Spoilers Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Grade Lost Souls

1. Excellent

72.3%
  2. Above Average

19.0%
  3. Average

6.7%
  4. Below Average

1.0%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

So when is this going to be made into a movie? Freekn' awesome D Mack!! Nice I tell ya!!

2. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Regarding the 40% figure, am I correct in assuming that "40% of Starfleet" meant 40% of the fleet itself, rather than 40% of active duty Starfleet personnel? We've been told several times in the literature that only a small percentage of officers and enlisteds actually serve on starships, and a great deal of those stationed on planets and starbases would pursue starship duty if it became an option for them. It would seem that, if starfleet lost 40% of its ships, the personnel crisis wouldn't so much be in filling starship roles as the fleet was rebuilt, it would be in filling groundside assignments that would be created by people taking career fast-track assignments on starships.

Huh. Starfleet personnel issues. I officially think about this waaaaaay too much.

3. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Different worlds seem to have been subjected to different levels of devastation. Ramatis III's surface was visibly glowing by the time that Enterprise got there; Deneva, although ash-shrouded, was safe enough for people to visit the surface safely enough.

Worlds of Deep Space Nine had Andor's population sitting at about eighty million people, so I only hope that it has suffered significantly fewer dead!

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh snap!

Of course, Andor's lower population might well have made it harder for the Borg to exterminate the lot of 'em...

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ OT: Were Andor's reproduction problems every solved?

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Articles of the Federation seemed to indicate that it remained an ongoing problem, though it also seemed to imply that the Andorians weren't on the verge of extinction, either.

7. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

8. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

I would have to agree. There must be captians out there that have had black marks on there record and still made captain.
    Worf's record since that little black mark has been good.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Anyone else noting the glaring error in this volume? The Stygian error?

In the first two books, Mack uses the word Stygian twice in each one. In the third one? That's right, he only uses it once!

10. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Definitely a black mark against the book. A very, very black mark. A mark so black that one wishes there were a single word that could adequately describe just how very dark and black it is...

11. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I'll just echo what other people have already said. This really is the Lord of the Rings of TrekLit. Superb work Mr Mack (and I loved the T:TSCC reference! :p)

That was one thing I was wondering about reading these books. There seemed to be quite a few appearances of Andorians and their different sexes throughout the trilogy, which left me thinking that this may be because we wouldn't be seeing the Blue-skins quite so much after Destiny!

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder what they intend to do with Columbia ..... Maybe they'll give it a complete refit with 24th century technology.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Museum piece. Maybe something along the present day Constitution and HMS Victory. Keep her in commission, but really not much more than a floating exhibit.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard should still have enough influence to retain his senior staff.

15. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

Starfleets got bigger issues than personell shortages.

Refugees(and serving starfleet personell) who fled the Borg invasion are coming back to dead cinders for homeworlds. Relief and reconstruction will be everyones first priority, with what few ships are left to do it with.

Once that is underway the next hurdle will be rebuilding the fleet, which id imagine will be faster than ususal as shipyards weren't targeted that much.

By the time enough new ships get cranked out Starfleet will have a new generation of officers and crew to run the new vessels. Unlike the Dominion War there weren't many survivors waiting to get back in the fight this time, so personell wont be an issue.

I wonder though, what will the other races' reactions be if it becomes common knowledge that the Borg were spawned from humanity?

I cant imagine someone who just lost their family and 80% of their species to be too understanding of the exact circumstances of the Borg's origin.Unless this info is lockdown-classified this is gonna make some folks pretty pissed off at humanity:and react accordingly.

16. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Lost Souls. Simply awesome! There is a scene at the very end where Picard and Crusher are talking about life after the Borg that reminded of a similar scene in B5 where Sheridan and Delenn are talking about life after the Shadow War. Both scenes give that sense that the universe has changed forever.

I thought Bacco had some great lines. I loved her twisted sense of humor. For example, when her aid asks her if she wants to make a speech before Earth is attacked, she says something like "no, why ruin a perfectly good apocalypse?"

I thought the connection between the Caeliar and the Borg was fascinating. I loved the scene where Inyx confronts Sedin. So, basically this incredible evil that is the Borg, was really the result of just one extremely lonely and desperate entity.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

How on EARTH did I miss that?

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's time for Starfleet to crack out Genesis torp. tech again and use it to terraform those worlds that ere completely scrubbed off all life.

As for the big revelation that humanity had a hand in the Borg's birth, yeah that's something that needs to be locked down big time. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of pissed off races going for humans.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ But wouldn't the planets explode again?

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Depends on whether they solve the need for protomatter; which David only used cause he got frustrated and in a rush to see it done. Who knows, by the 24th C. they might crack the stability problem; especially seeing as the thing is, effectively in what it does, a planetary-scale replicator.