The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I suppose it's possible, but when you factor in the fact that the majority of those take place in the final 2 years it seems less likely. It would be interesting to see those numbers broken down by year, but that was a more ambitious endeavour than I was up to at the moment. Maybe sometime.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

87 adventures per year means one adventure every four days, which is definitely impossible. For one thing, a large percentage of those adventures take considerably more than four days apiece, with many covering weeks or more. "The Paradise Syndrome" alone spans two months. "Mind-sifter" in Bantam's The New Voyages spans over a year.

For another thing, travel time has to be taken into account. Space is enormous and one should logically expect weeks to pass between consecutive adventures. Especially if characters are injured or the ship is damaged at the end of one mission but they're back to normal by the next. (In "Tomorrow is Yesterday," Spock estimated it would take at least three weeks at a starbase to undo the Cygnetians' reprogramming of the computer.)

Not to mention that it's unrealistic to expect them to go from life-threatening adventure to life-threatening adventure with no downtime. Sure, you could assume that Starfleet tended to assign them specifically to high-risk situations, but a lot of TOS stories start out with routine star mapping or planetary surveys or delivery runs. It stands to reason that they would've had a significant number of routine, uneventful missions in between the dramatic, dangerous ones.

So really, even fitting 79 adventures into 3 years -- or 101 adventures into 4 years, counting TAS -- is pushing it. That's just 25-26 adventures per year, meaning about one every two weeks on average. Given travel, repair, and recovery time between televised missions, and given the duration of the missions themselves, even that would leave very little room for extra adventures in between. Fitting in one adventure every four days? Completely out of the question. (Not to mention how many TOS novels and stories contradict one another anyway.)

3. ryan123450

My update this month includes a simple Abrams-verse timeline including the comics, YA novels, game and films. I think someone asked for this when I first published the site, and I figured some people would find it useful, even though it doesn't connect with the Lit-verse.

http://startreklitverse.yolasite.com/simple-abrams-reading-list.php

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Thanks for the list! Because the alternative Trek is so small yet it invites spending an evening or two on a chronological experience of the whole story.

5. ryan123450

The guys at Literary Treks were kind enough to recommend the Reading Guide on this week's episode. Thanks again guys! http://trek.fm/literary-treks/

And I just updated the site for another month's releases.

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  6. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We love promoting the lit universe and the fan resources out there like yours! Thanks for all your hard work!

7. ryan123450

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Great lists Ryan. Thanks :techman:

9. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Great site However i think you just added 10 more book to my overall reading list as as to get the full view of the universe. i was only be hide by 10 books now i am way be hide. where i would like to be not including the new frontier that i would like to read but no time.
    Thank you

10. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

On the list, shouldn't The Buried Age be apart of The Lost Era?

11. ryan123450

The Complete Pocket Books Novel List?

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It actually has both TNG and "A Tale of the Lost Era" on the cover, so seems to me that it's one that could be included in either or both series.

13. ryan123450

Yes, I waffled on what to do with both The Buried Age and Terok Nor before deciding on what I did.

Does anyone who has read the last few TOS novels have any info on references to the Lit-verse in any of them? I'm wondering specifically about the five I've not read: Devil's Bargain, The Weight of Worlds, The Folded World, The Shocks of Adversity, and Serpents in the Garden. If anyone knows of any links in them to the Lit-verse I'd be excited to hear about them.

14. Markonian

Serpents in the Garden does not contain any references to TrekLit that I know of, only to "A Private Little War".

I've read The Shocks of Adversity right after it came out. As far as I remember, there were no references to TrekLit. I remember keeping an eye out for continuity tidbits but only found refences to ENT.

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Although a certain curse word established to be of Goeg origin in Shocks... was first used in Losing the Peace, indicating that the unseen utterer of the word in the latter book may have, in retrospect, been from the Domain.

16. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I had also slipped in a passing reference to M'Benga's last assignment prior to the Enterprise on a frontier starbase, which was a nod to the Vanguard series. And Lt. David Frank had first appeared in my Constellations short story "Ambition."

17. ryan123450

Great, thanks for the info!

18. Markonian

What was the curse word, anyway? Unfortunately, I don't recall it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Goeg Domain, or whatever became of it, still around. It reminded me of the Terran Empire, which the chance of being reformed.

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Pyurb. :)

20. ryan123450

I made a somewhat odd addition to my website today. A chronological reading/watching list for the new Star Wars canon. It has the films/Clone Wars/Rebels and the books and comics that have been published since the EU Reboot.

Plus I have a review of the first canon Star Wars novel, A New Dawn.

http://startreklitverse.yolasite.com/oops--this-is-star-wars.php