Is it worth it to see the other half of season one?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Okay, so I remember really loving TNG when I watched it, but that was a long time ago and only late in the series. I tried to watch season one, and I got halfway through and stopped.

So, my question is this: Is it worth it to watch the rest of season one? If not, is there a place you'd say to start watching from because I know I liked it in the latter seasons???

I'm really just trying to figure out where I should pick this series back up.

Thanks. :)

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Yes. There's some good episodes at the back of Season one. Conspiracy, The Neutral Zone...

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, if you like TNG, then you might have missed some you'd enjoy, & why wouldn't you finish watching the remainder just for completion? I'll assume you made it through the first 12. The ones you might like among the last 12 are

Home Soil
    Heart Of Glory
    Arsenal Of Freedom
    Conspiracy
    The Neutral Zone

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    yes. The second half is much better than the first, and if you already made it through stuff like "naked now" and "code of honor" why would you stop just as things were getting better?

episodes like "110011001" "conspiracy" and "heart of glory" aren't just good season 1 episodes, they're among the best TNG episodes period.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. I think all of TNG is worth seeing once.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just rewatched Coming of Age. It's not too bad either

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the episodes in the second half of the season show much improvement I'd stick with it.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Thank you so much, everyone. I'll check out the rest of the season then. Someone mentioned "Code of Honor," which was really bad to me, and I wondered if I was only signing up for more of that. I'm glad to hear that I'm not.

9. Tiberius

When you get to Season 7...

Skip Sub Rosa. Your brain cells will thank you.

10. sonak

if the goal is saving brain cells, skipping "Genesis" might be better advice. (I don't actually advocate skipping any episodes, because taste is subjective and you won't know what you missed).

11. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just to offer a somewhat contrarian viewpoint: I agree with Mojochi's list, in that those are pretty much the best season 1 eps (and would add "Symbiosis"), and they ARE better than the likes of "Code of Honor" or "Justice". But the best of season 1 pales in comparison to the best of season 3-7; I'd say those eps top out at like 6.5 or maybe 7 out of 10. And depending on where exactly you stopped watching, you may still have some serious clunkers ahead, as well.

IMO, "Genesis" is better than "Sub Rosa" (or season 6's "Man of the People"), though only by virtue of being slightly more watchable ("Genesis" is still dumber than a bag of rocks, but has some fun/cool moments; the other two don't even have that). I agree, though, that every ep is worth seeing once, if only to form your own opinion of it.

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

Thank you, everyone. I will keep Sub Rosa and Genesis in mind for the clunkers. :)

13. Tiberius

Actually, I don't mind Genesis. It's got a cool shot of the Enterprise adrift, it's got big scary spider, it's got Riker as a caveman, and Worf spraying venom which scared the hell out of my gf when she saw it.

Not a great episode, but certainly not one of the dregs.

14. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Yea, Season 1 is not bad, it has some bad ones, but it's not bad at all.

15. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes. The second half is actually more entertaining than the earlier episodes + no Tasha Yar.

I recently bought the whole DVD box so I've been having a TNG marathon the latest weeks during the nights and I found the first season to be good. Not great as the rest of the series, but good. Last time I found them tedious although still very interesting. Of course, this is the second time I have a full TNG marathon but I've seen most of those episodes several times on TV although the episodes I've managed to see the most times on TV were from Season 5 to 7.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Skin of Evil is my favorite S1 episode, and not just because it killed off my least favorite character. I think the last seven episodes of the season (starting with Heart of Glory) are a really good stretch of episodes, with only one stinker (We'll Always Have Paris).

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Season one is my personal favorite, so I say yes.

18. CWB

CWB Cadet Newbie

19. sonak

While not one of my favorites, I think "Skin of Evil" is highly underrated. It's got some of the best moments in all of TNG, like Yar's funeral and Picard's confrontation with Armus.

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Picard's confrontation with Armus was great. I'm sure Riker felt perfectly inadaquete when his CAPT comes down and handles the situation in about 5 minutes.