Not enough Gul Macet?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sal'ira, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Sal'ira

Sal'ira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gul Macet is in one episode and he's a minor character in a few books. No matter how much I search, I can't find a thing where he is a main character (except maybe in The Worlds of Star Trek, but I haven't read it yet) and that just doesn't sit right with me. I think it would be an interesting read to get more screen (or page, whatever) time with Akellen Macet.

Does anyone know a book where Gul Macet is a main character? If not, why hasn't someone written one yet?

2. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"I've got a fever, and the only cure, is more gul Macet!"

Sorry, had to be done.

I can't think of any books with Macet as a main player.

ncc71877:cardie:

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely missed Macet as I moved further into the relaunch...he was a big part of holding my interest. Unfortunately, as he went into the background, and other things happened in the Treklit-verse (the MU garbage, among other things), I pretty much lost interest in it.

Remember to PM me once you get PM capability, because I'm also a big Macet fan...

4. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. Macet has a lot of potential, as does the whole Cardassian reconstruction.

Maybe Pocket could launch a "Cardassian Union" series, since the Klingon Empire books seem to have finished their run. Be a neat way to fill in the pre-ZSG timeskip. . .

5. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

It could also feature Chief O'Brian and Garak, always fun to write those two :D
    I've actually been yearning for more stories on Cardassia since WoDS9 and Never Ending Sacrifice.

6. Sal'ira

I was afraid ya'll would say that. Maybe Pocket Books will come out with more Cardassian books. It'd sure make a lot of people satisfied. Seriously, Klingons are interesting and all, but I think they've had their spotlight.

What, may I ask, is pre-ZSG timeskip and MU garbage?

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Pre-ZSG (Zero Sum Game) timeskip refers to the jump of some five or so years between The Soul Key and Zero Sum Game and also Rough Beasts of Empire which are both Typhon Pact novels and the latter takes place entirely before the former and allows Deep Space Nine stories to be told during the post Destiny Era.

As for MU Garbage. S/he it seems has a problem with the fact that Warpath/Fearful Symmertary and The Soul Key aswell as a few novellas and short stories focus on the Mirror Universe from Deep Space Nine.

I hope that helped.

8. Sal'ira

It did help, thank you. I sometimes get confused with the abbreviations on here because I'm relatively new to Star Trek. I'm constantly asking, "What does that mean?" Thank you again. :cardie:

9. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry...I didn't realize, or I would have been a little clearer. ;)

I too would love a Cardassian Union series...I might not agree with everything they did, but it would be a heck of a lot more interesting than the Klingon series.

As to the Mirror Universe stuff...I felt that it cheapened the DS9 universe, and in particular I thought that the whole premise for the episodes "Second Skin" and "Ties of Blood and Water" was absolutely ruined.

10. Sal'ira

You don't have to agree with everything they did to think they're pretty damn awesome.

I've never actually seen more than one episode of Deep Space 9, so I can't agree or disagree with you on the Mirror Universe. The episode I saw was "Trials and Tribble-ations." I've read almost a dozen Deep Space 9 books, though and am very familiar with a lot of the series. Hopefully I can acquire the seasons soon.

To everyone, if a book with Gul Macet as a main character comes out, quickly tell me here. You will have my eternal love and gratitude.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to pipe in as another Macet fan who would love to see him again. I don't know if I'd want to see him as the main character, but I would have no problem with him in a major supporting role.

12. Sal'ira

Well, it could be like a lot of Trek books and he could one of two, three, or four main characters. I'm currently reading Kevin Ryan's Errand of Fury Trilogy and there are three or four people who get a chapter in their POV. Do you get what I'm saying?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah, and I would definitely go for that.