Wolverine and the X-Men: Why was it cancelled?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't believe there hasn't been a straight up non "twist on it" X-Men cartoon since the early 1990s :wtf: Let's get on that, people!!!

2. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Wolverine and the X-men a casualty of Marvel getting its television rights back? When Marvel was able to negotiate back all of their television rights, shows produced by other studios were smothered and killed; Marvel wanted their cartoons to only be produced by Disney.

It's the same thing that killed Spectacular Spider-man and Iron Man: Armored Adventures (though Iron Man season 2 was already in production at the time the change happened, so it managed to finish that out season).

As for the future, Marvel Animation has been hinting lately in artwork at cons that there may be a Wolverine toon in the future (in addition to a Guardians of the Galaxy toon). Of course, I'm not too fond of the current Marvel Animation output from Jeph Loeb; so I'm not sure that's something to cheer. Avengers Assemble I can stomach; just as long as it's not like Ultimate Spider-man and Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It sounds like Hulk and Agents of SMASH is cancelled with only two episodes left to air in the next few weeks. I won't particularly miss it :lol:

It is unfortunate that the current Marvel cartoons are being played so kiddie.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's the best version of Nightcrawler we've had in animation. It also features the only animated version of Gambit whose voice I didn't find annoying (since they cast Phil LaMarr in the role).

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's a great show! And the way it's animated and acted almost makes it feel like a re-imagined sequel to the 90s FOX cartoon. The title makes sense given Wolverine's role in the show, but the show is hardly all about him. It would have been awesome to see this show continue.

6. Christopher

Hmm? I don't see that at all. The design and animation style were much closer to X-Men Evolution than to the '90s show, and in fact the show had a number of key creative people in common with XME. At first, there were a lot of people wondering if it was a stealth sequel to XME, although it soon enough became clear that the realities weren't compatible.

7. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

What makes you say that???

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That it was cancelled? Wikipedia.

That it's being played kiddie? Watching them :lol:

9. ReadyAndWilling

It doesn't say anything about SMASH being cancelled...?

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

11. ReadyAndWilling

SMASH had really awesome voice actors... oh well.

Did anyone else not enjoy 'Rover' as much as me?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

that was the first episode I ever saw of the show and I found it very underwhelming.

13. ReadyAndWilling

Which episode, 'Rover'? Are you kidding? That was an amazing episode. I wish Marvel or DC made more episodes or films similar to that!

Did anyone else notice how 'Rover' looked a lot like the Mark 1 Sentinels from X-Men?

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Part of it was I didn't know anything about the show and I expecting an X-Men show, not a "kid and a dead Sentinel in a post apocalyptic future" show ;)

15. Christopher

^The very nature of a far-reaching ensemble series like X-Men is that it allows for all sorts of different stories focusing on a very diverse range of characters.

16. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn! We sent Wolverine back in time, but it looks like nothing's changed!

The future is still screwed!