Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it fails the task and sounds like unintended comedy.

One test I've thought of, when writing techno-exposition, is to try to think of an analogous situation in today's world, then think how a person today would formulate that description. In this case, the question is, what exotic ancient weapons do we have today that might need a similar explanation? The bow and arrow? Well, I think most people know what that is. A sling is a definite maybe. But, a sword, a spear? Not so much. See, the fact is that I am really hard pressed to think of any ancient weapons that aren't in use any more, but that would actually require an explanation today. That's what is out of place.

Why can't Sulu just say (grinning):
    and just leave it at that?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's silly dialogue - if one were desperate to rationalize it in-story, one might suggest that Sulu pompously thinks he's impressing that young woman with something he considers arcane knowledge. In that case it should have been more obviously played for laughs, since the woman's reaction ought to have been some variation on the theme of "duh!" :lol:

3. CorporalCaptain

That's a good one.

4. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is running amok so as to buy time for Act 4, isn't it?

5. CorporalCaptain

What? There is some sort of delay?

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Sulu's not actually talking to a young woman in that scene, is he? It's been so long since I've seen the episode and it makes so little sense that I confuse bits of it - I've got him confused with the guy who sees the old airplane.

7. CorporalCaptain

He's alone, but Ensign Main Babe runs over to him with Kirk and McCoy to see what all the ruckus is about. Maybe he could try to impress her then. She is awfully pretty.

Anyhoo.

A public union employee, a tea party activist, and a CEO are sitting at a table with a plate of a dozen cookies in the middle of it. The CEO takes 11 cookies, turns to the tea partier and says, 'Watch out for that union guy. He wants a piece of your cookie.'
    I like. I've goggled it, but it's everywhere and it's hard to find where it originates.

8. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Maybe he's just trying to impress Kirk. ;)

9. Admiral Buzzkill

It's a joke I picked up on FaceBook - I don't know who told it, but I put it in quotes just to indicate that it's not mine until I find out.

10. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

Tallguy makes a serious point. This thread is running amok. Let's stick to the main topic of this subject thread shall we?

11. CorporalCaptain

Twenty quatloos that Dennis doesn't care!

12. Admiral Buzzkill

13. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Let me be the first to make the announcement.

Here it, isn't.

So, apparentely a hiccup can be anywhere from ten years to fifteen million years. Totally understandable.

I took up space as a major in college but I don't know what is going to happen next and I pride myself on knowing practically everything about nothing, only too well.

14. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

In case I've misunderstood something here, then scroll down to my view on South Park.

In case, I haven't then read on further.

I'm well aware of hiccups every so often. However that was not the point I was trying to make.

My point was this. The subject thread is about Exeter's progress. Let's stay on topic there, instead of going all over the canvas with other subjects that have no relation to this one. It will get confusing to people who are new on the BBS.

And Just to clarify things, I have learned the full scoop on the hiccup from someone who was directly involved. I'm satisfied with the information, so consider that my final word in the matter.

Oh, and two hundred quatloos to ban South Park and its crude humor from the airwaves, indefinately. I don't know what people find so special about this 'cheap cartoon', but honest to God, its subject matter is a lot to be desired.

If people want controversy, they should rent either Capricorn One or Midnight Express. Now those films are controversial.

South Park's controversy and 'bathroom humor' subject matter certainly gives cartoons a very bad name.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's no reason to ban anything in a 500 channel universe... if you don't like it, simply watch something else.

16. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Quite so. Personally, I find South Park can be quite entertaining and thought-provoking. And it helps when they throw in a lot of Star Trek jokes.

17. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

The only Star Trek joke that I noticed was the spoof of 'Dagger Of The Mind'(an episode of TOS that was not all that hot, despite its interesting premise). Aside from that, that was it.

Entertaining and thought-provoking? Maybe to those of such juvenille, sophomoric, and liberal mentalities. But to those of a more staunch, conservative nature, not in the slightest bit.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

IDIC anyone?

19. bob reed

bob reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So who is this guy to be able to come in here and just insult who ever he wants? :evil:

20. Expo67

Expo67 Captain

Point taken. I stand corrected.