Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems to work well enough for Japan, with the Sentai movies basically just being oversized episodes.

And on an unrelated note, Amit Bhaumik has posted details on the "Hexagon" concept.

http://amitbhaumik.tumblr.com/post/38658236644/hexagon

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Ooh, sounds like that would've been a lot better than the lame Ninja Storm.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Wrong, it sounds like dumb fanfic shit, it would have been an awful season.
    Also, Ninja Storm wasn't lame, it was the breath of fresh air that Power Rangers needed at the time, it had great acting and was a fun season all around.

It's pretty ridiculous that this Amit guy claims that Hexagon was the original plan to adapt Hurricanger, it wasn't! It's just something he personally came up with and Disney said "Err ... no", they then hired Doug Sloan and Ann Austen while Amit was shown the door. Just because he worked for PR at the time doesn't make his idea more than what it was, the silly idea of a PR fanboy.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kyoryuger revealed to the public for the first time in Japanese magazines

Till now, only toy sellers knew about them through the toy catalog.

They'll have a cameo in Go-busters VS Gokaiger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Role call!

KyoryuRed : Kiba no Yuusha, the fang hero.
    KyoryuBlack : Dangan no Yuusha, the bullet hero.
    KyoryuBlue : Yoroi no Yuusha, the armor hero.
    KyoryuGreen : Zangeki no Yuusha, the slashing hero.
    KyoryuPink : Tsuno no Yuusha, the horned heroin.

The enemy's grunts are called Zori Soldiers.

5. Christopher

An odd reaction, considering that it would've done the same thing for the first eleven seasons that "Countdown to Destruction" did for the first six. And "Countdown" is still probably the most beloved story in PR history. I'm not sure what makes it sound like fanfic to you.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Countdown to Destruction is a two parter and it only brought two actresses back who had been on the show very recently (the rest were rubber suits and voice actors), the biggest part of the season was still a Megaranger adaptation. This Hexagon idea would require tons of original footage, it's completely at odds with the Hurricanger footage, the storyline as presented requires specific rangers to appear when not a single actor had been approached about his availability etc.

Look at Power Rangers in Space, it featured the search for Zordon, it brought back some older characters but those were small parts, most of the time the show revolved around the new villains, the Andros/Astronema story and the other current rangers. Hexagon sounds like Countdown to Destruction stretched over an entire season, there's so much wrapping up and fanservice going on that the new rangers seem like an afterthought (did you notice that they are barely mentioned?). Power Rangers should always be about the current team, you can throw in references to the past, you can bring back old characters but only to seve the current characters stories.

That's why Gokaiger worked, they brought back countless characters but at its core the series was about the Gokaiger themselves, it was their story, they learned and grew, the old characters just helped them out along the way. Hexagon is too in love with the franchise's past and puts too much focus on it, that what makes it sound like dumb fanfic to me, it's a fanboys wet dream but not a realistic approach to an adaptation of Hurricanger.

7. Christopher

What's wrong with that? MMPR season 2 was mostly original footage.

No, it isn't; read the article again:

The idea specifically grew out of the Hurricanger premise of two rival Ranger teams.

Again, from the article:
    Bhaumik never claims it was more than a tentative idea, one that they didn't get the chance to develop further because of the decision to move production to NZ. Any other idea developed at the same time would've been aborted at an equally preliminary stage (and it sounds like several other "potential visions" indeed were), so that doesn't make sense as a criticism of this particular idea.

False. There are several paragraphs' worth of discussion about the roles the new Rangers would play. Bhaumik again:
    The article focuses on the ties to old continuity because that's presumably what the readers want to hear about. But that doesn't mean the actual season premise had an identical emphasis. What you're reading is not the actual proposal, but a discussion of particular aspects of it.

Speak for yourself. I think it's a marvelous idea and would've been a hell of a climax to the Saban era. Whether it's a faithful adaptation of the Sentai season is irrelevant to me. We've just seen a season that was a slavish adaptation of its Sentai equivalent and it pretty much sucked. Many of the best PR seasons, by contrast, have kept as little as possible of the source material and told their own entirely original stories.

