I really am getting antsy for a new series.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Lighthammer, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Commander Riker

Commander Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Would there be anyway to get a show on the air by organizing fans behind the idea? This has worked with mixed success to keep shows from being canceled. I know CBS owns the rights, but maybe they would be OK with someone purchasing the syndicating rights.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not really.

There's no rational (business) reason for CBS to care about Star Trek on TV. So a series would only happen if someone like Bryan Fuller or Seth McFarlane decide to use their clout to make it happen. Be glad that people like that even care about making a show, because without them, we'd be sunk.
    Oh in that case, let me break open my piggy bank. I wonder if CBS would take a million dollars in change?

3. Commander Riker

Commander Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I guess it would be too expensive. They are probably going to sit on it for another 10 years until they've exhausted the movies of the relaunch.

4. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sure provided the Fans pony up enough cash. I am thinking something similar to how much it costs to make Terra Nova. So should be about in total the cost of a blockbuster movie in other words several hundred million. However, no CBS is perfectly continue to leech off the franchise and not develop anything new. You want to buy the rights outright look north a billion.

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Watch how fast CBS scrambles to put on a half assed show when the Watchowski brothers' 'Jupiter Ascending' movie comes to tv and is an awesome success leaving Star Trek in the dust and forgotten.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye, that is definitely true. I've watched it countless times and the enjoyment is still there and perhaps even greater. In fact, I just saw Let That Be Your Last Battlefield for the first time in awhile and really enjoyed it!

That said, I'm ready for a new series as well. Unfortunately, I don't see ANY evidence of that happening. I think it's even less likely that it'll happen in the original universe rather than the rebooted universe. Ah well.

Mr Awe

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Actually, apparently Fans did come up with a pile of cash to try and keep Enterprise running for a 5th year, but, it fell on deaf ears.

A New Trek Series, that didn't have a shoestring budget, would most likely need a budget of at least $1.5Mil per episode, and that still would require cutting all corners possible. So, even with a 13 episode season, that's still about $20Mil budget, and I imagine, they'd also want some starting capital to build initial sets and so forth, so, probably couldn't be done well for less than $25Mil for the first 13 episode season.

8. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It would have to build on success and to me that's like seeing the bad robot guys win again and again and again. Very disconcerting. Man, they can't lose. MU.

9. Temis the Vorta

Here's another possible route to a revival, a lot more plausible than fan bake sales: CBS and Netflix may partner to revive Jericho.

That would set a good precedent for Star Trek (assuming the budget works out - still a big if) because Star Trek fits the Netflix profile beautifully - a well known brand name with a fanbase loyal enough that just one show might inspire them to subscribe.

That's Star Trek's big advantage - it has appeal to subscription-based services that few other famous names in TV history can match. The trick is, getting one of them interested. The other candidate is Showtime (part of CBS), but space opera isn't very compatible with their existing lineup, especially a series associated with free TV. Netflix has no problem with the "taint" of free TV, being willing to revive Arrested Development.

10. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

What about me? I'm from Romania ... no Netflix in here ... I don't want to wait for the blu-ray release ...

11. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

interesting but jericho is pretty cheap. besides some military hardware, its mostly decimated small towns.

12. Temis the Vorta

CBS might retain rights to most regions, where Netflix has no presence, so you could get their shows through whatever channel you now get CBS shows.

Netflix is equivalent to HBO or Showtime, a subscription channel that makes and delivers shows. If it doesn't exist in your country, they can make deals with whatever system does exist to deliver the shows. If there's money to be made, someone will make it.

I also gotta wonder, what's the holdup to Netflix's streaming service being rolled out globally? DVDs/blu-rays etc require complex local setup to use the mail system, hire people to turn around the discs, etc, but streaming is the future anyway and eventually all physical media will be phased out.

13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

International streaming rights are even more complex than DVD/BD rights. At least with discs you know how to buy the discs like a rental company. For streaming you need to negotiate the rights to each show with its studio for each market you want to serve.

14. Temis the Vorta

Yeah I see the problem. Even if Star Trek streaming rights were simple to negotiate with CBS, Netflix can't get by on one show alone. It needs thousands to make any market worth moving into.

Still, it's the most likely route to getting more Star Trek of anything that's been discussed so far, if only because CBS seems to be willing to try new things where streaming is concerned. Their corporate complacency is the biggest obstacle.

15. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Who isn't. Trek lives on the small screen, the movies are just extras and with TWOK being repeated ad infinitum they are even less of a substitute for TV Trek than they would be otherwise.

16. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was in Calgary last weekend along with some 40000 other ST fans. I looked around at the crowds, it was like Aerosmith when Riker came out.

There's a huge market for ST. I really didn't realize

17. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ST convention was trending on Twitter even, although, Wil Weaton was twittering a ton that day too lol.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think a series is likely before the Abrams film series has wrapped up, and to be honest I stopped watching Enterprise somewhere in season two, so I've made my peace with new Star Trek not being a regular part of my TV diet.

...made my peace, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it back or at the least more space opera TV. Well, one does what one can.

19. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Well Season 3 is not bad at all, but I really really recommend to watch Season 4. It's in my top 10 favorite Star Trek seasons (from 28 in 7th place is not bad at all for Enterprise ...)

20. Temis the Vorta

A TV series makes the most sense if its debut coincides with the launch of the third movie, to maximize PR and pass the torch. So they'd need to start planning a while before that - not starting before the BO is in on the second movie, since that will be an important factor as well - anyway, we'd be hearing about it at least a year before it launches if not sooner.