E3 2013 Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Jun 10, 2013.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all intents and purposes, E3 kicks off today with the two big press conferences from Microsoft and Sony, as well as press conferences by EA and Ubisoft. Nintendo wont be doing a press conference this year, instead they'll release a special Nintendo Direct video tomorrow. You should be able to watch the conferences live here, and here's a timetable I found for the major timezones:

[​IMG]

Some rumours from an allegedly reliably source on NeoGAF were posted this morning, many of which don't sound too good on the DRM front. The OP intentionally writes like a crazy idiot so that no gaming sites will quote him, so here's a translated version:

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

"DRM plans are actually worse than what they've stated".

How can MS make it any worse. lol

3. TheGodBen

There's a rumour in that thread that MS plans for a Gold account to be mandatory for all games, even singleplayer ones. It sounds too crazy to be believable, but it kind of makes sense in light of the rumours that have been around for the last few months that MS is planning a cheaper model subsidised by a Gold subscription.

My guess is that there'll be two Xbox Ones, a standard model that costs around $500 and a subsidised one that costs roughly $300. If you buy the subsidised model and let your Gold subscription lapse, you can't play any of your games until you renew it. If you buy the more expensive model then you don't need a Gold subscription for singleplayer games, but you still have to deal with the ridiculous DRM.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^WOW!!

A gold acount to play even single player, if this is true i doubt MS will mention it here at E3, you would want to slip DRM of that nature under the wire at all costs.

This E3 is going to be fun. lol

5. TheGodBen

Most likely. MS will avoid discussing their DRM policies as much as they can get away with. They cancelled their post press conference media roundtable, and they seem to have cancelled most of their one-on-one interviews with the gaming press, probably so as to avoid the sort of clusterfuck of mixed messages that followed the XBO reveal. Their focus at E3 is going to be games, games, and more games, hoping that gamers will ignore all that policy stuff if we see a few good games we want to play.

6. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Live feed:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

And apparently Kiefer Sutherland will be the new voice for Snake in Metal Gear Solid...

New trailer for the new MGS, there is a definite graphics improvement between current and next gen...
    And they do indeed neglect to mention it will be multiplatform...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new MSG looks fantastic -- I can't wait to pick it up for the PS4.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Damn impressive graphics and good gameplay. Less impressed with yet another 360 unit and...whatever the tank spam is.

9. Kelthaz

Ooh, I like Max.

10. Kelthaz

Yay, I never get tired of storming beaches.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Shiny...

12. Kelthaz

Well, I have made jokes about modern games mostly playing themselves, but I never meant that quite so literally...

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not sure how I feel about that really. The game itself doesn't look finished enough, but then again maybe it isn't.

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

15. TheGodBen

Dead Rising 3. That's 2 of the 4 games mentioned in the leak.

16. Kelthaz

Lousy work computer. My CPU temp reached 115c and I was forced to shut down to prevent it from blowing up and taking out half the office. I missed the last 15 minutes of the conference while it was being fixed.

EDIT: Oh, it's 1 hour and 30 minutes? Cool.

17. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

This will never happen. If the brain(dead)trust at Microsoft pull something like this for all games and XBone models, it will literally mean the death of the Xbox.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

XOne price:

499$ in the US, 499€ in Europe.. WTF? That's about 660 $.. cool, i love getting screwed over without lube.

Factor in about 200$ or Euro for initial games, a second controller maybe and this will be an expensive Christmas.

Well.. if Sony isn't way worse than MS the ship has almost sailed on me being an MS man for the next console generation.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

£429 in the UK for it, not sure about the initial game price but even the Wii U games started at £60-65 so closer to ~£100 for XBO.

20. TheGodBen

Only 2 of the 4 games mentioned in that leak were at the press conference, so I wouldn't trust much else that it has to say.

As for the press conference itself, it's definitely the best Xbox conference in years. Lots of games, only a little bit of Smartglass crap, and an utterly pointless ad for McLaren, but overall it was good. However, as a potential buyer, the games that really intrigued me most appear to be multi-platform, none of the exclusives would convince me to buy this over the PS4. It just wasn't enough to overcome all the reservations I have with the DRM.

The price is expensive, and I expect the PS4 to undercut them with a $400 console.

After seeing the press conference, I'm now guessing that this rumour only applies to the free games that MS are offering to Gold subscribers. If you have Gold and download Halo 3 for free, then you wont be able to play it if your subscription lapses. This is the way that free games on PS+ works.