SCRE4M (Film 2011) Discussion/Grade *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Apr 8, 2011.

?

Grade SCRE4M(Scream 4)!

Poll closed Oct 5, 2011.
  1. A-Excellent!

26.3%
  2. B-Good

36.8%
  3. C-Average

26.3%
  4. D-Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F-Horrible!

10.5%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ah, Bumfuck, such a lovely place.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty surprised actually that this thread has avoided spoilers so far but like I said the film has been under lockdown. The studio has wanted to keep who Ghostface is under wraps as much as possible.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I won't be the first one to discuss spoilers but I have to say I really enjoyed it. They managed to pull it off successfully. Funny and creepy although the creepiest thing I saw was a trailer for Apollo 18. That I want to see.

Recognized quite a few familiar faces. The big three did a good job and for the first time I was actually impressed with the acting of Hayden Panetierre.

I actually didn't read much about the plot or any of the reviews so i went in pretty fresh.

I'm not good with in-depth reviews so I'll let others really discuss the film first.

4. Admiral_Young

While I've not seen it of course, I think the film has done a great job at continuing the franchises tradition of casting "it" actors or ones on the cusp of stardom.

5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was okay. The meta nature of the film was very interesting and I thought the murderer(s?)' motive was a nice twist (I'm not going to be the one to spoil either... for the most part). It wasn't all that funny and I thought the deaths were fairly predictable. I loved the bit at the beginning with Anna Paquin and Kristen Bell. THAT was fun.

One question of a spoilery nature:

All of the new characters (with the exception of the new Deputy) are dead. How in the slightest would this be the beginning of a new trilogy?

6. DarthPipes

Very true, Campe98.

If I had one knock on the film, I would say that the Sydney Prescott character was underplayed. Not by Campbell but by the script/editing. They really don't delve into her background and what she's been doing the past ten years.

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got to say I was quite disappointed with the film. The other films can still make me jump a dozen times; this film only accomplished such once. It wasn't scary. It wasn't funny. It was just dull.

Very minor spoilers follow.

Ghostface (voice) was so much a cardboard cut-out without any real psychology, it was pathetic. Dewey had next to no character; he just drove around a lot and was in charge of a bunch of bad cops. Gail had a moment or two, but little of her old zeal. Sidney, well, she played much less of a scared victim - which was nice - but like the rest, her character was fairly lacking. There was just no thrill or terror, no suspense at all. The film was mostly devoted to the new generation of wanna-bes, none of whom where more than screen props. The film had but a handful of moments with the original 3 that made it worth-while, but otherwise was just a sad example of failure on all levels.

The film had script problems during filming, and such is obvious.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

That's just gotta be annoyin' for everyone who was in the theater with the asshole who kept lightin' up their cellphone.

:scream:

9. Admiral_Young

Ooooh that annoys me lol. Hate that. People texting during films. Turn your freaking phones off please.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

My whole reply will be in spoiler code:

That's the beauty of the film. The whole film leads you to believe this will be a passing of the torch film, a reboot for the series. Hell even the marketing said that, even Wes and Kevin said it. It was the ultimate joke though, this film is actually a big FU to remakes and reboots. Sidney's: "The first rule of a remake is, don't fuck with the original." Is driving home that point.

So yes, we were introduced to a whole new group of characters fully expecting them to be the main stars while the big three were phased out. Yet the big three weren't phased out, they showed they were just as relevant as ever.

That is my favorite twist of the movie.

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got back from seeing it. I can't say I enjoyed it.

I found it to be the worst opening sequence of the series. Critics seemed to say it was brilliant and clever. I didn't think so. Easily the worst teaser of the series, in my opinion.

It just wasn't very good. It's a film that is clearly stuck in the 90s. The formula just doesn't seem to really work anymore. The "rules" that were set up in this film were lame and couldn't have disagreed more with them.

Gail wasn't the Gail that I remember. I miss her being the pushy and outspoken reporter that she was in the previous movies. I didn't feel she had any good moments here. Dewey was the same. He seemed to take a backseat for this one and did nothing but drive around in his cruiser at 900 miles per hour. The main characters were an issue for me too. None of them seemed to even care about one another.

I vividly remember seeing Scream 2 and 3 in the theater. The audience was having a hell of a good time. The audience would jump, scream, and then laugh afterward -- especially in Scream 3. Say what you want about that film, but I found it to be extremely entertaining and funny; especially the scenes involving the real Gale and the actress Gale. In the screening I went to, no one jumped, screamed, nothing. This movie just continued the trend of the third film in that it simply turned into the movie the first two spoofed in the first place.

There's just been too much time. This day and age doesn't seem appropriate for a movie like this anymore. Unlike the original, I don't think we're going to see a resurgence of slasher films.

12. DarthPipes

I just hope it doesn't lead to more crap like Scary Movie, Meet the Spartans, and Vampires Suck. It lead to Scary Movie and that led to all these horribly unfunny "spoofs."

Mary McDonnell has a small role in the film. It's not much at all but it's nice to see her...although she's looking old and haggerd now.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i just got back and i really enjoyed this film. kinda easy to figure out who the killers were, but the whole last half of the film was just great. i thought i had it figured out and it surprised me.

it was a good movie experience too. no one being an ass, no one on their phones. and people actually clapped. i've only ever been to two or three other movies where that happened.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

People clapped at my theater too. Of course I went to the midnight showing on Thursday, so there were probably a fair amount of Scream fans in attendance.

15. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it tonight. It wasn't "good" but these films never really are. I enjoyed it anyway. I went to see attractive people dropping F-bombs and getting stabbed while winking at the camera. That's all Scream ever was and that's all it still is.

It gets a C on its merits as a film but I still had a good enough time to say that I enjoyed myself.

16. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I saw it yesterday. I thought the beginning and ending were really solid, fun and clever. The hour between them sagged quite a bit, though.

Still, better than 'Scream 3.'

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

C-

Silly, but yep, it was full of screaming eye candy.

18. Admiral_Young

Without going into too much detail (really because I'm tired at the moment) I'll say that it was good. Gave it a B. This was much better than "Scream 3" even with the contrived elements in the movie. The cast for the most part was strong (even Emma Roberts whom I found to be extremely annoying all the way through the film), Marco Beltrami's score was excellent as usual. I could almost detect what Ehren Kruger contributed/script doctored/hacked up from Kevin Willamson's script. Why this guy keeps getting work is beyond me. He's right up there with Zak Penn right in terms of one of my least favorite writers. There were definitely some silly moments and scenes in this movie but ultimately I enjoyed it and despite jumping at a couple moments I wasn't scared. The first film is really the only of the four that scared the crap out of me.

19. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, although Scream isn't terrifying or anything, there's definitely a greater sense of dread and fear in that one than in any of the subsequent movies. This occurred to me while I was watching Scream 4.

Scream let the preamble to the kills really breathe. Ghostface was on the phone and he was less furious and the scenes went on a little longer. The scariest parts of a Scream movie aren't Ghostface knifing somebody, it's the creeping dread beforehand. Scream 4 seemed way too anxious to skip to the bloody part, which is almost always less interesting.

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it sunday and it was awesome. this was the best 20 bucks I spent. not going to ruin it for others except this :bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian: great movie going to go see it agin. best horror flick of the year so far.