Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fighting

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FrontierTrek, May 18, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey all! We've just published a two-part on-camera interview with writing/producing duo Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore.

There's some TNG gold in there which I know people will enjoy hearing. Some of the points covered:

* Ira's panicked first assignment on the job where he's told to write a treatment for Season 3's "The Hunted" but struggles to understand what a Jefferies Tube is!
    * Ron rushing out scripts as fast he can to get his first episode nailed, until he's told by Michael Piller "You don't have to do it THIS fast!"
    * Ira's battle with "Captain's Holiday". His original script was rejected by Gene, who went CRAZY demanding instead to "Get the captain laid!" "Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough f---ing and fighting, you gotta get him laid!"

There's lots of other great nuggets in the interview, so check it out - it's available to watch as a video or you can read the transcript:

Part 1 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exclusive-ron-moore-ira-steven-behr-interview-part-i/
    Part 2 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exclusive-ron-moore-ira-steven-behr-interview-part-ii/

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight

I'm surprised to hear them call season 3 this terrible, chaotic season when I consider it one of the best in ST history.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

You didn't work on the season; they did. It was terrible and chaotic for them.

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A good season probably needs a little chaos in the background, because it makes the production department not think too much about stories and consequences - they just do them, so they have something on the screen. :) And thus they are willing to risk more, because they dont overthink much.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I happen to like the fact that Picard was more interested in reading a good book while on Risa. It was funny.

7. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

His other romance was well done. Not the one with Vash or Beverly. The one with one of his subordinates.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Picard isn't Kirk.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think Vash is the perfect occasional one night stand for Picard.

I agree Daren was done believably, but the episode itself was kind of boring.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank You.

I'm getting tired of everyone seemingly imitating Kirk. Hell, I might start getting tired of Kirk himself. If there was one thing I loved in Season 3 it was that Picard was the ultimate diplomat. He averted war with the Romulans twice, he pretty much told the Shiliak, via the treaty they signed, to go F off, and he had the strength to fight the Borg while assimilated. There are more things he's done, but truth be told, Picard was a badass who didn't need to resort to ass-kicking. I liked Kirk and Sisko a lot, but Picard was a great leader who I would gladly serve under. Of course in war, Kirk and Sisko offered protection and safety, but I would hope in the 24th century there would be more peace than war.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean Neela Daren? That was a natural relationship that was sparked over their interests in science and music, even though it was obvious she was a romance of the week. Picard just doesn't make a convincing Alpha male, it's not his style and when they tried to write him that way it really was unnatural.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love the Jim Kirk character, my favorite in all of Trek. But I love Picard because he is his own man, not a cheap imitation.

13. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI

Get your facts straight. Roddenberry didn't say Picard doesn't get laid enough, Patrick Stewart did. If he wanted Picard to be sleeping with a woman in every port he would've designed him that way from the beginning...but he didn't.

Moore is an idiot.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There was no affair. The last time I checked, Picard and Beverly were only friends.

Picard lost the "former Kirk" in him the moment he got stabbed in heart by a couple of Nausicaans.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've forgotten, I thought there was mention of an affair in season one. Or was it just implied? I do admit that later seasons played it down to simply being attraction.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

In "Conspiracy" we learned that Picard met Jack and Beverly when they were already married. Later in "Attached" we learned that Picard always had feelings for Beverly, but never revealed them to her because he didn't want to betray Jack. The truth only came out because their minds were joined because of alien tech.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Shinzon: Picard that was never humbled by a life threatening wound through the heart. Arrogant, brilliant, poetic, self-centered, and overconfident.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Funny how these stories transmogrify over time. I met and interviewed Mr. Moore in 1990 and he said Patrick Stewart who complained the "the Captain doesn't do enough screwing and shooting"...no mention of Gene.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ this could explain why Picard was made all action hero like in the TNG films. FC called for action captain, but INS and NEM had significant input by Stewart. Picard driving the argo (which Stewart actually did since he was into driving fast cars at the time), going to the gym in NEM also check out his biceps in INS, and scoring some poon when Anji in the cave. Movie Picard is vastly different from the reserved show Picard.