Why didn't Picard know Sito Jaxa ['Lower Decks'] was on his ship?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DostoyevskyClone, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

Glad my meaningless question thread managed to generate some meaningful discussion. I may post a separate thread about this because I now have several questions about who selected which crew members for assignment and promotion.

My failing memory actually did recall that Riker oversaw crew evaluations. My assumption was that he is responsible for transfers and promotions, but it's got me thinking: who selected the original, starting crew for the Enterprise? For example, did Picard select the senior staff and only other key positions?

Follow-up question: if Riker was responsible for most transfers, assignments, and promotions, I take it Picard still had to approve each one of these?

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Some of them at least. We know for certain he chose Geordi, as mentioned in The Next Phase.

3. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

No! Life is scary! :(

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Not scary. just over-rated.:bolian:

5. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I think Riker's role is one of the strengths of TNG versus TOS. In TOS, it's barely hinted what Spock's responsibilities as 1st officer are. It's clear in TNG that Riker has day to day responsibility for running the ship. (Picard does make it clear that he hand picked his senior staff, including is Executive Officer) In Richard Henry Dana's classic of a sailor's life in the 1830s "Two Years Before the Mast" he has this vivid description of a first mate's place (this is a civilian sailing ship, but I think it applies well enough here) The prime minister, the official organ, and the active and superintending officer, is the chief mate. He is first lieutenant, boatswain, sailing-master, and quarter-master. The captain tells him what he wishes to have done, and leaves to him the care of overseeing, of allotting the work, and also the responsibility of its being well done. The mate (as he is always called, par excellence) also keeps the log-book, for which he is responsible to the owners and insurers, and has the charge of the stowage, safe keeping, and delivery of the cargo."

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Another difference between the two shows is the size of the ship. The Enterprise-D was much larger and had more officers than the TOS Enterprise. Riker is effectively the staff captain on a ship that large.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Though Chakotay had the same responsibilities on Voyager, with far less crew members than Kirk did...

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^easily amused, huh?

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the inference of Picard sitting in his Ready Room, sipping on a cuppa Earl Grey (Hot) and looking at a PADD with all the names of recent graduates applying for a posting to the Enterprise. I can just see his eyes stopping at the sight of the name "Crusher, Wesley" and pondering for one brief moment whether he actually wants him back on the ship or not. :devil:

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Both.

BTW, Lower Decks and The First Duty are two of my favorite episodes.