Thor 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, May 6, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Mmmm, I see what you mean. On the other hand, I suppose one could say it's only sensible when one is stuck to ask for help and other input.

2. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should also be remembered that Whedon is a writer/director. Mr. Taylor is not. If this was a writing problem it makes perfect sense to ask for help.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's also not unusual to have a writer write a scene - more in television than movies, but still. It's no shame to collaborate and I'd rather someone be praised for making the scene work better rather than derided (or else, they might not seek help to make the scene work next time).

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, as a Director, it's your job to realize a scene isn't going to work, and to fix it so it does work.

How many times have we seen Directors blasted on this board, because they didn't fix a scene(s) that didn't work?

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, there's nothing worrisome there. That's just par for the course. Very few movies (or books) are perfect from conception; part of the process is trying something out, deciding it's not quite working, and working with your collaborators to find a solution. Script doctors and reshoots and all that are not necessarily ill omens; it simply means that your work-in-progress is just that.

(I'm currently slaving away on the third draft of a book, and I'm fully aware of what parts are fine and which still need work. And so is my editor!)

7. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In some ways, the team that Marvel assembled (ahem) to make these movies are treating it more like a TV series. Writers and directors for shows with episodes heavy in continuity will work together in order to make it as cohesive as possible. Coming from Game of Thrones, Alan Taylor would have been used to being able to help and ask for help in directing his episodes.

8. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

hasn't Whedon done quite a few script fixes?

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yes. SPEED and TOY STORY come immediately to mind. At one point, he was quite in demand as a script doctor. (As was Carrie Fisher, I believe.)

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't this also part of what Whedon was brought on for in the first pace? To kind of oversee all of the movies, to help keep things consistent in both quality and story.

If you've got someone like Joss Whedon at your disposal you'd be a fool not to ask for his help if you feel you need it.

11. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I think that's fair.

I also think it shows the director has good judgment about what works and what doesn't work. The fact that he wanted help on those scenes but not others indicates he thinks the others are fine the way they are.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, in a situation like that I'd almost be tempted to screw some of it up on purpose just so I could work closer with Joss Whedon.

13. Alidar Jarok

I don't think the studio would appreciate it. After all, he isn't working for free.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. Turtletrekker

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched Thor recently. What were those 17 other phenomena that Natalie Portman tries to chase down (she talks about that in the very begiining, shortly before they see the bridge/storm run Thor over)? Did New Mexico get regular visits by Asgards?

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

They were surprised that the latest one wasn't an aurora-type phenomenon, so presumably the others were. I'd guess that the barrier between Earth and Asgard was weakest in that area of New Mexico for whatever reason, and they'd see lightshows when the Bifrost was being used to go elsewhere. Hence the fact that they saw one when it Loki was using it as a weapon.

19. Turtletrekker

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm eyeballing $100m....yeah, I know that's a big % increase over Thor 1 but I believe in The Avengers affect followed by IM3s monster success with the Tumbler Loki fandom to push my longshot prediction to reality!!