Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

BTW, I don't mean to sound as if I believe that JJ is being disloyal to fans. I am just saying that I understand how it can be perceived that way.

If he wants to direct SW, that is fine by me. I just hope that it doesn't interfere with the Trek franchise / the ability for the next Trek film to be released in a timely manner (i.e. I hope that we don't have to wait years and years for the next one).

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [​IMG]
    :lol:

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

200 quatloos on the redskirt!

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Conan mentioned it, tonight on his show, so it must be real. ;)

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

MSN used a photo where it looks like he's giving all of us the finger.

[​IMG]

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

What? Abrams is doing CONAN, too? By Crom, what demon sorcery is this?

(What? You didn't mean that Conan?)

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: "Worlds are colliding, Jerry!" [Vague "Seinfeld" reference.]

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol: Conan has a show?

So it begins...

[​IMG]

Bad robot. Get back to your franchise...

9. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I so called this months ago. I'm actually disappointed by this. I know JJ was coy about even doing a second film when he was producing Super 8. He has always on the "eh" side about even doing a trilogy. Now we have our answer.

Sigh so who do you guys want or think should helm Trek in the future?

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's absolutely no reason why J.J. can't work on both films. Considering the likelihood of staggered release dates, there is no actual issue here.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Time and energy and the scale devoted to two very large projects like this. I doubt it he'll do both at the same time. Man will need down time. Not to mention his other projects.

12. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I didn't like the previous film, so I'm not too upset at seeing him (apparently) not be on board for the third "reboot" film. Then again, for all we know, Into Darkness will bomb and there will be no third film anyway. If there is, then it'll be interesting to see what direction somebody else takes it in. I can only imagine they'd go with something along the lines of the previous film, given that it was an undeniable commercial success.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

STiD is not going to bomb.

14. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Abrams has done a great job with trek, but I'm sure his work can be continued by other masters ofthe chair .

The ground work and casting is done, someone else can come in and do a great job

Sam mendes maybe?

He did Great with the third "nu bond" maybe he can do it again with the third "nu trek"

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Agreed. But I must admit, for me, this news makes the post STID landscape of the franchise just a little more uncertain.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Maybe there'll be a TV project of some kind on the air by Sept. 8, 2016? The actual fiftieth anniversary doesn't necessarily have to be honored on the wide screen.

17. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering how the Bond50 promotional push helped Skyfall become the most successful film in its franchise (it was always likely to do well, but breaking the Thunderball barrier was extraordinary) I suspect Paramount will move heaven and Earth to get a film out in 2016, with or without Abrams.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Actually, this is a good idea.

When you think about it, for a series that began on television, and IMO is best fit for television, to not be on the air in the era TV has finally surpassed film in the storytelling craft is unusually conspicuous. This might be the excuse it needs to return.

Orci and Kurtzman can run a Trek TV series while Abrams prances around the galaxy far, far away.

Word of mouth had a lot more to do with Skyfall's success than the anniversary which was trivial for most people.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

so whats so bad about him directing star wars?

its like that odd attitude some people have that you can't like both wars and trek.

i'm really interested in seeing star wars done by a competent director.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. If I were only a Star Wars fan I would be checking out this film to see what Episode VII was in for.