Rank the 2005 Doctor Who Companions

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by tomalak301, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it's hard to choose as there isn't much room between a lot of them. I think you have to look at it two ways... how well did the actor perform the part written for them, and how was the character written.

For instance, I agree with some of what others have said with Martha, the fact she had a crush on the Doctor lessened her character a great deal in my eyes, and that is probably one of the reasons Donna was so popular because she was more of a traditional companion and not all "gooey eyed". If Martha had not had a thing for the Doctor then I'd imagine she would be a lot more popular. I think Freema was a good actress and played the part well.

So my list goes

Donna
    Rory
    Amy
    River
    Wilf
    Rose
    Jack
    Martha

2. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Its nice to see that Donna gets so much love! I was under the impression that people didn't like her. But I totally agree that she was the one that changed the most and was probably the most fun.

I'm one of those people that actually likes Martha. I agree that she was seriously undermined by the writers having her pine over the Doctor. On the other hand, she was most competent of all of the new companions and the most useful. Hell she went all super spy world traveler in the Master's alternate history. It made sense that she, of all of the companions, would end up working for UNIT and being a consultant to Torchwood.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

About Martha... I find it odd that more people can't sympathize with a story about unrequited love. I thought that was a rather common human experience.

4. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rose
    Captain Jack (1st season)

All the others are kind of equal, except:

Amy. God I can't stand the bloody annoying cow.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I actually really liked Martha. She was my favorite RTD companion. She saved the world from the Master single-handedly!

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh it is, it was just the way it was handled. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, Freema isn't a great actress, but beyond that, and probably more importantly, she hasn't the screen presence needed to compete with the likes of Tennant/Barrowman who eat up the screen. Too often she just blended into the background in a way that none of the other nu companions have.

Odd really that in many ways she had the best exit of any nu Who companion, in that finally someone walked away from the Doctor rather than having to be torn away from him because she (and he) wanted to travel with him for-evah!!

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Of course it is. Whining about it (seemingly) endlessly inspires irritation more than sympathy, though. A more accomplished actress may have been able to make it work, but even so there's only so much anyone can do with Martha's "you love(d) [Rose], why don't you love meeeeeee?" drivel.

I found Martha very one-dimensional and irritating, but to each their own.

8. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Donna
    Amy/Rory
    Rose
    Martha
    Others

There was no companion that I really didn't like at all, though I found Martha the least interesting one and probably liked Donna the most because she changed the most.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

1) Donna/Martha
    2) Rose/Mickey/Jackie
    3) Jack
    4) Sarah-Jane
    5) Wilf
    6) Astrid
    7) Rory
    8) River
    9) Amy

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't let the Doctor see you calling Jackie a companion...he would NOT be amused :rommie:

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

ROMANA II
    Ace
    Sarah Jane Smith
    Everybody else, with Amy last. (I don't get the Amy love. She was a pain. A Ginger pain.)

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

2005+ Doctor Who Companions. As much as I want Lalla Ward to return, I don't think she counts.

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

1) The Ponds, including River Song
    2) Donna
    3) Martha
    4) Captain Jack
    5) Rose

14. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blasphemy! Exterminate! Exterminate!

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Fine. Forced to pick, I pick Martha, with Rose a close second. I had no use for Donna at all, and Dalek Souffle Girl was cute but doesn't count until she's actually ridden in the TARDIS once. Top of the also-rans is Lady What's her face (played by Michelle Ryan).

And Amy is still last, cause she's still a ginger pain.

16. T'Pala

T'Pala Lieutenant Red Shirt

Martha
    Rory
    Rose
    Jack
    Amy
    Donna
    Mickey

17. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Donna