A couple more aliens from behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Ooooooo those alien pics are wicked cool!
    As always, thanks for posting them~

2. Eagle

Eagle Commander Red Shirt

RE: Engineering Concept

That's exactly what I was expecting to see in the movie - an updated TMP Engineering set-up but with bigger engineering components. Whoever designed that concept art deserves a bonus.

Maybe though, the concept art depicts what the ejected dilithium chamber sections actually do look like in their on-board set-up, we never actually got to see that part of engineering did we ?

All we got was the fuel pods and some deuterium feed pipes.

Hopefully, we will see something like that concept art in the next film.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa, wtf. The bridge and engineering concept design look THOUSAND times better than the end result.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I hadn't picked up on this when watching the movie, but those look like shortwave-radio antennas sticking up in several places -- just about the size you'd use for 11-meter-band voice communication while driving around in an automobile. Heh.

Liking these, but one thing which occurs to me is how much squawking there was right after the movie's release about how big the "brewery" engineering set was. These look like they might be even greater in volume.

Nice hippie shades, dude. :cool:

And that's just a great shot. :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Could you reup the bridge concept shots? I can't seem to view them. Everything else is great though, especially the engineering shots.

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Vulcan chapter of the Jim Carrey Fan Club meets for the very first time...and it is a rousing success.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Tom Servo

I fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE that second Phase 2 concept.

I really hope they tweak the bridge a little for the second film. I liked it, but I really hope it has more color next time like these concepts.

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Thanks for finding those for me. I'm not much of a design-oriented kind of guy, so from the thumbnails it was hard for me to see the difference, but those do look a tad better than the ship on screen, well, better in regards to the neck and front of the secondary hull.

10. Tom Servo

You know looking at the first engineering concept, It looks like the end of that room is the front of the bussard collector on the nacelles. That looks to be INSIDE the nacelle itself. Thats pretty awesome.

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This kid's a Trekkie! I now have faith in the younger generation and the future.:bolian:

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    To be fair, I've met or known more than a few kids and teens into TREK. But almost all of them had parents and/or siblings who are or were also into the franchise so that is a big influence and help. I don't think too many kids would get into TREK independent of family influences and tastes.

13. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That second one looks pretty cool as-is. Sort of a nice intermediary look between ridgeless and ridged Klingons.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I agree completely. There's too much potential that's either not used, or is only explored in non-canon media and can be effectively ignored by the studio. Whereas a series like B5 or Star Wars can take a random background alien who might appear for all of five minutes and create a full description of the race and culture and how they relate to the rest of the universe.

15. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I go back and forth on that sort of thing. Redundant alien species seem silly to me, but too much repetition of less-major species can make the universe seem small, which is often a problem with Trek in general. At the end of the day, though, I'd rather see one species developed in two appearances than replaced with a redundant species in a second appearance.

16. Brianruns10

Brianruns10 Ensign Newbie

What no green girls? There was a whole featurette for them on the blu-ray. Let's get on this lucky international folks who got the pic early! :)

17. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I don't think it's the size/volume people were really "squawking" about - It was more of that it looked like a brewery. (You could see the concrete floors & a cinder-block wall!)

These concepts would have made a far superior engineering set. I know that there were major cost considerations, but a good dose of CGI may of helped that factor.

Wishful thinking here - Maybe they'll get enough of a budget to finally get a varation this on screen in the next movie. Build only the parts of the sets the actors interact with, and CGI/Matte the rest.

*Remember, Starfleet seems to always do upgrades to their ships between missions(movies). :lol:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Those engineering concepts are so fucking superior over that brewery set. And in addition they even look like people spent some thought on designing it similar to the TMP engine room.

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, agreed completely. You would think that with all the TMP homages/winks in the film, engineering would be a shoo-in for some TMP-style touch-ups.

20. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

What in the hell are those buttons on top supposed to do?!?!?

And is the bottom circular part there to keep a cup of coffee hot???