Do you watch TNG movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by JesterFace, Jun 27, 2014.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

This thread inspired by the TNG section and a conversation there...

Do you watch the TNG movies? I don't, simply because TNG ended so well with '...All Good Things' and the movies... well, I think none of the TNG movies can match the series, not even close, so I don't like them or watch them.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll give them a peek (except Insurrection), when they are on TV. But I can't remember the last time I busted out the Blu-ray's to watch.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have them all on VHS (I'm too cheap to go to DVD when the VHS's still work fine). I love First Contact, like Nemesis (somewhat flawed, but it had some good moments and I didn't outright hate much), find Generations watchable (but hugely flawed and with some horrible stuff) and hate Insurrection. Of the TNG movies only First Contact comes close to being as good as the series, but most of them have at least some good points. The exception being Insurrection, which I really can't find anything good to say about it.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Generations - Like it quite well. Watch maybe once or twice a year.

First Contact - Like, but overrated IMO. Once every 18 months possibly.

Insurrection - Like it more than FC to be honest. Once a year.

Nemesis - Dull, lifeless, boring and moribund. I struggle to finish it most occasions.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't have any in my library yet, so no, I don't watch them. I haven't gotten any of the original cast films yet either. I used to have them on vhs, but am using dvd now. All I have is ST2009, because it was the first one I never saw in a theater.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch them as often as I was the TOS movies, which is to say not too often. Maybe once per year or two.

7. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I gave them a watch over a couple of weekends for the first time in a few years;

Generations - I found had aged at least visually very well, mainly due to the excellent cinematography and good effects, the film only really falls apart at the end for me.

First Contact - always been a favorite of mine, and while it's still very entertaining, somewhat surprisingly it had dated probably the worst of the bunch, the sets and effects were not really a big enough step up from the TV series, but like I said loads of good bits and still very entertaining.

Insurrection - Suffers from a lot of the cheap-feeling problems that FC does but with a dull premise, irritating, preachy characters and no better but still really average effects - TV standard. It still had it's merits, with some decent character interaction and some nice location shooting but the whole thing came across as a bit 'meh'

Nemesis - Strange one this - again, suffers from a lot of the previous movies faults, and it had a silly, cliched, derivative plot, some really dumb scenes with a preposterous villain, but I found it to be easily as entertaining as First Contact maybe even more. I find myself watching the Scimitar battle on YouTube as much as any scene from any of the movies, JJ Trek included, and despite Data's death, find it has a certain charm, with excellent visual effects, and the best score of all four TNG movies.

I'll probably visit them again in a couple of years, I would say I watch the TOS movies more, but not by much.

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Not as often as I used to. Two or three times a year back in the 90s. It's true, their movies only sporadically recaptured their family, compared to TOS. But they were more numerous. Whenever I tour the four films, I always end up feeling there's definitely this lost post-Nemesis film, that should do with TNG (if not the multiple 24th Century crews) what Undiscovered Country did for the originals. The fact there isn't leaves more bitter than sweet, taking away any desire to revisit more often I suspect. Tough going in again, knowing this ain't gonna end well.

9. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch all the Trek movies fairly often (except for TFF, the worst of the bunch, IMO). As far as the TNG movies specifically, I love Generations, in spite of it's obvious flaws. First Contact is my favorite Trek movie, hands-down. It even ranks higher than TWOK for me. Nemesis is deeply, deeply flawed, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Lots of good bits in there. The only one I really don't care for is Insurrection, but I'll even watch that on occasion (though it's probably the one I watch the least).

10. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch them twice a year along with the rest of the movies, may bust them out next week actually since I'm off on medical leave. Yes they (the TNG movies) have their flaws but so do the others but there's enough in each of them that I never tire of them.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I watch TNG movies. First Contact is my favorite, but I enjoy them all to varying degrees.
    I'm gearing up to do another marathon of TNG, and will absolutely follow up the series with the movies.

12. BillJ

I just don't think TNG translated well to the big screen. Whether it was the type of actors or types of stories they were trying to tell, it just never felt right.

13. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch them every time I feel like doing some masochist stuff.

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I can't stand them. FC is the only watchable one. And I consider myself a huge TNG fan.

The movies were the biggest affronts to TNG as a series. It's the same actors and same sets, but not the same characters and not even near the same stories.

I used high powered lasers to melt my Nemesis DVD :D :D :D :D

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I like First Contact best of them, but don't like the goofball planetside scenes. The writers' treatment of Cochrane seems to be 'ha ha look at the country bumpkin!'

16. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Someone tell me with a straight face that this Zefram Cochrane is the same guy we saw in Metamorphosis (and I don't mean actor-wise).

17. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*said in complete seriousness*

Doing something amazing and meeting aliens may have restored his worldview and behavior.

After WWIII, Cochrane developed PTSD. The PTSD led Cochrane to develop depression. The depression led Cochrane to start drinking and develop alcoholism. After all of that, he just stopped working on the Phoenix. Using all of Cochrane's work, Lily took over the project and completed the construction and preparation. Flying the Phoenix and meeting aliens afterwards restored him back to the guy he was before. He was always the guy from Metamorphosis, we meet him in FC when he had just hit rock bottom.

18. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I guess most of us are aware Tom Hanks was under consideration for the role at one point.

As well as being a much closer and more believable physical match for Glen Corbett, I do wonder if the more overt comedic overtones inherent in the movie versions character may have been toned down and brought more into line with "Metamorphosis"?

19. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anything but what we got.

Also, comedy in StarTrek, except IV (*), was a sure-fire failure recipe. Ergo, producers are stupid.

(I always wanted to use the word "ergo" in a post. Thanks for the opportunity)

(*) - And the "tiny" bit with Sulu in III

20. BillJ

I loved the "how many fingers am I holding up?" bit.