Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Not so surprising. Back when it was just Lucas making these things they managed to keep a very tight lid on them, now with Disney in the mix...well, let's just say I doubt there are many people in the business stupid enough to violate an NDA with the Mouse House.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the books, what ever happened to the Imperial Fleet? I'm guessing that now every super star destroyer captain laid down his/her arms?

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

One of Palpatines hangers-on became 'Emperor' and things somewhat continued on as they had with the Empire decreasing in power and relevance as the fighting went on - some Admirals took their fleets and became Warlords - either taking certain systems as their own or basically becoming large pirate groups.

Coruscant was taken by the Rebels 2-3 years after Return of the Jedi and at that point the Rebels declared a "New Republic".

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

To be frank, I won't be sorry to see a lot of the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe be decanonized. So many of those novels were fair-to-mediocre at best and I had enough trouble demonstrating a lasting interest in the Yuuzhan Vong conflict much less most of the stories set after Chewie's death.

If the new Sequel Trilogy improves the overall quality of the SW universe in the decades and generations after Endor I'm all for it. Frankly, Disney, Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy and others can't really do that much worse with the EU characters and timeline than some of the books have.

5. DarthTom

New rumors about this film. Yahoo News. Many people associated with the film believe the storyline will follow Jacen Solo's rise to join the dark side as Darth Caedus.

If this is true, I think this would make for an awesome story.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hopefully they give him a better Sith name than Darth Caedus (which was the winner of a contest where fans submitted ideas for the name).

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Assuming I'm pronouncing it right, it sounds a little too much like Sidious for my liking.

8. cooleddie74

Jacen and Jaina Solo were two existing EU elements that I had been hoping the new Trilogy would retain and make on-screen canon, so if at least one of the new films deals with Jacen that would be good to hear.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really care either way if they use story material from the EU, but I would love to see them bring in characters like the Solo twins, Mara Jade, Corran Horn, ect.

10. cooleddie74

Mara Jade is one of the oldest existing characters of the EU and one of the more recognizable names when it comes to Star Wars characters who weren't in a movie or a TV show. I'd be surprised if they didn't find a way to introduce Mara Jade into the new trilogy even if they heavily rewrite her backstory to accommodate the revised post-ROTJ timeline.

Any rumor of a Jacen Solo storyline might end up being complete poodoo, but I'm not opposed to the idea of featuring him.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...Yeah, I'm really not buying it. Positively wreaks of a fan invented rumour.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

That'd be great. I've always thought Rogue Squadron could've made a great weekly TV series.

However, if they use EU elements like that I'll be amazed. They likely won't.

13. cooleddie74

As long as Chewie doesn't get killed by a colliding moon I'm cool with a lot of potential story ideas drawn from the EU.

14. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

As long as there is a mullet or 70s feathered mop, I'm cool with whatever.

[​IMG]

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You're probably not pronouncing it right.

There seems to be a rising tide of assumption that the new films will be all about recreating the EU. It's like in the 90s when people kept saying the Thrawn books would be the basis of the next movies.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know that thinking never made sense to me. I mean they were great as a trilogy of novels, but they'd stink if adapted into a trilogy of films. Really speaking there's only one film in there, at most. Not a very good one at that.

But yeah, I don't think Disney hired the likes of JJ Abrams just to have him adapt the work of some second or third rate authors.

At most we might find some familiar EU character's popping up, but mostly in name only. If they even do that much, whatever they come up with you can bet it will be a different take on the character.

17. DarthTom

Considering that Abrams completely ripped off Wrath of Khan for STID would anyone really be surprised that he'd go to the EU for material?

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Abrams is an unoriginal, sticky-fingered hack, so no one should expect anything close to the best of the SW movies.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In all of one scene, plus the "needs of the many" quip in the volcano. That's it.

20. cooleddie74

Yeah, for real. I'm not going to pretend that STID was anything approaching the most original science fiction movie ever made but calling it a ripoff of TWOK when just a few brief scenes are direct callbacks to the 1982 film is a bit much.

Unless the presence of Khan Noonien Singh in the second movie in this new timeline in and of itself is ripping off TWOK, but even then it doesn't meet the strict definition of a ripoff since Khan's history after being released from cryogenic freeze aboard the Botany Bay is now radically different from what it was in the Prime history.

No Genesis Device. No Ceti Alpha V. Khan doesn't die. You get the point.