UPN and Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Picard Alpha, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

There was always rumors that UPN had say in the direction Voyager took through the course of its run. One thing I've been wondering recently is why UPN decided after several years of statistically lower ratings to order yet another Star Trek series for fall 2001 giving no break between the two series. Voyager was either the first or second highest rated show on the dismal network; probably behind WWF. Instead of starting from scratch and try to lure a new fan base (a really brave move given the networks already existing statistics with Voyager) why not just order another season or two of Voyager to hold them over? There’s nothing out there that says Trek really can't go beyond seven seasons. I'm sure some actors probably would have opted not to renew (possibly Beltran & Ryan), but they could have been written out pending Voyagers return to the Alpha Quadrant. Would you rather have seen an additional season or two of Voyager, no trek, or Enterprise as it was?

Just a thought.. Don't kill the guy who ponders!

2. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

as i recall, the cast was only signed on for 6 years. They managed to get them to do a 7th, but asking more would've been unlikely. Plus, there was nothing left to say... starting out fresh was the better of the two options to try to lure in more viewers. and i'm pretty sure Berman was chompin' at the bit to do Enterprise.

in the end, c'mon, it's upn. they don't even exist anymore

3. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No rumor. That's what networks do.

4. Lucy of Nine

Lucy of Nine Commander Red Shirt

Kill the guy who ponders! Kill hiiiiimmmmmmmm!

Ok just kidding. I'm an Aussie and don't even understand the whole network thing over there... lol. As an avid Voy fan I would have loved another 10 series... you know, Kathryn and Chuckles in a nursing home... etc. :)

Actually I do have a serious question and this seems as good as thread as any to ask about it in! As a fan of Ds9, TNG and Voy... I missed the whole Enterprise bandwagon... was it axed? Why did it do poorly? I think I saw one episode when it originally aired and couldnt stand it so I never saw it again (plus I am in Australia and it hardly saw the light of day here, I think it was on in the middle of the night once)... can someone fill me in on what happened to it, what went wrong? I would ask this in the other forums but I never post anywhere but here... :)

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Because they had nothing else.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lucy yes it was axed and if you jump over to the ENT forum you will find plenty of debate as to why.

I did NOT like ENT when I first watched it but some of that had to do with it being on at midnight, never on at the time actually listed, 3 million sex-chat commercials in between each scene.. yes I watched it in Australia too.

Then I d/l'ed it all and watched it in my own time, sans commercials. It is now an equal favorite with VOY (which I adore). There are MANY wonderful things about it. Seasons 3 and 4 are quite different than seasons 1 and 2 and they each have their fascinations. I have since bought it all on dvd, quite cheap now.

I would think VOY fans would be amenable to ENT for many reasons. Please give it another shot!

At least ENT replaced VOY as the fanboy punching bag. I remember defending VOY on mailing lists for years pre-ENT. Now I spend my time defending ENT.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm so glad TNG was only on syndication and not something like UPN. Thank god for no studio interference.

8. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

Well, T'Pol was a cheap copy of 7 of 9. T'Pol was in a catsuit also and 7 of 9 as a D cup does not have to worry about T'Pol's C cups.

The reason I had a problem with ENTERPRISE, was the attack on Earth with the XINDI a species that never was reported in Star Trek history attacked Earth with a single man with a suicide mission that killed 6 million people. It was also bad as the attack was on the state of Florida and Trip's sister lived in Florida and was killed. I got tired of the word FLORIDA FLORIDA FLORIDA to say over again Americans were killed. Why the writters would bring up that right after 9/11 and spend an entire season with it was a bad idea.

It may not be that insulting to you but it was for me. Since you are from Australia, you would feel insulted if the entire season was to talk about an attack on Australia.

If there was an attack on Earth. Maybe it would have been best not to know the location and not to make it a single person on a suicide mission.

9. teacake

This is really an unfair characterisation of T'Pol.

Every series except DS9 has had "the logical one" as a foil for the humans. Spock, Data, Seven of Nine (fulfilled that role more than Tuvok), T'Pol. T'Pol is a very interesting character who's development is not at all similar to Seven's. She is no more a cheap copy of Seven than Data is a cheap copy of Spock.

HAHAHA no.

I am from Australia and I don't care if they nuke it in some coming Trek series. Insulted at fiction?

Not know the location? That would have been silly and lended no impact to the story.

10. Lucy of Nine

Did they finish up the series or did it end abruptly?

11. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

It had a good ending! If the ending was like the series I think the show would have been around the full seven years.

Hope you watch the show some time sister :)

12. teacake

They finished it.

Though the last episode is generally reviled they wrapped it up and pointed in a new direction (the future federation).

13. Lucy of Nine

Well, since Voy gets trashed by lots of people, its probably only fair I give ENT a go then! :)

14. teacake

That's what I thought, LOL

Plus it's just plain nice to have NEW Trek.

15. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

I would say that T'Pol has a nice body. Still, I really do not need to see every line of her curves to prove to me she is really a woman. Still, I do not want her to cover up her curves because she is a woman. In fairness, both T'Pol and Seven was looking to bring in the male viewers in the 18 - 26 years old.

So you would not mind if there was a Star Trek charactor from Australia that keep talking about his great great whatever was sent to Australia as a prisoner and always tells people Australia was at one time a penal coloney. He also keeps repeating it every episode. It is only fiction.

Maybe. But a general attack on all parts of Earth and it was a fleet of ships like during DS9 with their attack on Earth would have been better. Second, talk about it a few episodes and move on with it. Keep harping on it for over a year was hammering a nail in the coffin.

16. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

Nothing wrong with Voyager :)

Always wanted to see T'Pol and 7 of 9 meeting up so they can go shopping at Victoria Secret.

:bolian:

17. teacake

That is a good point that they should not have to cover up their bodies just because they are beautiful with big breasts. I agree there.

Australians have no embarrassment of having once been a penal colony. IF you can find a former convict in your genealogy it's something to be proud of.

War is war. I'm sure the bombings of London were discussed constantly during WWII. It's realistic.

My only complaint about it being Florida was it was yet another US-centric element of the show. But that was a very minor quibble. Would have been nice if it had been Sydney for a change.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  18. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

So if Ezri, Hoshi and Kes was on the same show would you be more bored with it? If Jadzia, 7 of 9 and T'Pol were on the same show would you be more interested?

INTERSTING!!!

It is more then a drag that Star Trek when it comes to Earth talk about San Fransico. What about we move Star Fleet Academy to Darwin? If Star Trek was going to move outside of the United States, the American public would be more accepting with Australia then say Canada or the United Kingdom.

Think the only reason why Star Trek is so deep with having it always in the United States. As it started with NBC in California in the 1960's. Still it is strange after 40 years it did not move to Canada like most new sci-fi shows during the 1990's because of the production cost.

19. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm an American, and I actually agree. I'm tired of everything always being in the US- atleast among the Trek storylines.

San Francisco, Iowa(or some random midwest state, whatever), Florida...blah blah blah! The Marseilles bit in regards to where Tom Paris was at the beginning was really awesome.

I mean, the Federation is an EARTH thing... it would have been cool to have focuses on, say, Sydney, or Moscow, or...Baghdad.

World Peace, right?

As for ENT, I watched the first few episodes and then I got busy doing other things, so I basically missed it.

20. teacake

^^

Well Tom Paris was plucked from a penal colony in New Zealand.

It is US-centric but other than watching the end of "The Omega Glory" through my fingers thinking I'm going to die from embarrassment it never bothers me.

I really do not understand what you are asking here. I am not bored with either show at all. I am not more interested by bigger breasts or cat suits.