Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. Third will be called Ultimate :)

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm definitely with the "meh" crowd. Some parts looked interesting. Other parts looked way too much like the other Spiderman movies. I'll watch it, but I doubt I'll bother seeing it in theaters.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It is a Spiderman movie so there will be a lot of elements that will be essential to any Spiderman movie.

4. Admiral_Young

^ Exactly, which is why this looks so similar to "Spider-Man". It has elements that are not going to change just to do something different. As I have said before, I think the things that we're going to get that will be different: are elements of story, character development and dynamic, the origin (as much as people will complain about that and have) the tone of the film as well. I'm just happy that Peter's humour is back. Tobey's Spider-Man didn't have enough of this and I am a fan of the original trilogy as well.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Meh. I'm just burnt out on superheroes and origin stories.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

nah, either Peter Parker:, Web of or Frindly Neighbourhood

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

What about Sensational?

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

This pretty much summarizes my feelings over the new trailer as well.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The trailer just doesn't do anything to scream "This is why a reboot/restart (insert "re"word here) was necessary!!"
    Peter as an assistant to Connors=check had that established.
    Idea of Lizard as the 4th films villain=check
    Gwen as a love interest=check had that established.
    Moving in a darker tone=check had that with the Venom stuff.

The only thing this movie has as an essential, that I can tell so far, is the angle with Peters parents which could easily be dropped into the existing series. As easy as anything else is dropped in for story purposes.

I mean really we have to sit through another 30-40 min of high school angst, Peter picked on, transformation, discovery of powers. Are we doing the "wrestle for money" schtick again also? I hope we are going more 'Cliff Notes' this time. Not quite TIH where Hulks origin is retold in the credits(although that worked well for that character) but god the whole world knows his freaking origin. I've yet to see this "return to humor" either, that scene in the cab wasn't quirky enough imo. People forget Raimi's Peter had quips.

This movie should've continued with the characters as early 20 somethings in college working with Connors whose going to be the Lizard.

Will I see it, of course but I'm not anticipating it that's for sure.

10. Admiral_Young

Peter wasn't an assistant to Connors in the last trilogy, also Gwen wasn't really Peter's love interest in Three either. Gwen was actually irrelevant and a they made her a directionless character who was tied into the "rivalry" between Peter and Eddie.

To me this movie reminds me of the hesitation/anticipation that we had going into "Batman Begins". You could compare "Spider-Man 3" to "Batman and Robin". The only difference is that a portion of the fandom don't want or see the point of a reboot. As someone who was in that camp at the start of this thing I can see the point. I would take this movie over what was planned for "Spider-Man 4" any day and I have seen neither :)

Believe me, I understand the hesitation/disinterest. I was right there with you guys at the start. So far though I've seen nothing so far that disappoints me about this or says this shouldn't have been made.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The relationships were all in place is the point. Let's not split hairs too much on the verbiage. A few lines to explain that MJ is gone. Why Gwen is his new girl and the easiest is transition of favored student to lab assistant to Connors.

I just don't have the "OMG we needed this to be disconnected from the other films feeling" as some seem to think.

12. Admiral_Young

That's fine as well. I didn't have that feeling either until they got Mark Webb as director, everything changed for me. I have faith in the man after seeing "500 Days of Summer". This one single thing started my line of thinking towards this film. Plus, like I said before, Sony wasn't just going to not do anything and let Disney/Marvel snatch up the rights :) This is also why Fox is rebooting their remaining superhero franchises (X-Men is in a class of it's own IMO). Again I understand where all of you are coming from. I know for me, I'm excited about this. I also think maybe the novelty of a Spider-Man film has worn off due to this. There was that hype and specialness to the first one. OMG we were finally getting a Spidey film. But yeah whatever. I'm excited and who knows after I see it, maybe I won't like it? :)

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I'm never going to see a Shakespeare play ever again.

I mean...they've already done them before! Romeo and Juliet...again? What could they add to this version that they haven't done before? Sheesh.

What's the point?

14. Admiral_Young

^ Excellent point. I'm going to be seeing a production of "MacBeth" this summer actually :)

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is actually how I feel. Then again, I really dislike Shakespeare. And every version of any play I've seen has been more or less identical to the previous version. Unless you're going to compare "Taming of the Shrew" to "10 Things I Hate About You," which was a drastic departure, I don't think your argument holds much weight.

Reboots don't inherently bother me. What bothers me about this Spiderman reboot is that the first batch of movies isn't that old, and this new one doesn't look different enough from those movies for me to think it's necessary. I'm with Captain Craig on this. Everything they're doing with this movie (at least as far as I can tell from the trailers) could be worked into the existing continuity. The groundwork is already there.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mentioned in another thread that I just watched The Incredible Hulk yesterday, and I really like the way they approached the origin. They showed us all of the important stuff, and told us anything else we needed to know as the post-origin story went along, and IMO I really think something like that could have worked for ASM too. At this point his origin is pretty much common knowledge, and if they went about it the TIH way they could have still gotten their own version of the origin, but wouldn't really have needed to take up to much story time.
    EDIT: I don't really think the reboot has anything to do with what could or couldn't have been done in the old continuity, I think it's more that they have need people both in front of and behind the camera, and they want to be completely free do whatever they want without having to worry about what they did in the other three.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If I've interpreted things correctly it seems that Parker excretes the web fluid through his neck and he (presumably) fills the canisters with this fluid for his use?

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm waiting for the Spiderman that makes webbing with his ass like a real spider.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, that's not why; that's a fabrication. A few actors might be able to insist on such a thing, but you'd probably be shocked at how little influence most have.

Mostly it's about the folks who make movies not being stupid about their business. The purist fans of the source material who find unmasking annoying are vastly outnumbered by viewers who have little interest in watching a mask instead of a fully expressive face.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The unmasking scene in SM2 was one of the best scenes of the whole film. Just sayin'.

And SM1 was hurt a great deal IMO by Willem Dafoe staying in his Green Goblin mask far too much.