Conversation(s) Heard After the Movie [spoilers, maybe]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Joel_Kirk, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The only trouble with these practically arbitrary lists is that they aren't actually plots. Tragedy is a "plot?" ("Okay, so tell me the plot of the new movie." "Okay, are you ready? Here it is -- tragedy!") And "the quest" and "voyage and return" sound suspiciously like the same thing. Can't you slay a monster while on a quest? Or a voyage?

Joseph Campbell argued, convincingly IMO, that there is only one hero plot.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he convinced a lot of Hollywood anyway.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, in the aforementioned David Gerrold workshop, after discussing examples of Man vs Nature, Man vs Man (or Woman)and Man vs Himself, IIRC, he said that you could also sum up every plot as "The Man Who Learned Better".

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Back on topic.....

I overheard a guy say to his friends the movie was more epic than he expected it to be. I heard someone praising the music. Heard no negative comments at all. The general buzz was positive.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

'Khan and the Augments created by Carey Wilber and Gene L. Coon', perhaps?

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every character, every line of dialogue, every incident ever to have occurred in a Trek movie or tv episode is the property of Paramount and/or CBS, to use as they please.

Some creators are due payment for the use of characters, but they have no control.

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

That's going to happen with Superman Returns, I predict.

8. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Walking out of a mostly full theatre at the end of Star Trek Into Darkness, I didn't hear any conversations whatsoever. Which in it's self is weird. Nobody was discussing the movie we just watched, either for good or for bad. Nor was anyone talking about their plans for the rest of the night. Just a couple hundred people walking out of a movie theatre in relative silence while the Alexander Courage Star Trek theme played.

That was another weird thing. When I saw the last J.J. Trek in 2009 nobody left their seats until after Nimoy's "Space the final frontier..." speech and the Star Trek theme during the closing credits. At the end of Star Trek into Darkness people started walking out right when Pine started his "Space the final frontier..." speech. By the time he got to "...where no man has gone before." nobody was sitting and nearly half the audience was out the doors. I said after, that it was like leaving a hockey game with five minutes left in the third period. I just thought it was interesting the different reactions from audience members in 2009 and 2013.

When I got out of the theatre and when I was almost to the parking lot was the only time I heard anyone say anything about the movie. It was a group of teenagers smoking weed, and one of the girls said "So they can cure death now, with magic blood?" One of the guys then added "And they can beam anywhere in the galaxy." At which point I had walked past them but I heard a girl ask someone "Could they do that in the show?" To which some guy said something like "No... but then again the show was good and had good writers." There was laughter followed by someone saying "Well, the special effects were good..." Then I was out of earshot and nearly at my car.

That was all I had heard anyone say about STD the night I saw it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I highly doubt it.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Highly... ISWYDT :lol:

11. Kruezerman

I didn't catch that till just now, thank you for that! :lol:

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Your honesty and integrity are an inspiration to pot smoking teens everywhere, particularly pot smoking teens who prefer a tv series made 35 years before they were born.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Interesting, because I had a similar experience:

Caught a few swell eggs hangin' around an old jalopy of theirs swiggin' some hooch they scammed off a local Gin Mill. So as I strolls by, I hears one of 'em sayin', "Ya' know, that Kirk's quite a fly boy, and is quite the big cheese with the dames." They all nodded, and one of said, "And did you catch the gams on that Carol Marcus? Boy, what I wouldn't give to steal a cash or two from her in my rumble seat I tell ya'." "Yeah, but what's with the giggle wiggle all over the galaxy now? The whole space-time continuum thing ain't copasetic if ya' ask me." "Ahhh, says you. Don't be such a wet blanket. Ya' don't know from nothin'..."

Yep. Honest to g-d. Happened just like that...

14. Kruezerman

Dafuq did I just read.

15. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

That's how the kids talk these days, right? With their jazz music on the Victrola...

16. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, sarcasm much? How is it a stretch to think a 16 to 25 year old could prefer TOS over STD? Wrath of Khan came out before I was born but it's still my favorite Star Trek movie. How does the age of a movie or show diminish the quality of it's writing?

I never even considered that they were talking about 1960's TOS. Most people consider the title Star Trek to encompass all of Star Trek and not just the 3 seasons from 1966 to 1969. His comment about "the show" having better writing could have been about DS9, or even Enterprise (although someone would have to be high to think Enterprise had better writing than STD)

But whatever, I don't care. If I had overheard a positive conversation after Star Trek into Darkness I would have written about that, but I didn't. Not even a: "wasn't it cool when that guy did that thing and was all like arghh?" Like what one usually overhears after a big action movie. Instead all I heard was "the special effects were good." That's praise I guess.

However, before the movie, while I was in line to get my ticket, there was a couple of 20 somethings in front of me. The guy suggested that they see STD. The girl said "Star Trek's gay." So they got two tickets for Fast and the Furious.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing gay at all about watching muscley guys driving cars for two hours.:p

18. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Not trying to be shallow but Chris, Zachary and BC are way hotter than the guys from FF6:)

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. I am personally gay for them.

20. Kruezerman

I'm gay period. But The Rock...I like my men big.