Anybody know what's going on with PSN?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by gh4chiefs, Mar 1, 2010.

1. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Must be something major going on with PSN and the PS3 as I can't even play single player games. Seen a few comments on other boards but basically people like me asking WTF is going on.

2. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like some type of bug that affecting those with Phat PS3, Sony are aware of the issue on on the case, its been caused by today being the 1st of March as the bug is related to the time and date thing on the phat PS3

Just been on the official PS3 boards and some are committing Harri Kari over this, although who knows, this might get everybody the chance of a free game from Sony as some are already containing their lawyers looking for some type of compensation for these issue.:lol:

4. gh4chiefs

Well what irritated me was that it wasn't just that I couldn't get online, I couldn't play single player either. Actually I was glad to see that it was a widespread problem, because the way it was acting I was thinking my individual PS3 was F'd.

5. gh4chiefs

Well it just occurred to me that if this is some kind of internal clock issue that won't let us get online, then if they do come up with a patch, I'm not going to be able to get online to get it.

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess you get what you pay for. ;)

7. gh4chiefs

Now, now PKerr, play nice. Remember you have a PS3 now too. :p :lol:

The plot thickens. A co-worker just sent me this quote, don't know where he linked it so take it FWIW.

"Sony is narrowing down on what caused the world-wide PSN collapse, stating "possible unauthorized access" may have been the cause."

8. Haggis and tatties

I have no doubt they will solve this with a intermediate firmware update, and thankfully you don't need to be signed into the PSN to download that.:)

9. gh4chiefs

You don't? Didn't realize that. But even after I posted that, I realized if push came to shove they could put something on their website and you could download it to a USB drive and then transfer it to the PS3. A friend of mine did that recently with her Sony TV (only in that case they actually mailed her a USB with the fix already dl'd on it.)

But if you're telling me I can get updates without PSN service, then I guess they won't have to do that.

10. Haggis and tatties

Yeah as long as your PS3 is connected to your Internet any firmware updates will be seen by the machine even if your not signed into the PSN......same with the internet browser and Iplayer, you don't need to be signed into the PSN to use them online.

And yes good thinking, they could and no doubt will have any fix on their website to download and install as well......good point.

11. PKerr

Oh I know but this is HUGE kids.

BTW it seems like it's screwing with systems that are not logged into the PSN as well.

My system has been off for a little over a week now and it will stay that way until some sort of resolve by Sony.

In fact I'll be pulling out the ethernet cable tonight to to be sure.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33995/Now-developers-PS3s-are-hit-by-system-errors

http://gamingbolt.com/2010/03/01/ps3-offline-issues-probable-reasons/

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/01/sony-gains-rrod-sized-issue-as-ps3-stops-doing-everything/

12. gh4chiefs

“Registration of the trophy information could not be complete. The game will quit.”

yep, that's exactly the message I got.

13. gh4chiefs

I'll be damned, learn something everyday. I just assumed all this time that all things online were all connected to the PS3 by way of the PSN.

14. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

My roommate's PS3 has been infected by the disease, so far mine is immune but I'm too afraid to turn it on at this point.

15. Haggis and tatties

This issue is only affecting certain Phat PS3's models, anybody with a slim is quite safe, its related to the internal clock on certain models of phat PS3's.....i see people reporting that their 40gig and 80gig phat models are working fine....what model do you have gh4chiefs if you don't mind me asking bud.

Yeah its no doubt a safeguard against this very type of very issue were people cant sign into the PSN so they could never get the fix.

16. gh4chiefs

That's what I've heard too, but I'm not sure I believe that. Mine was working fine in the morning yesterday, came back in the late afternoon and it wouldn't work. It didn't happen over a date change like some have speculated.

So if the clock was ok in the morning, why was it not okay a little later in the same day?

17. PKerr

Just found this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190398/global_playstation_3_glitch_what_we_know_so_far.html?

