Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Of course the show is for kids, but the point is, that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the designs. Frankly I'm appalled by the attitude some people in our culture have that "for children" automatically equates to "low-quality." Surely we owe it to our children to give them the best effort we're capable of in everything we do for them.

Not to mention that anything made "for kids" should be watched by their parents along with them, so it's only good sense to make it appealing to adults as well. Not to mention that adults are creating it and have the right to make it an enjoyable creative experience for themselves. There are countless things made "for kids" that have considerable adult appeal as well -- including many earlier seasons of Super Sentai and Power Rangers. So if your intent is to use "it's for kids" as an excuse for low standards of quality, you couldn't be more profoundly off-base.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

For the "Go-busters VS Gokaiger" movie an even greater grand power is sought after.

The ability for mecha to become past mecha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gouzyujin-Daizujin(MMPR megazord)

Go-Buster Lioh-Gaoking
    Go-buster Ace-Gekitohja

Gokai-oh-Daibouken
    Buster Hercules-Magiking

And we Ryuuseioh(red dragon warrior mode) and flash king

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't the 199 Taisen movie have EVERY SINGLE MECHA, though?

Mark

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yes, thought mostly it was through stock footage.

5. Samurai8472

And this probably won't involve a lot of stock footage because these suits look to be brand new.

Toei might get some mileage out of them. Saban will probably chop and dice the footage for a special.

Obviously the original Red Dragon Warrior mode and MMPR original suits are either at the Bandai Museum or not in filming condition.

6. Samurai8472

First Kyoryuger Promo

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaiH7ADCuM0[/YT]

7. Samurai8472

Megaforce will debut on February 2nd

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-power-rangers-megaforce-premieres-first-look-cast-120000936.html

The rangers with roboknight

[​IMG]

Besides the name roboknight will share his goseiger counterparts exact background

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Gosei_Knight

First 20 episode descriptions of Megaforce season 1 are out

http://www.rangercrew.com/forum/sho...ssion-Thread&p=1059393&viewfull=1#post1059393

A great majority of these episodes have plots that are almost equal to Goseiger episodes.

Also looks like episode 20 will feature the Legend War footage from "Gokaiger" episode 1 or at least lead up to it

It seems Saban is trying to condense/speed through Megaforce/ Goseiger to the in order to get to Gokaiger as fast as he can

Which is both good and bad.

Good- Useless fillers like Eri baking a cake and dealing with GoseiKnight are deleted

Bad- I hope nothing is lost in translation by jumping from what is Episode 6 footage from Goseiger to episode 44 for what will probably be used in episode 20 for Megaforce.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I've seen this one before...

:lol:

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm late to the game. I just checked out the first three episodes of Power Rangers Samurai. You guys were right, it is a step backward. It's not as engaging as Jungle Fury or RPM. Those shows tried to take Power Rangers to a new level with a little more complexity and sophistication, which made it fun for children and adults alike, but Samurai is a lot more simplistic and kid friendly. I was also surprised to hear the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers theme. It was a little awkward with the attempt at different lyrics. And the villains are pirates. Now I can see why they didn't want to jump into a Pirate-based Power Rangers series right after. On a more positive note, having Bulk back was a nice touch.

10. Christopher

^Compared to RPM, Samurai was more like ten steps backward.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The only charm of that series was the plots were based on the Hollywood movies the monsters were named after.

12. Samurai8472

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent start to the new season. It really feels like the writers listened to the criticism of Samurai and made some much needed improvements. We have a much better cast, the inane chatter during combat is gone, we have original unmorphed fight footage, we have an original story, and we're back in a high school setting. Not to mention we have a great mystery over Troy's dreams about the future Ranger war. Sure, there were problems with it and I could nitpick, but I don't feel like it.

Of course, one mystery still remains. Did Troy ever get his water bottle back? It was all I could think about all episode.

14. Christopher

I'm not sure I'd call it an original story, since much of it was a callback to "Day of the Dumpster," the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers pilot episode from 20 years ago. Some of the lines and moments were virtually identical -- the "teenagers with attitude" line (although that was from the main titles, not the actual pilot dialogue), the nerdy Blue Ranger being fascinated by the Big Giant Head's robot assistant, the Pink Ranger worrying about helmet hair at the end. The characters are pretty similar to the original bunch in a lot of ways too (Red = great martial artist, Black = cocky athlete, Yellow = really smart and skilled, Blue = bespectacled science nerd, Pink = the pretty and sweet one). Plus they've got a teen hangout called Ernie's, though it's a very different Ernie.

But on the plus side, they did it better than MMPR's pilot did, with more individual characterization for the team members, and some hints that there will be more (the mention of the Red Ranger overcoming adversity in his life). And the new cast isn't as good as the MMPR cast, but so far seems to be a lot better than the Samurai cast.

