Federation: 150 Years - Submit Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by FrontierTrek, Nov 11, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore will be interviewing people involved with the upcoming book "Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years" including the Designer (Rosanna), Editor (Dana) and author David Goodman.

I'd love to open it up publicly, so if you have any questions please post them here and I'll do my best to include as many as possible in the interview!

Thanks!

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My question: Will the book be covering the USS Kelvin era seen at the beginning of the last movie?

And of so, will there be anything about why Starfleet capital ships shrank between the Kelvin era (457m, 800+ crew) and the time of the TOS Enterprise (289m, 400+ crew)?

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Isn't this original timeline though? Surely that precludes the Kelvin from being mentioned/seen?

4. F. King Daniel

The timelines split when the Narada appeared from the future. Only past that point is the STXI+ timeline different from ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY. Therefore, the USS Kelvin existed in both histories - only in TOS it wasn't diverted to the Klingon border to investigate the "lightning storm in space", no crazed Romulans appeared etc etc.

5. Plaristes

Plaristes Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kzinti?

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Will there be mentions of Star Trek novels in this or is it based on your own ideas from watching 'Enterprise' and 'Star Trek'? Will it bridge the gap between the two shows and explain some of the inconsistencies. Why the high price?

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Have you seen what it looks like?
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Federation-First-Years/dp/1612184170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352700657&sr=8-1&keywords=%22Star+Trek+Federation%3A+The+First+150+Years%22

Sounds like we are getting our money's worth.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It is about the same price as the Jedi Path and Sith books (vault editions) were when they both came out. Well worth the price for what we're getting in my opinion.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Not if one didn't want the pedestal display with lights and audio introduction. Just the book alone is what I was after.

10. Therin of Andor

Then sell your pedestal display on eBay. It's likely to sell for the price you will pay for the whole thing. :vulcan:

11. Admiral_Young

It's possible that they will release the book by its self at a later time, just as they did with the Jedi Path and it appears with the Book of Sith.

12. Therin of Andor

It's also likely that the price will plummet after a few months of release. Amazon is already offering a very generous discount for pre-orders. $51.82 instead of the $99.99 RRP. Considering I used to pay over $40 each for hardcover ST novels to come Down Under, many years ago, this seems very reasonable to me.

I'm happy to support the book at full price, if necessary, since that helps the publisher's confidence for creating future releases.

13. Admiral_Young

Indeed. So it if one isn't able to spend the cash now for this, they can always wait. I understand since I'm doing the same for The Book of Sith which is listed on Amazon Canada next year for $16 bucks or something like that.

14. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Question to submit....

Why is it not compatible with the novel-verse?

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Of course that's for the author to answer, but really, why would it be? David A. Goodman actually worked on Enterprise, a consulting producer and writer in seasons 2-3. He was one of the creators of canonical Trek (not to mention the writer of Futurama's Trek tribute "Where No Fan Has Gone Before"). Why should he have to follow the lead of freelancers writing non-canonical tie-ins?

There's also the logistical difficulty of getting different companies to coordinate their tie-ins, which is why, for the most part, Pocket, IDW, and Star Trek Online maintain separate continuities. Since this book is from yet another publisher, it really shouldn't be surprising that it takes its own path.

16. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Did Beyer answer the questions that were submited in an anothe thread?

17. F. King Daniel

It's always annoyed me that Treknical books have ignored the novels. I can understand why, for the reasons Christopher posted (well, except the one about canon), but as far as I'm concerned a Trek with a story will always trump a dry book of facts, diagrams and statistics.

From what I've seen of Federation: The First 150 Years, they've borrowed a few cues from the old Spaceflight Chronology/FASA Trek timeline, which is pretty cool.

18. Therin of Andor

The novels are read by 1-2% of the viewing audience. Many people who read the novels in MMPB won't ever pick up this high-end collectible. The books are probably aimed at very different demographics.

Making the book compatible with every ENT novel written so far might not be appealing to the creators of this resource, and it would add to the essential research. Perhaps they are canonistas?

19. Therin of Andor

Check out the Voyager section. Kirsten herself invited questions, which she answered, along with questions from the floor, at a panel held at Shore Leave. Then she compiled her very comprehensive answers and put them back into the thread.

20. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Could you link it for me? Or give the title?