Best Frankinstien Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Borg451, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Borg451

Borg451 Captain

Hello

can each of you recommend 1 movie each as your best Frankenstien Movie..

Please include IMDB links and no spoilers

No Humourous Ones

2. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original is still the best!

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Nah, Bride is definitely a few notches above it. The original is a great film, to be sure, but it has a few weird logic problems.

Bride of Frankenstein is generally regarded as one of the best horror films of all time. That said, I always like to watch the two of them back-to-back.

7. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965), featuring a mutated giant teenaged Frankenstein's monster fighting Baragon of Godzilla fame:

[​IMG]

8. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Young Frankenstein and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein are my favorites, both serious and humorous, of the films featuring the monster.

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite is this one. But it's not the first.

10. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I also like The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

11. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

Yeah, watching them back-to-back is still less than two and a half hours.

12. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Yup that is the best. Gene Wilder. Cloris Leachman. Marty Feldman. Teri Garr. Peter Boyle. Madeline Kahn. Gene Hackman. Very few comedies can match that cast.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Whale was a set designer and artist who branched into directing. Being something besides a director, he was able to really contribute to "his" movies. His Frankenstein movies, Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein, are quite interesting even now just as people have already said. His version however is not the "original." I can picture the still of the monster from a pre-WWI silent movie. That look chose snaky hair.

But of all the remakes, the one I think came closest to some of the seriousness of the original novel was the one starring Alec Newman, for the Hallmark Channel, odd as it may sound. I think it was a Halmi production, who are cordially detested on this bbs. But they did justice to Gulliver's Travels too, as I remember.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368730/

14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I like that one, and it comes pretty close to the novel.

However, the one I've seen that comes closest is Terror of Frankenstein, which is an Irish/Swedish production. It's pretty dry, though. It could be used in classes teaching the book, but it's slow-going.

It's got its haunting moments, and I do recommend it, but it might make it a little easier to understand why the films tend to deviate from the novel.

I still think a faithful adaptation with a good budget would be worth making, though.

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    "BRIDE OF..." is the best.

Though, the original and "SON OF..." are both damn good.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Bride of . . . " is the best, but "Frankenstein: The True Story" is worth checking out, despite the terribly misleading title. (It is no more a faithful adaptation of the original novel than the Karloff films.)

Also, I think "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" is underrated, even though Robert DeNiro was miscast as the monster.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I sometimes dream of the film adaptation of Michael Bishop's Brittle Innings that never came to be (the Frankenstein Monster is a minor league first baseman in Georgia during World War II), but I'll settle for The Bride of Frankenstein.

Like Greg, I also think that Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is rather underrated.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

This one gets my vote. I watched it on its original (only?) U.S. TV airing on consecutive nights, but it seems, unfortunately, that the 2x90-minute production was later edited together into a single piece with several sections removed and the complete version is no longer available. This I think unfortunate. It was beautifully done, with an excellent cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein:_The_True_Story

19. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Agreed on both counts. It was nowhere near as bad as the "critics" made it out to be, but DiNiro was one of those Branagh casting choices that was more bizarre than anything else.

Whale's Frankenstein gets my vote, though. I don't think I've ever seen Bride. :eek:

20. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Did you click on that link? I did, then clicked on the imdb.com link at the bottom, from there the merchandising link to amazon.com, and it shows the original version available on dvd, complete and unedited.