‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have any problem with Kurylenko as an actress, but I don't know if she's somebody I would have picked for Wonder Woman. As for the inclusion of Dick Grayson too, that is making me a little nervous. I'm really hoping if they are including all of these other characters, that they play smaller supporting role. The fact that they're calling this Batman/Superman or vs or whatever would lead one to expect this to focus on them, not on them, Wonder Woman, and Nightwing. They've obviously done ensemble superhero movies before and made it work, but there have also been times where they tried to include so much, and so many characters, that the movies have ended up really shallow with the focus spread so thinly that no one gets any decent development. I guess if these rumors are true, we should just hope that this falls into the former category, and not the later.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Maybe this will be the first film in a JLA/JSA Trilogy+, and not the Second Superman Movie?

Or Maybe both Nightwing and Wonder Woman will be "cliffhanger introductions" to lead into that JLA/JSA Trilogy+

I don't know Olga Kurylenko, but based upon Googling images of her, although she's sexy, I think Wonder Woman should be a thicker Girl.

Also, I think the Sif Actress (Jamie Alexander?) has a much closer face to my internal image of Wonder Woman. Olga's face could work for me, but again, I'd like to see a thicker girl, so, if she got the part, I'd prefer to see her gain a little weight/muscle (For me, Wonder Woman shouldn't be built like a Martial Artist, more like An American Gladiator or Kristen Johnston)

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen it again today and yes, the World Engine destroys most of the buildings before Superman shows up. And during his fist fight with Zod they only scratch a couple of buildings, but they don't destroy them.

The fight in Smallville is senseless, though. Superman just flies into a gas station, a diner, throws a guy into trains, and doesn't care about any civilians that might happen to stand there.

That didn't happen. Buildings are smashed by the World Engine, by exploding fuel trucks and by Zod's heat vision. But never by Kryptonians slamming into them.

In a way, with that level of destruction, this film actually felt like Part III of a trilogy to me. You usually end up with such a world devastating climax at the end of a hero's journey, not at the beginning.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well the guy Superman hits into the railroad was a Krytonian and the guy threw a engine back at him. And he was alittle angry with Zod for attacking his mother. Faora also told him he wasn't willing to risk the humans and that somehow made her superior to him.

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I didn't read it as he didn't care, but more as another example of just how raw and untrained he is for this sort of thing.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm willing to gives Supes the benefit of the doubt with some of that, and assume that he scanned ahead to see that no one was in direct danger at the gas station or in the buildings he threw people through.

People were obviously killed by the crashing plane, but I don't think you can really blame him for that one.

And let's not forget that this was the beginning of a war for the fate of the planet. There were obviously going to be casualties during something like that, and I actually appreciate that the movie didn't try to play things too safe or pretend like hardly anyone was going to get hurt (ahem, Avengers).

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Good thing he spent all that time in the unpopulated place...

What was the reason why he was over there and the US military worked on the one in Metropolis? I don't remember.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I can't remember if they ever actually specified a reason, but I always assumed it was because Superman could get out there a lot faster than they could. The World Engine was in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That was pretty much the reason. The military would never have made it there in time.

10. davejames

Plus there was the added advantage that it wasn't being guarded by Zod and his men. If he went directly to Metropolis, he likely would have been so busy fighting them that he wouldn't have had time to concentrate on stopping the machine itself-- which would have resulted in even MORE damage to the city.

11. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's also possible, depending on where it was situated, that the one in the Indian Ocean might have set off massive earthquakes resulting in even greater loss of life much quicker than anywhere else.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This:

and this:

sum it up nicely.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no World Engine, which means there are no specs that say there has to be preposterous amounts of destruction. What on Earth or Krypton do ginormous explosions have to do with changing the biosphere? Nor does the instruction manual require that there be two parts on opposite parts of the planet, thereby sending Superman off so that humanity can inconveniently suffer casualties he can't be blamed for. Even the people defending the carnage have to strain to come up with a reason why the other location had to be Metropolis.

The bottom line is that the producers wanted lots of falling buildings, because they thought that was entertaining. Good for you if you got more value for your theater tickets. The massive destruction wasn't very entertaining. The movie gave us a decent Lois Lane and that was vastly more entertaining for me.

And the casualties were not acknowledged. Was there a single bloodstain from a non-speaking "character?"

14. davejames

Well the idea was that the Engines were somehow transforming and adapting the Earth to Krypton's much heavier gravity.

Why exactly that required all surrounding objects to be lifted into the air and violently smashed downward, I have no idea. But it was bound to be a destructive process one way or the other, and they clearly had to make this process visually interesting and dramatic for the audience, so I don't have a problem with it.

And to suggest that the falling buildings and epic destruction were only there for "entertainment value" just seems silly. It was clearly meant to demonstrate just how scary and powerful and dangerous Zod and his men were, and to give Superman an overwhelming threat to overcome-- because Snyder and Goyer clearly felt that Superman required a much bigger threat than we typically see in a superhero movie.

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a frontrunner for the role of Nightwing in Batman vs. Superman.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Looks more like a front runner for Stonn in a new Trek film. ;)

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ He's a daring actor. He's done some pretty graphic sex scenes on Girls.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's nice that you were entertained by the falling buildings. But the simple fact is that there were enough people who were bored by them, their minds wandered, and wondered about the human casualties. The movie was a success but there were enough people who felt this that it would really be silly to attribute the criticism to motiveless malice.

As far as so many of the falling buildings being there? It's not because it was trying to make Zod et al. seem scarier and more dangerous and more powerful against Superman. Two or three Kryptonians attacking him at once would have been. One chocking him might have been. One kicking him in the nuts even. But no amount of falling buildings were going to be scary or dangerous or powerful for Superman. They were like people crashing through cardboard.

Scarier and more dangerous and more powerful against the humans? Showing the casualties from one falling building, even in the Smallville sequence would have done that much more effectively. I daresay that actually trying to imagine a global depiction of the World Engine at work could have been much more effective. A supposed world threat limited to some empty ocean and a single city? Well, yes, the script told us. But Snyder and Goyer didn't show us.

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Apparently Kevin Smith is pretty stoked about the new Batman suit.

Source.

Sounds promising. Could we be getting a more traditional comic book suit?

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I always figured since the moment Batman was announced that we were going to see a more traditional costume this time around.

Zack Snyder is pretty comic-book faithful and besides losing the trunks the Superman costume was fairly comic-book accurate. Look at 300, Watchmen... if anything got me excited for this movie it was the idea that we would be finally getting a comic-book accurate Batman suit.

So I'm pretty excited. Kevin Smith is a hardcore comic-book fan, so if he got that excited about it, then I'm pretty sure there's enough reason to be excited. Honestly, that's probably the one thing I'm most excited about in regards to this movie - I'm sure the Batsuit is going to be awesome.