Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2013.

1. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There is no question in my mind that Klingons will feature very heavily in the next film. A Klingon conflict was foreshadowed in this film, the Klingons are hugely popular and well-known in general -- especially among the young fanboys who are the target demographic. There's a hundred different ways the writers can make the Klingons the antagonists. It doesn't have to involve a full-out war, though it certainly could. And it gives the filmmakers plenty of opportunities to create fight scenes and chase scenes and tons of pew-pew.

Yes, the Klingons are very familiar but that's part of the mass appeal. Besides, these will be NuKilingons. We've already seen that they look a little different. Who knows what else will be different about them in this altered timeline?

I'm also convinced that we'll see an affair between Kirk and Carol Marcus and NuDavid will be spawned. Aside from the "it's nice to have a family" foreshadowing at the end, I also think there was a bit of foreshadowing in the scene with Carol and McCoy. Of all the anecdotes McCoy could have related to Carol in the torpedo scene, the writers chose to have him talk to her about delivering babies. And since NuKirk has major daddy issues, it could be an interesting bit of character development for him to find out he's going to be a father himself.

Other possibilities: a subplot about Spock going through pon farr. And for everyone who thought that Kirk's resurrection was too easy, there could still be some fallout for him in the next film. Kirk got some of Khan's blood while simultaneously losing 100 percent of his own blood. Maybe it will have an effect on Kirk in the next film.

Finally, the next film needs more McCoy!

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

QFT

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Well how about a woman human captain or first officer or command officer. Someone that has some lines instead of searching around in the background to see a woman. It doesn't have to be JL or some other crazy. I'm even desperate enough to ask Kirk to say something like "Captain Emily Thorton of the Potemkin - she's hot"

But in all the Star Trek series aside from one notable exception I cannot remember one series regular human women who was a captain or first officer or even command officer. Just Janeway and I might give you Yar (although technically she wasn't from Earth but was sort of human).

Uhura and Marcus look like there there to be somebody's girlfriend. I know its a movie and having them fill romantic roles kills two birds with one stone.

Sorry I'll finish off my feminist rant with:

I'd like a human female to be seen in the next movie as a captain or first officer or lead a team.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'll vote for that. :techman:

5. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Please don't take this for anything racist or sexist, I don't mean it that way at all, but I just about fell out of my seat laughing. Just left one thread here where the big rant of the evening is racism and now my very next thread, is a sexism rant. LMAO. To address the issue here. The writers here have vastly improved the role of females in Trek (especially TOS) which is good. Women carry much more responsibility in today's society than they did even during the time TNG was produced and yes, they should be thus represented. The meatier the role the better.

6. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, both of these. It seems pretty clear to me that they're gonna do Klingons in the next film. Then the trilogy will be Vulcans and Romulans, Khan and Klingons. And that's Star Trek, as far as the public is concerned.

I'd personally love Tholians, or even reimagined Borg, if done well. But I'm sure it will be Klingons.

And I think it very well might happen during that "missing year". That would leave the 5-year mission open to that TV show we're all hoping for.

7. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a step forward from TOS, certainly. But for strongest female characters in Trek? DS9 - hands down.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An alternate alternate alternate universe movie?

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I guess it's too much to hope that they'll do something newish rather than drag more been-there-done-that's out of the archives. Personally, I loved the opening sequence of the film and seeing the crew with THAT kind of energy dealing with a strange new world would make me very happy.

And, honestly, if they're not so concerned about trying to please the hardcore audience, why even go back to the well?

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Major Kira Nerys.

And for non-regulars:

Admiral Nechayev.

Captain Rachel Garrett.

Etc.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

So would I. :confused: I can't tell, were you under the impression that I disagree with that? I was arguing against the idea that they should follow any outdated 60s era restrictions on showing female captains.

12. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kira wasn't human, even partially so. She was Bajoran.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kira was humanoid and had to be pretty darn close physically to carry a human baby to term.

14. Belz...

Racist ! ;)

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the studio decides that Cumberbatch has contributed significantly to STID's international box office they'll likely insist that Khan return in ST 3.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does he have a Khantract?

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Belz...

Oh, Kahn it, people.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Star Trek I: Massive, technologically-advanced alien ship attacks Earth. Spock has emotional problems.
    --Check.

Star Trek II: Kirk second guesses himself and makes a tactical blunder. Khan gets pissed and seeks revenge. Dr. Carol Marcus shows us how smart she is.
    --Check.

Star Trek III: Dr. Marcus creates some device that can be used as a weapon. Rogue Klingon wants it. Enterprise blows up.
    --Check?

20. Belz...

Yeah, when you search for a specific pattern you're bound to find it.