Sony's PlayStation 3 appears to be in the throes of an inadvertent global gaming lockdown, suffering from an unidentified glitch that prevents gamers from playing specific games whether online or offline. The issue appears to be related to the monthly turnover (February to March, last night) and occurs whether you're connected to the Internet or not. The company isn't responding to press emails at this time or detailing what the problem is, only that it's working on an "issue" and attempting "to restore service to all."

Are you affected? Here's what we've gleaned so far.
    It only affects older "fat" PlayStation 3's. It also affects debug PS3s, i.e. those used by journalists and game developers. Newer PlayStation models--notably the "slim-line" version--are reportedly unaffected.

It prevents you from connecting to Sony's PlayStation Network as well as from playing certain games, whether online or offline. Which games? Games that perform a trophy-sync check at startup, e.g. Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, and Final Fantasy XIII. Games that don't, or that don't use trophies, i.e. older PS3 games, appear to work fine.

It doesn't prevent you from downloading demos, surfing with the PS3's browser, or performing a 'system update'. Affected PS3s aren't forced offline, in other words. You're still able to browse the web, finish downloading demos you'd initiated prior to the glitch, and pull down firmware updates. The latter seems the likeliest route for a fix, should one be forthcoming from Sony.

The error codes vary by game but appear to be trophy-related. The most common error code judging from user complaints--8001050F--reads "Registration of the trophy information could not be completed...The game will quit." Another error message outputs "Trophy data failed to load...Please use the PS button to quit." Biz site Develop reports some PS3 debugs are also experiencing an 'endless loop' reboot error that seems to be related. My debug unit hasn't gone into a reboot--it simply generates the 8001050F error when I try to load Final Fantasy XIII--but then I'm not a developer, and I'm only loading official debug code.

The glitch occurs initially when you power on your PS3. It apparently happens whether you're connected to the Internet or not--disable your wireless and/or unplug your Ethernet cable before powering up, and you'll still experience it, in other words. The only way to avoid it, for now, is not to power on your PS3.

The glitch appears to be time and date related. When initially powered on, the glitch resets your system clock to 12/31/99 (it happened on both my retail and debug systems). Speculation is it started with the February 28 - March 1 turnover.

Manually resetting your PS3's time and date doesn't resolve the issue. I tried (and it failed). So it's obviously more complex (and less obvious) than just a wonky timestamp.

Some report re-seating the internal battery resolves the problem. These claims are unverified, but even if they were, I wouldn't touch this with a golden screwdriver or a no-fault insurance policy. Aside from voiding your warranty, it requires full disassembly and fiddling with the core internals of your system.

Sony hasn't said what the issue is yet, leaving us to puzzle it out based on the symptomology. All the company has said in a handful of Twitter updates and blog posts, is that they're aware something's gone wrong, and that they're working on it. The EU PlayStation Twitter feed is slightly ahead of its US counterpart here. As of 8:00am PT, the US PlayStation Twitter feed hasn't updated in over 12 hours.

(Update - 8:06am PT) Some users claim the glitch prevents you from watching Netflix movies. I can't verify this, unfortunately, since I don't have Netflix installed.

I have a slim but I'm leaving it off for now.

18. gh4chiefs

So how does one DL a demo with out the PSN?

Well again, see my post above, it started yesterday afternoon before March 1st. Maybe the internal clock is on Greenwhich time or something?

19. Haggis and tatties

^^^Might be right down to a specific time and date on certain models, but its looking like the older the model the PS3 the more chance its going to be affected by the bug.

Bummer all round for all those having issue, i certainly hope Sony play the PR game right and make some form of gesture to those affected, free game or something.

20. Haggis and tatties

Once you start a download you can sign out of the PSN and the DL will continue, so in this case anybody who was downloading anything when they got hit by the bug can still resume those downloads as they will be sitting on their XMB, you don't need to be signed into the PSN to resume paused or stacked downloads.....that's the only way anybody who has been affected by this issue could continue to download paused downloads they have sitting on the XMB.

Everybody else affected by the bug cant sign in so they cant access anything to download...:(