8. Samurai8472

Time force and wild force were 80% sentai adaptations. Time force was good.

wild force couldn't save an already bland sentai concept

As for the future mega force, IMO it seems Saban is trying grab hold of any MMPR nostalgia he can milk

[​IMG]

Right down to megaforce pink wearing short shorts, blue being the geek and all being in high school

Contrast this with most of the weapons and gear keeping goseiger
    Terms

http://www.rangerboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Their megazord is the "gosei great megazord"

Their mentor has "gosei" in its name

Morpher is the gosei morpher

So basically I have no idea if they're being slavish or nostalgic

9. Christopher

Which only proves my point. It's absurd to think you can predict the quality of a PR season by how faithful it is to the Super Sentai equivalent. The quality of any adaptation is never simply a function of fidelity, because an adaptation is a new work with its own creative voice and approach. What matters is the execution of the work itself, not its relationship to its source.

The relationship of the PR season to the SS season is only significant to the people who watch SS. But those people are a tiny minority of the PR audience. I, for one, have never seen an SS episode in my life; all I know is what I've read about them. The whole point of PR is to use SS footage as source material for a series aimed at an audience that hasn't seen SS and knows nothing about it. So all that matters is how good the PR season's story is on its own terms. Sometimes it can be good by doing a close adaptation of a good SS season; other times it can be good by mostly ignoring the source material and crafting a solid original story. Or it can be bad in either of those ways, or anything in between.

Fans and critics are always trying to find these simplistic, monocausal explanations for what makes something good or bad, but they're overlooking the obvious: If the formula for making something good were that simple, then everything would be good. You just can't make any blanket assumptions about what works and what doesn't -- except that putting care and integrity and hard work into whatever you attempt is more likely to turn out well than the alternative.

Huh? Why are you assuming the Blue Ranger is "the geek?" He's dressed quite stylishly and has a confident smile. And I thought we'd long outgrown the old stereotype that glasses are somehow equated with being uncool.

And that doesn't matter. What matters is whether they do it well, whatever "it" turns out to be. Samurai could've been a terrific season if they'd been willing to spend the money on more experienced actors and writers and cast Japanese actors as the Shibas so it'd be a little more plausible. The problem there was with the execution, not the concept. Any concept can be done well or badly.

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I didn't necessarily mean the TV feel as a bad thing. As for the sentai movies, some of them aren't even oversized. :rommie:

While I didn't dislike Ninja Storm (even if it was Hurricanger-lite) I do think PR does better when it exercises some originality. Plus, it'd be nice to have put a bow on the previous seasons. For those reasons, fanwank or not, I like the basic Hexagon premise.

11. Samurai8472

Right the Shinkenger's first movie was the length of an episode

New magazine scans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our cast!

12. Christopher

Those costumes just don't work for me.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i could do without the one shoulder pad. the jagged Charlie Brown line makes the whole thing look a little too busy.

14. Christopher

I don't like the jagged "teeth" across the chest, I don't like the helmets, I don't like anything about them. I particularly dislike the dinosaur heads printed on the upper left of the "sawtooth" area. It makes them look like they're wearing kids' pajamas.

15. Samurai8472

Character name/ ranger color/ actors name

Daigo Kiriu/Red - Ryo Ryusei

Nobuharu Udou/Blue - Yamato Kinjo

Amy Yuzuki/Pink - Ayuri Konno

Souji Rippukan/Green - Akihisa Shiono

Ian Yorkland/Black - Yuusuke Saito

The short description of the series

There's supposed to be a global invasion feel to it.

Some of the rangers come from different parts of the world.

Ian yorkland the black kyoryuger has European heritage.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Definitely shades of Zyuranger.

They didn't design it for people like us in mind. Their primary audiences will is always Japanese school age kids and their parents.

Gokaiger didn't work. Its obsession with bringing in past guest characters who were pretty much interchangeable worked to the detriment of the main characters with the main villains remaining obsolete and pathetic to end and the development of many of the heroes being rushed including Silver who never even got an arc.

Then again it probably was never a good idea to cash in on the anniversary with a series that was intended as a One Piece clone rather than an anniversary show.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  17. Christopher

But there have been many prior Ranger costume designs that were very aesthetically pleasing, or at least not ugly. These are an exception to that general rule. So that argument doesn't wash for me. It's nonsense to say that what's designed with children in mind can't appeal to adults as well, since there are many, many counterexamples.

18. Samurai8472

I'll agree with Chris on that part. Just because it's a kids show doesn't mean they have to make the designs just for kids.

Hyper Hobby magazine portion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Looks like more Dino Thunder.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it's based on the source material for DT and more importantly the material for the original PR, which was the kind of the golden standard for appealing to children.

The show is FOR kids. Other than parents, the bulk share of the audience are kids. Adults are not the main audience. Its profitability comes from 1) kids tuning in and 2) persuading their parents to buy the merchandise. It's not like late night anime where they can make a profit by charging exorbitant prices for dvds and figures from otakus.