when the typeface is exactly the same as the rest of the text. While I suppose it could be possible to scan and insert the cursive passages, it would cause massive problems with text resizing and reflowing on the e-readers.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, as long as the letters are still part of the book, that's the most important thing.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of something I've been wondering about. In novels like Sword of Damocles, Harbinger, and The Brave and The Bold, do they include the ship/station schematics? I have all but TB&TB in paperback, and I was curious if I get the e-book of TB&TB Book 2 if I'll get the IKS Gorkon schematics.

13. bfollowell

JD, if someone else doesn't pipe in before then, I'll check when I get up tomorrow and let you know. I know for certain that Harbinger has the Vanguard schematics. I can't recall on the others. I have all of these in ebook form though, so I should be able to let you know easily enough.

- Byron

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

15. bfollowell

I checked my epubs. Harbinger and The Brave and The Bold 2 do have the schematics. Sword of Damocles does not. Also, I checked a couple of older titles. The older Original Series titles, Fortunes of War 1 - Dreadnought! and Fortunes of War 2 - Battlestations! have the original schematics from the paper versions as well.

- Byron

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks. I'm very happy to hear about TB&TB. I've been curious to see the IKS Gorkon schematics for a while.