Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

If I play in single player mode, isn't my PC playing the other character? I am very unlikely to buy this game if I need to have an Internet connect up.

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's how most co-op titles handle singleplayer. The quality of the AI varies between games, but I did read one article that says the AI for the non-player character is fairly good.

3. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Ok, so i won't be forced to play with somebody else. can't wait.

4. bullethead

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I have decided to wait a while until affer the pc game is out.

7. Haggis and tatties

^^^I am not expecting a A:CM type senario for the game, but i suspect it to simply be a mediocre FPS wrapped in a Trek skin at this stage, and even though its Trek i dont need another £40 mediocre FPS sitting on my shelf. lol

But it's telling that with only two weeks to go no offical reviews from any gaming sites of the final retail product which they must have got weeks ago has appeared, i assume that's because of a review embargo, i hate these things, a very dubious practice this review embargo stuff.

But yeah at this stage i will skip pre-order, i can wait two weeks now to see what's what, fingers crossed i am just being overly-cautious due to A:CM.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not telling, that's standard practice. "Telling" is when it's the morning of release and they still haven't appeared (which means the devs didn't send the game out to be reviewed).

9. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

The one review we have looks promising to me, but i waited for this since Elite Force 2.

10. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

We should also remember that faulting the game for having some graphics about a year out of date isn't their fault. The game is a tie-in to the movie, and the movie was supposed to/could have been released 6 months to a year ago.

No word on the Move accessory? Shame it was dropped if for no other reason than a cool toy.

11. bullethead

I think there's a better explanation for the graphics: the Asian market. Gamasutra recently posted a bunch of hardware statistics from Unity (a game engine provider) that point to 48% of the PC market using Windows XP, mostly in Asia. This game, like STID, seems to be aiming for a more international market and using tech that would alienate such a big chunk of gamers in a market would be a bad idea. However, that means the developers can't use newer versions of DirectX, limiting what they can do with the graphics.

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

It would be interesting to hear the comments from the developers after the game is released. I personally think that the story is what matters, look at all the people clammoring for the 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rights games. Those were fun for the story, and most games live or die by that.

I think this game looks great, even if it doesn't set a new standard.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wonder if we're going to get a demo prior to release?

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be nice. I doubt it.

I can't find the article now, which is annoying (I think it was on Gamasutra?), but apparently games sell better when there's not a prerelease demo (since you don't get people who play the demo, and go "itch scratched", and then don't buy the full product).

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, they already have my money! :lol:

16. bullethead

It was more or less republished verbatim on other sites, but that's the gist of it.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching the Trekmovie.com videos, I really like the banter between characters (especially Scotty's whining about how complicated the transporter is to use, and McCoy's "Hell, I even graduated!" snark at Kirk) and the aoundtrack, but I'm not sold on the graphics or gameplay. The blurry low-res backgrounds in some of the space scenes are terrible. Those don't look like distant stars, they look like a flat picture on a skybox.

Nice that we get to see more of the Enterprise - I recognize that multi-level corridor intersection from the Into Darkness trailers (when the gravity goes wrong), and could that huge area seen at the end of "Uninvited Guest" be the mentioned-but-as-yet-unseen Enterprise plaza?

18. bullethead

19. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Looks better than I thought it would. Lookin' forward to playing.

20. Haggis and tatties

Hmmm...still on the fence with this, these cherry picked bits have not helped, and i notice through all those videos they dont comment at all on the game other than what's happening on the screen, bit strange not to mention the obvious stuff like low textures and frame rate issues you can see in the videos.

Only got a week now anyway, see what happens after release.