I'm annoyed by the inconsistency of the worldbuilding. If all the previous Ranger teams have existed in this show's continuity, then how come these kids have never heard of them? Power Rangers aren't exactly low-profile world-savers. If anything, there should be a lot of public awareness and reverence for all the Ranger teams who've protected the world over the past two decades, and we should've had one of the characters being a huge fanboy of the Rangers and thrilled to be part of the legacy, and maybe another unsure they deserve to be part of the tradition, and so on. It would be a better celebration of the anniversary than just to have the Rangers' very existence somehow forgotten.

And having Gosei be Zordon's protege/inheritor is a nice touch, but if Zordon put Gosei there to defend the Earth in time of need, then how come he's never gotten involved in fighting off the nine previous threats to Earth that have arisen since Zordon died? (Not counting Lost Galaxy since it was in space, or SPD and RPM since they were in the future.)

Hmm... I guess one could make a case that, technically, none of those prior nine threats were alien invasions:

Lightspeed Rescue: demons
    Time Force: criminals from the future
    Wild Force: pollution demons
    Ninja Storm: banished ninja master (although his army consisted of space ninjas)
    Dino Thunder: mutated dinosaur-man
    Mystic Force: undead army
    Operation Overdrive: aliens, yes, but more on an extended treasure hunt than an invasion
    Jungle Fury: more demons
    Samurai: even more demons

Conversely, all the foes that Zordon's Rangers fought -- the Rita/Zedd family, the Machine Empire, Divatox, Astronema, Dark Specter -- were invaders from space, and Zordon himself was an alien. So it's possible that Gosei's brief only extends to alien invasions -- although that seems rather narrow-minded of Zordon. And it would've had to be a really restrictive set of parameters to exclude Lothor's forces. (Maybe it's a Prime Directive sort of thing? Lothor was working with aliens, but it was essentially an internal power struggle between humans.)

One catch is that we do have another alien invasion coming up in 12 years, according to S.P.D., but there was no Gosei in sight there. So either he doesn't survive this series, or he goes into retirement (perhaps because there's already a standing Ranger force in the SPD).

Or maybe it's just a careless continuity error, like the show being in continuity with the previous PR seasons yet the characters never having heard of Rangers.

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By original story, I meant that Megaforce isn't an adaptation of the corresponding Super Sentai season like Samurai. It's an original story that merely uses footage from Goseiger. You're right that it is very similar to "Day of the Dumpster", but this is a special anniversary season. It does make sense.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm too tired to post a full review - or even to just cross-post my review from other sites - but I will say that the old-school tone feels a lot more organic than it ever did in Samurai or even in Dino Thunder, putting me very much in mind of Ninja Storm.

Speaking of, everyone keeps comparing this episode to Day of the Dumpster, but it felt to me like it was much more reminiscent of Prelude to s Storm.

I'm glad to see that It's Morphin Time is officially the morphing call once again, with Go Go Megaforce being an additional 'coda' to cap off the sequence, sort of like the old-school 'Power Rangers (insert team name here)' call.

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Power Rangers in Space is the best of the lot and pisses all over the original show.

And I didn't see it until I was 20, so it's not about nostalgia.

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was... interesting. Though certainly not the best first episode, it seems to off to a good start.

• I love how they started off the episode. :techman:
    • I like how they are keeping certain names and terms from Goseiger.
    • While I groaned at first, in retrospect I do find "It's Morphin' Time" to be a nice callback.
    • The episode was rather effective at getting the character development started.
    • There were a lot of MMPR/Day of the Dumpster references here. Almost too many. You have the giant head with a deep voice and his quirky/hyper robot sidekick, nearly identical characterizations of the rangers, "It's Morphin' Time!", a few scenes/lines paraphrased straight from DotD, and even an Ernie's.
    • I know that kids are the main target for the show, but I wish they could aim a little higher with the dialogue. It sometimes sounds too much like it's written for kids.
    • Loogies?! Seriously? :lol:

Could you explain how you came to this conclusion? Granted, none of them specifically acknowledged that they did know of them, but I'm fairly certain none of them reacted to the term "Power Rangers" in such a way that would indicate that they didn't. I think I would have remembered that. Though it's possible something is slipping my mind.

Yes! I had the exact same thought.

Hmm, that makes sense. Though if I had to guess I'd say the writers probably didn't have this logic in mind. ;)

19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^ The awkward part of the dialogue had them asking what the figures lining the walls were...plus a main character having visions of the Legends war. They should've recognized that those were the previous Ranger teams who've save the planet for 18 near consecutive (SPD excluded) years! Granted, some time may have passed since the last direct threat to Earth between Jungle Fury and Samurai-with RPM existing in an alternate future reality and Samurai localized to one city, allowing youngsters who've grown up since to view such threats as a bit passe` , but even that's a bit hard to swallow.

Other than those kerfluffles, it was a much improved start over PR-S.

20. Christopher

One of them asked "Who are those?" in reference to all the Ranger figurines along the walls. Gosei specifically had to explain to them what Power Rangers were.