MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The key contained an entire interactive Jor-El...I don't think instructions on whipping up a suit for Kal would take up much extra space.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah. I was my impression that the suit was made from the data made available from the key.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. :lol:

Maybe the character did. It was about Clark Kent putting on a suit and playing a part after all. Everything you described about the ideal Superman was still there though.

Superman has a general look that no one has deviated from but Cavill still brought a distinctiveness to the role, I think.

I'd say it was Superman's version of Batman Begins. It had the same tone and hit all the right beats. We got a naturalistic take on the character, an origin story interspersed with flashbacks and a big showdown at the end that included a machine of doom and destruction. Unfortunately we may not be getting an equivalent to The Dark Knight.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I never said I didn't like the iconic, larger than life version of the character (my two favorite Supermen will always be George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, who both embodied that idea perfectly).

But I also don't think it hurts anything to also make Superman feel more like a real, believable character-- with actual emotions and desires and needs like anyone else.

I don't see why he has to be limited to being just a symbol or archetype.

6. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember in the Justice League cartoon series, there was one episode that explored Superman killing Lex Luthor in a parallel universe, and it let to the JLA putting the entire planet under totalitarian rule.

Personally I have no issue with MoS when it comes to the killing of Zod.

Superman was shown basically being able to hold on against 2 powerful adversaries barely by the skin of his teeth.

He gets one opportunity to stop him for good, which he might never get again. I think he had no choice but to take it.

I can see how Superman purists would be butthurt by the way it was written. I suppose the story could have provided another way. The whole point was that this wasn't supposed to be our father's Superman.

Sadly it failed miserably in other areas, but the treatment of Zod was fine. Even the original movie was edited to imply Supes threw Zod down the ice cavern to his death, along with the other baddies. Leaving the scene of them being arrested by the Arctic Police would have been major lame-o.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie was fine, but I did think the origin story was a waste of precious time. Just give me a proper Superman movie for once! The next one isn't one either, because he has to share it with Batman.

Holy schmo, is it really too much to ask?

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just saw Man of Steel a second time on blu ray, and it holds up very well.

I think the complaints about the destruction of Metropolis are overblown. Most of the destruction was caused by the ship before Supes even got there. And then the few buildings that collapse in the Zod fight were caused by Zod. Supes did not cause wanton property damage on purpose in this fight.... unlike the one in Smallville where he's intentionally punching Faora and Non through gas stations and train yards :lol:

And I never had a problem with Supes executing Zod. He did it in the comics. The movie makes it absolutely clear that Supes had no choice, and Zod was committing suicide-by-cop and would not have stopped killing innocents unless he was killed.

If I have a complaint about the movie, it's that there's a ship full of twenty or so Kryptonian soldiers who never actually participate in the battle!

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's what Batman is for in the film.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, the next movie opens with a flashback to the Battle of Metropolis, showing Batman showing up in the Batwing and taking down twenty Kryptonians single handedly? I like it! :lol:

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Batman: "They think pussy in blue is tough for taking out one Kryptonian while I took out twenty of the suckers."

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just rented it and I probably can't beat 85 pages of musings so I'll just add a couple things.

You know you might have smashed one too many buildings when even the characters are too numbed to move out of the way or leave as they crumble around them.

I was constantly distracted by how much Zod looked like Jaws from the Bond movies.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

More like 50,000.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie was fine, but

that's just a pile of bullshit.

That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Specifically-- There was Hawkeye helping the trapped passengers out of the bus, there was Captain America rescuing the captives in the bank, efforts by the whole team to keep the fighting contained, Cap coordinating with the police to get civilians to safety, even Hulk diverted a Leviathan that was about to smash into an office building.

Also, Avengers only showed ONE collapsing building.

Yeah, Zack, keep taking out your ass...

19. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I think Snyder is referring to fact that neither the Avengers, MOS or TDKR address the causalities in their respective films. Avengers has that survivors montage at the end. Giving people a chance to react, thank or protest what the Avengers did in NYC.

MOS doesn't have a scene like that. If it did I think people would claim they copied it from Avengers. Playing devils advocate for a minute; I do think they missed an opportunity to do something in the same vein. They could've used the Daily Planet and have Lois Lane, or Clark pen an article on "Why the world needs Superman" or something.

Addressing the Superman doesn't save anyone thing while the Avengers do. There certain allowances that need to be taken in to consideration comparing the two.

Notably
    1. The Avengers is a team being composed of 6 people. Which includes Thor who is a roughly comparable to Superman.

This is the current roster of Avengers in the films.
    [​IMG]
    This is the current roster of the JLA in the New52 Comics.
    [​IMG]
    If Supes had members of the JLA with him in MOS to help him pick up the slack. We would have seen something similar to the effort out for by the Avengers when it came to civilians. Imagine placing Thor to save NYC all by himself. Could he do it? Sure the Chitauri were no threat to him, however Thor wouldn't be able to save every single person on his own.

2. Level of threat from aliens: Chitauri were being outfought by Hawkeye and Black Widow. Two characters who have no superpowers. Captain America bitch slapped them as well. For those who don't know (and a way to add greater perspective) Capt. America < Spider-Man in terms of physical strength, reflexes and agility. The Chitauri were hack and slash fodder for Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Compare to the kyrptonians in MOS who were pounding Supes in to the ground and every near by building. If it wasn't for his invulnerability and extreme willpower, Supes would've never beaten Zod and his followers.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You said it, hombre. The Daily Planet crew are back to bantering about basketball by the end of MOS, and if a building collapsed in The Avengers, I don't recall it. Moreover, the overall tone of the latter is far more lighthearted than the unrelenting grimness of MOS, and that makes a big difference also. I think Snyder and Goyer were surprised by the violence backlash, perhaps understandably since everyone went so ga-ga over the same in Nolan's Bat-flicks, and are trying to cover themselves.