No News, No Nothing!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Could be worse- you could be a Dr Who fan, stuck with the board being constantly visited by half a dozen people who've seen a sneak preview showing so they can harp on about "ooh, it's fantastic and will melt the internet, but I'm now considering myself to be a personal mate of the producer so I'm not going to tell you why, because if you really wanted to know you could have won the ticket lottery yourself, so stop moaning about it."

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

You could try not reading the DW forum just before a new series.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hardly just the DW forum - because my FB and LJ friendslists are full of DW people, my whole newsfeed is filled with it!

Mere silence is infinitely preferable

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Silly question maybe, but did a part of you feel sad for knowing EVERYTHING about The Dark Knight Rises before you even saw the movie, since you wrote the novelisation??

5. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

A sense of entitlement? Hmmmm....

It's more than that, it's CANON dammit because Gene leaked like crazy when TOS films were around back in the day.

I'm asking for nothing more than an expectation of what went before from the creator rather than any sense of entitlement.

It's like someone has raped my childhood memory of leaks and that's just wrong!!!

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Unless you were a member of a ST club that had a reliable, regular newsletter, "Starlog" magazine and TV's "Entertainment Tonight" (which was distributed overseas as a compressed "Entertainment This Week"), were often the only sources of hot gossip. Actual spoilers were even rarer, if you were lucky enough to know someone who went on a Paramount Pictures soundstage tour during production.

Well, he did get Susan Sackett to leak Bennett and Meyer's intention to kill off Spock, but that turned out to move the death scene to the film's climax instead of near the beginning, which Bennett eventually agreed made for a superior film.

The very first photos of ST II characters in costume were released in a Japanese magazine, "Super-Visual", in January 1982, and the film had its US premiere in early June.

7. Transwarp Drive

Plus the destruction of Enterprise in TSFS. If he didn't like it, he leaked it ergo it's CANON!!

Lol

8. Therin of Andor

My memory is that the destruction of the Enterprise was leaked on purpose by the production team at Paramount which is responsible for making the promotional trailers for all of its movies. It was out of Harve Bennett's and Leonard Nimoy's hands - and Gene R had nothing to do with that leak.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not a silly question. But it's an occupational hazard. I try to avoid spoilers on projects I'm not professionally connected to, but once I sign onto a project, I figure that's just the price I pay for landing the gig--and I want all the info I can get so I get all the details right.

Right now, I'm happy not knowing anything about the next Trek movie, but if somebody offered me a chance to write the novelization . . . let me get my hands on that script!

Fortunately, there are too many movies a year for me to write the novelizations for all of them! So I got the unspoiled experience for THE AVENGERS and I got to compare THE DARK KNIGHT RISES to the script I read last year. It all evens out in the end.

10. Transwarp Drive

It was Nimoy who asserted that Roddenberry leaked the Enterprise news.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bennett and company certainly did resent Roddenberry's tendency to leak information about the later Trek movies - same thing happened with Spock's death in TWOK.

12. Therin of Andor

He didn't leak it very well. I'm sure I recall the first we knew of it was "Starlog" mentioning reaction to the trailer.

There was an interesting "Starlog" interview with Bennett, many years after the fact, where he actually thanks Susan Sackett for that leak, since to patch up the problem of the surprise being blown, they came up with the Kobayshi Maru scenario, in which it appears that Spock - and McCoy, Uhura and Sulu - all seemingly die, and we realise it is a purposely poorly-acted ruse. Only to have Spock die for real towards the end of the film.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ima just gonna say this.

I wish JJ was in charge of the Information bureau of Dr. Who. I would so LOVE to be as in the dark about Who as I'm in the dark about ST:XII.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I'm glad Abrams has nothing to do with Doctor Who and we have as much advance info about it as we do.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would rather case my head in cement.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Abrams should really learn a thing or two from Peter Jackson. Those video blogs of his are huge in social media, and have been steadily building up hype since they first appeared.

Meanwhile, J.J.'s secretive bullshit managed to almost completely erase Star Trek from the public mind.

For fuck sake, ST XII is less than nine months away, and there's virtually NO Internet buzz whatsoever. Not a single piece of promotional material, let alone a teaser. I can't believe Paramount is letting him do this.

This shit could actually end up hurting the movie.

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll repeat what I said above- JJ's "secretive bullshit" really screwed up the previous movie, and this was at a time where Star Trek was already virtually non-existant in the public eye.

Let's be honest here- no one's really concerned about about the movie being seriously hurt... we've all just got our knickers in a twist because we don't have anything to talk about.

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It won't make a blind bit of difference to the popularity of the movie because the vast majority of the people who will go to see it will only be interested in what's showing now.

19. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

to be honest, i'm kinda glad there isn't continual updates, blogs, interviews, videos with the cast / production crew and everything...

says to me they're concentrating on actually making the movie, and not building up senseless hype around it... and i know i for one, would much rather they concentrate on making a kick ass movie, rather than breaking concentration and talking to the fans every week or so :)

M

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Make no mistake people, it's in our interest too that this movie to makes money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.