2012 Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

1. Best Picture: "Amour," ''Argo," ''Beasts of the Southern Wild," ''Django Unchained," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Silver Linings Playbook," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

2. Actor: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"; Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"; Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"; Denzel Washington, "Flight."

3. Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"; Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"; Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Naomi Watts, "The Impossible."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Argo"; Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"; Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"; Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "The Master"; Sally Field, "Lincoln"; Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"; Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"; Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook."

6. Directing: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"; Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour," Austria; "Kon-Tiki," Norway; "No," Chile; "A Royal Affair," Denmark; "War Witch," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo"; Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; David Magee, "Life of Pi"; Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

9. Original Screenplay: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"; John Gatins, "Flight"; Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, "Moonrise Kingdom"; Mark Boal, "Zero Dark Thirty."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave"; "Frankenweenie"; "ParaNorman"; "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"; "Wreck-It Ralph."

11. Production Design: "Anna Karenina," ''The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln."

12. Cinematography: "Anna Karenina," ''Django Unchained," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Skyfall."

13. Sound Mixing: "Argo," ''Les Miserables," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Skyfall."

14. Sound Editing: "Argo," ''Django Unchained," ''Life of Pi," ''Skyfall," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

15. Original Score: "Anna Karenina," Dario Marianelli; "Argo," Alexandre Desplat; "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna; "Lincoln," John Williams; "Skyfall," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice," J. Ralph; "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from "Ted," Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane; "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri; "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth; "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables," Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil.

17. Costume: "Anna Karenina," ''Les Miserables," ''Lincoln," ''Mirror Mirror," ''Snow White and the Huntsman."

18. Documentary Feature: "5 Broken Cameras," ''The Gatekeepers," ''How to Survive a Plague," ''The Invisible War," ''Searching for Sugar Man."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Inocente," ''Kings Point," ''Mondays at Racine," ''Open Heart," ''Redemption."

20. Film Editing: "Argo," ''Life of Pi," ''Lincoln," ''Silver Linings Playbook," ''Zero Dark Thirty."

21. Makeup and Hairstyling: "Hitchcock," ''The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," ''Les Miserables."

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Unlike the last few years, I've actually seen most of the nominees in the major categories.

Zero Dark Thirty opens this weekend. I was plannin' to see it, anyway...

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it telling that Cloud Atlas was not considered for anything.

Hell, not even makeup!

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really surprised Affleck and Bigelow didn't get nominated for Director. I really do wonder if this is the year we might actually see a best picture winner be different than Best Director. When was the last time that happened?

I've seen 5 of the 9 movies nominated for best picture. The 4 I haven't seen are: Beasts of the Southern Wild (That was a surprise, I thought Moonrise Kingdom would have gotten this slot), Zero Dark Thirty (Which I really want to see), Life of Pi, and Amour (Which I've heard nothing about). Hopefully I'll be able to see these films before the ceremony, even though Amour might be hard to track down.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

How the hell did Cloud Atlas not get a makeup nod? :wtf:

I've seen seven of the best picture nominees. In my mind, Les Mis, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Life of Pi have no right to be there. Of their list, Django is my easy choice, though it will rank only fifth on my best movies of the year.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daniel Day-Lewis easily wins.
    I'm surprised Hitchcock didn't get any acting nominations.
    I'm begging to think that Ben Affleck has done something to piss voters off.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Pearl Harbor, Gigli...:lol:

Lincoln not opened here yet but from clips seen Day-Lewis looks like gives another solid performance.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty happy with the list this year. Happy to see Life of Pi get 11 nominations. Pretty good for a movie that hardly got talked about.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Life of Pi bombed at the box office, so we never got a chance to see it. any chance that these nominations might have the studio re-release the film?

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best Animated Feature should not have five nominations when there are never five animated films in a year that blow you away like Wall-E or The Lion King. Limit it to three like the makeup category.

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Most likely. Nominations usually spark a brief re-release to capitalize on the publicity.

I really liked Life of Pi; it's very different from the usual fare.

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It made almost $100 million, though not quite its budget -- but it was a huge hit overseas. Like, seriously, it might hit $500 million worldwide.

I doubt they'd rerelease it at his juncture.

The directing branch certainly went its own way this year. With Affleck, Bigelow, and Hooper left out, Lincoln has a pretty clean shot at the win.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Life of Pi was still playin' where I work 'til last week...but it was down to one show a day.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was the best movie nobody seemed to be talking about. There was practically no buzz for it. But the fact that it has 11 when Lincoln has 12 is a pretty big deal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I'm disappointed it didn't get a Best Score nomination (it did get a Golden Globe nomination, which is nice). While Skyfall and Argo's scores were decent, there were better this year. I would have nominated Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit, too.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm disappointed that Moonrise Kingdom didn't nominated for Best Picture, but I can't say I'm surprised. At least it got a Best Screenplay nod.

I'm also a bit disappointed that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey only got three nominations (all technical awards), but again, I'm not surprised, although one would think with ten Best Picture nominations available, it would have picked up one.

That is insane. Not only would I give it a nomination, I would give it the damn Oscar! Sorry, The Hobbit.

2005 when Ang Lee won Best Director for Brokeback Mountain and Crash won Best Picture.

Shit, I forgot about Howard Shore's score. I'm very disappointed it didn't get nominated.

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still haven't had a chance to see most of these, but I probably will before the Oscar night. But are all the five nominees in the Best Actor category really better than John Hawkes in The Sessions? I'm really surprised he wasn't nominated.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TDKR Oscar noms: 0
    The Avengers Oscar noms: 1

Nice.

:lol:

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Actually, thinking about it, Cloud Atlas might have been nominated for almost any category.. but I think it should have been a shoo-in for makeup (which I already mentioned) and editing (which is just odd that it wasn't).

Considering that the film was made independently, there must have been some behind-the-scenes reason, perhaps involving political favoritism that has little to do with the merits of the film itself, that kept it off the ballot for absolutely everything. I know the Academy is really stingy about such things (including who is and who is not on the various guilds) but it's insane that it would be passed up at least for a nod on all of these categories. There must be something else afoot that the Hollywood insiders know about.

20. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Probably a mix of low crititcal enthusiasm (64% on RT) and poor box office performace.