The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Glenn will probably shoot him. I doubt that they'll go all fancy and have Daryl kill him. Rather I suspect that Daryl will just stand down and let Glenn kill Merle.

2. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

What Michonne could have said: Andrea, this nutjob has been keeping his turned daughter in a cage and running experiments on walkers trying to bring her back to life. Oh, and did you not see his wall-o-heads? The one on top is the pilot. He killed the pilot. He killed the National Guard guys. He captured people on the road and is holding them, most likely to torture and use in his walker experiments. This dude is straight up Hannibal Lecter crazy. If he thinks skinning you and wearing you as a Sunday School dress will bring his daughter back, money's even he will do it. Wake the fuck up, shoot his crazy ass and let's get out of here!

What Michonee said instead: ... *stares, turns, runs away*

Even without all of that, Andrea is dumber than a bag of nails. I pray she and her Jonestown cult leader boyfriend / father surrogate get eaten in the midseason finale. I hate them both so, so much.

Killing Oscar was lame and predicable. Not killing him would have been the gutsy move. Too bad, I thought he could have been a decent addition to the group. At least he had a personality.

Axel is clearly the group perv, but it almost seems like they're playing it for laughs at this point: "Oh, Axel, you doof, no one could possible want to have sex with you. Loser. Go play with your mustache." He'll make a go for Beth, though, but probably not until next half of the season.

Merle and Darryl will be back with the group for the midseason finale (based on the smoke grenade detonation at the fight pit and Maggie's reaction to Darryl's tag-along in the preview). He might survive to the season finale to ramp up tension, but I think either Carol or Darryl will kill him.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I sense a purge coming. Otherwise there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

Here's hoping it doesn't get too soapy...

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Shane would have been good at that.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Michonne was fed up with her. When someone she once thought of as a friend is so taken by the governor--and holds a gun on her, it is as hopeless a feeling as family members who visited Jonestown, only see them completely under the control of a psychopath/manipulator.

Michonne probably thought, "Andrea, you asked for everything you're going to get."

I think he will make a move, only to be tag-team killed by Hershel or Carl. The expression on Carl's face (after the Beth incident) said it all about Axel's chances of staying among the breathing going forward.

Yeah, at this point, Merle will last long enough to squeeze more inner demons/loyalty issues out of Daryl.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the impression it was turning her back on Andrea. She's done with her now & not even willing to offer a "Look around, dumbass, & wake the fuck up"

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why wait? Carl should go for it now, even if he's still only shooting blanks. ;)

Time is the enemy here.

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Weren't we promised a major character death in the mid-season finale? I really don't care because I have found that a lot of the deaths on the show seem cheap (somehow the comic makes them feel "real" for lack of a better term). But, I seem to recall them saying that, yet the only deaths I saw in this were Token Extra Man and Donna (who in fairness was a major character in the comic).

9. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a different theory about Merle.

Yes the Governor is pissed at him, but when they caught Daryl, he decided to stage the events in the pit, to set Merle up as the inside man in Rick's camp. He already knew Daryl and Merle were brothers when he was brought into the pit.

He will allow them to escape, even if it costs him a few more bodies, simply because he doesn't want these neighbors so close. He'll lose his control over some of the citizens of Woodbury if they think they can be safer at the prison.

When the Governor is through using Merle, then he will kill him.

10. TREK_GOD_1

I'm suspecting your theory is moving toward truth, only I think the entire Merle being a prisoner scene is complete set up and he remains a trusted member of Woodbury. When the confrontation with Maggie happens in the woods, that will be Daryl's turning point as Merle tries to turn the "older brother" screws again.

11. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I doubtful that the Governor will trust Merle again. Merle has lied to the Governor twice - the prison can't be taken, and Michionne is dead. Both lies have resulted in the town being attacked, the death of Penny, and erosion in the faith of the people for their Governor.

I am tired of the shtick of black man in, black man out.

I am anticipating the latter half of this season.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Nope. This was the midseason finale. ;)

The show returns February 10.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, she only lowered her sword because she was thinking, "I don't want to risk getting any dumbass germs on a really good blade." ;)

I disagree. He's making Merle out to be an inside man for his own purposes, but everything he said in the pit was true. He said Merle was a traitor and that Merle had brought the attackers there.

Merle was a traitor for lying about Michonne (which the Governor discovered the hard way). And Merle did bring the attackers down on them by failing to kill Michonne and by taking the others prisoner. (Despite the fact that the Governor was okay with that too.)

It was pretty obvious before this that the Governor was having some doubts about Merle. So it would serve his purposes to let Merle take the fall for real.

I am a little unclear, however, on exactly how he knew Daryl was Merle's brother.

Okay, so: Talking Dead confirms that Rick is hallucinating Shane. I wasn't sure if I saw what I saw.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I missed this whole Shane hallucination some how. When and where does it happen? Oh wait, was that one guy he gunned down supposed to be Shane? I didn't even realize. He looked so different with hair and the sideburns.

15. Silvercrest

Just think of him as Season One Shane.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol, somehow I just can't see Michonne ever being that talkative.

Plus, she just barely survived an incredibly brutal and intense fight with the Governor. I imagine putting together a coherent sentence would probably be hard for anyone after something like that.

17. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Loved the episode last night!

Love the new 'mini' group and how it will intermingle with the Rick and Co.

Michonne was bad ass in her fight with the Gov.

Merle/Daryl Tag team battle action?

Andrea, even after everything you have seen, you are still sticking with the guy?

Enjoyed the whole 'lesbian' conversation lol.

Carl: taking charge and kicking arse

18. TREK_GOD_1

That's the key point: the Governor is--among other negative things--a hypocrite; he was okay with Merle taking prisoners (who were armed, and cleaned up enough to suggest they are doing well, which--in that world--would mean another protected location).

Adding to that, he was fine with planning to attack the prison, never stopping to consider that Maggie could have lied about the numbers, and he was clueless about her group's firepower. He was willing to walk into a situation that has the chance to go south, and lead vengeful survivors right back to Woodbury, yet he blames Merle for his latest troubles?

I think the only plausible explanation is that Daryl--knowing that Merle is there--revealed his identity off screen, as a way of protecting himself from harm.

Anyone catch the preview's quick cut of Beth planting (what seemed to be) a tender kiss on Rick?

Uh-oh....father vs. son....

19. Silvercrest

Well... let's just say Merle is an easy target. The Governor is a control freak, and as you say, he's also a hypocrite. When things go wrong this badly, he has to find someone to take the fall so he can shift blame and stay on top.

It was just convenient that everything he said about Merle was technically true. That's why I don't think this is a put-on. Merle is in trouble for real. (And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!)

On the other hand, it also means that the Governor believes his own hypocrisy. But for someone who's a little out of touch with reality that also fits. "Subject myself to the horrors", indeed.

Works for me!

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^That was my assumption, as well.

I think it would be dramatically very satisfying to have Daryl kill Merle, but I'm not so sure that will happen. It would, however, be great for Daryl's development to get past the abuse of his upbringing.