MLP:FiM S3E11 - "Just For Sidekicks" Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 26, 2013.

?

Episode Grade

1. A

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode Title: "Just For Sidekicks"
    Episode Air Date: Saturday, January 26th, 2013 / 10:30 AM EST, the HUB

SUMMARY:
    "In an effort to get his hands on some gems, Spike decides to offer his pet-sitting services to Twilight and her friends, but after convincing them that he’s capable of such a task, he realizes too late that pet-sitting is more work than it seems."

--------------

Alright, alright, alright! [/Matthew McConaughey impression]

We're back with a new episode, and this one seems to focus on Spike and the non-pony background characters affectionately known as "pets"! This one should be interesting, as it's taking a different course than what we've seen this season, or even last season for that matter, so I am curious to see how it will play out. Now, as always, you know the rules, but I will state them again: Talk about the episode as much as you want, but all spoilers must be in spoiler code! I usually say 3 PM EST, but I'm pushing it forward to 5 PM EST, because I've noticed some folks are unable to see the episode until later. That said, post away, my Bronies!

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

OBLIGATORY PONY POST. MLP SUBROUTINE ENABLED.

Mmm. Yeah. I just can't work up any enthusiasm for this one. Maybe it's because we've already done a Spike episode this season, or maybe I'm just getting burned out on the season 3 vibe. Whatever. Hopefully my lack of interest means I'll end up pleasantly surprised.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

/me is apprehensive

The last two episodes I had lots of issues with, and one of those was a Spike episode (two Spike episodes and not a single Rarity-centric episode this season?). So, my enthusiasm is not high.

Although...

"In an effort to get his hands on some gems..." - is Spike playing the Gameloft game too? :p

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I know, right?

EDIT: Due to still being awake because reasons, I'll likely be sleeping through this one live. I'll see you guys whenever I finally watch it...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Reasonably OK. It was pretty much by-the-numbers: there were some good, funny moments, and the Crystal Empire was a nice twist; but, man, Spike was really mean and obnoxious in this one. Thought it might be "Secret of My Excess" all over again - good that Zecora called him on it, but it started to grate quite quickly.

More bad characterisation of Rarity, too - it seems like the writers have forgotten that she's the Element of Generosity (seriously, a tiny gem?).

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I have to disagree with you there, Dark Horizon. Rarity might be the Element of Generosity, but she has, on more than one occasion (without Discord's influence, I might add) shown herself to be... less than generous. While she'll gladly help and give, she's also got quite the manipulative streak. I still love her, though. :)

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

This was the best episode in a while. Lots of fun moments.

8. Amaris

Yay! New pony is always good! :D
    I loved it.

It was cool that they've began to fully integrate the Crystal Empire into the narrative now. Also, a really good callback to "Secret of my Excess". I squee'd multiple times with both Fluttershy being Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash's interactions with Tank. I've always known beneath that roiling bravado lay the heart of a sensitive and sweet mare! Also, Dashie blushing is best Dashie.

Spike continually eating his own gems was funny. The CMC were at their best this episode (Sweetie Belle squee'ing over Angel Bunny may have nearly put me in a diabetic shock!), I think, and while Angel Bunny can be a pain, he does have a good heart when it suits him. ;)

Also, Applejack's line about the dogs barking was cute.

All in all, a great episode, lots of fun, clever moments, so I easily give it an "A". It's not a grand adventure, but it is a fun ride. :D

9. Peach Wookiee

I think Angel is more than a tad spoiled. Very smart too. And Opal is a bit spoiled too.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Season 1 esque and better than several previous ones, I loved it but Spike was pretty annoying in it, he should really have been turning to his greedy mode but didn't.

Either way very good with a lot of nods to previous episodes.

11. Peach Wookiee

^I think Spike has started to mature. Also... I think his fear checks his greed now.

12. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

Decent. There was a lot of good continuity. But there was one seriously bad bit of continuity. It has been established for the past 2 seasons that gems are near worthless to ponies. Now they're considered viable currency? What happened to bits?

13. Peach Wookiee

^When was it established that they're worthless?

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

A nice, little episode. I liked the way Dashie behaved and tried to hide her affection for Tank and the inclusion of the CMC. Also, my favourite pet, Opal, showed up and didn't disappoint.

15. Amaris

Blushing Dashie is best Dashie. :D

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, her moments with Tank this episode were just so adorable. That little sneaked nose boop was d'awwww

[​IMG]

17. Peach Wookiee

So she's got Scootaloo and Tank. It was good to see Tank again.