its Star Trek Vs 25th anniversary!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

share your memories...and gain strength from the sharing..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I see its flaws, I understand the perfectly legitimate criticisms - and yet - I still love it. It's tremendous fun, and has a real sense of energy.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's at the bottom of the pile by a long way for me I'm afraid.

That being said...

I absolutely adore all the campfire scenes, and a few others on the ship,some of the best character scenes in the entire franchise, so the film deserves credit for it, and the score is great also. Plus it's one of my favourite movies posters too.

The rest of the production totally undermines the movie though, with the worst FX in the series and the cheap looking ending. I understand the budget for the movie was the biggest since TMP so something obviously went very wrong then.

Despite me slating it though, I still do enjoy it from time to time, although last time I watched it I turned it off when they get to the Enterprise and put TWOK on...

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Shatner] I don't WANT to share my memories. I NEED my memories! [/Shatner]

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. As well as the energy and fun, I love the crew's interactions (Scotty/Uhura weirdness aside). They're friends first and officers second. That they're all taking shore leave together is at once sad and sweet.

And Sybok is an excellent character, who I think adds a great deal to Spock's backstory - why did Sarek pressure Spock so intently to be the emotionless Vulcan archetype? Because Sarek's fully Vulcan son was exiled for embracing his emotions. He must have been terrified his half-human child (and human wife) would suffer the same fate.

6. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Lieutenant

Star Trek V was the the very first Star Trek I've ever seen. Can't believe it's been 25 years now.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Spot on. The interactions between Kirk/Spock/McCoy are just pure Star Trek - I don't want to get all teary-eyed, but I really love that heart warming friendship and camaraderie!

Also, I forgot to mention the score - easily Goldsmith's second finest work on Trek. I highly recommend picking up the LA LA Land expanded edition.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So many problems with this movie! And yet, hard to hate. :)

9. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love this movie.

Whilst the execution of the Sybok plot didn't quite work, the concept was appealing and I thought the actor did a great job.

I LOVED the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes. For all people bang on about the friendship between them in the series, I feel THIS movie was the friendship at its best. Star Trek III perhaps demonstrated the loyalty more, but Nimoy was absent (onscreen) for most of it. Here, I just thought it was great. Especially when Spock and McCoy side with Kirk against Sybok.

The budget makes the film look cheap in places, but I like the tone of it - it doesn't take itself too seriously (come on, Trek fans - can't we have some fun once in a while!?), clips along at a fair old pace, and has plenty of action/adventure moments in it.

Yep, like somebody says above, I recognise the flaws - but it's still in my top 5 Trek movies to rewatch!!

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I watch TFF more than any of them except TMP ... and sections of TWOK. Endless fun, despite some pain at times.

11. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I saw TFF on opening night with some friends...almost fell asleep at one point.
    Had all the DVDs except TFF, then got it with the movie blu-ray set.

The campfire scenes are the best aspects. But I do watch it once in awhile.

oh and when Spock & McCoy "show their pain" scenes. very powerful,
    especially McCoy's.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favorites, close to the top.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All these anniversaries are starting to make me feel old! :scream:

14. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's full of flaws but a lot of fun. I honestly think it's the closest film to an episode of classic Trek.

15. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something isn't right....

The math isn't adding up. According to my memory, I went to see Star Trek V after getting a meal at a friends' restaurant. It was on my birthday. Problem is, twenty-five years ago, I'd have been 26, but I would have to have been 30. I remember having one of those 'I'm a loser, I'm going to a Star Trek movie by myself on my 30th birthday' moments.

I think the time-line got altered somewhere along the way. :wtf:

16. Smellmet

Have to disagree, I think that honour goes to The Search for Spock

17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TFF premiered in the US on June 9, 1989. 25 Years ago.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been really nice to hear so many positive comments about STV:)

19. Smellmet

It still does have some redeeming features. I may put it at the bottom of the movie list but as a fan I still enjoy it from time to time

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And I wish I was still the 19 year old I was when that movie first came out.

Then I'D have some energy.......