My homebrew kitbashes

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ian Keldon, Jan 9, 2012.

1. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Should have been called the Discovery-class. ;)

2. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Nah...that would have been a bit TOO obvious... :D

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks Cool :) :techman:

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's the most elegant. Really nice work.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

New ship, and thanks to Dr X (over at the Sub Odeon board) for the new pylon!

Starrunner-class corvette
    [​IMG]

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very cool design there :) :techman:

7. arthur2sheds

arthur2sheds Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really like the Starrunner vessel, i particularly like the 'hammerhead' look of the ships bow. :bolian:

8. Bell'Orso

Bell'Orso Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed. With a shape like that it's almost a crime not to name it Discovery. Also, the nacelles kinda don't fit. Should have been something more along the lines of what you used for the central spine.

I also like the 854 class cutter. Am currently working on my own interpretation of it, using Vance's toolkit.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great front view. That's about the only design that keeps those nacelles looking great.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How about designing something more original? These Vance's toolkit kitbashes have been done to death.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Hard to think of anything truly original at this point, don't you think?

Atolm's
    asymmetrical/reverse designs are pretty close though.

I think everything has been done so many different ways, at least Federation-wise.

12. sojourner

There's alot of good original stuff out there. Kitbashes are not it.

13. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You said what has been on my mind for some time, but never said because I didn't want to unintentionally offend.

I would like to see some designs that are either brand new, or use newly designed parts, such as using/heavily modifying an Excelsior saucer to make a supplement/replacement for the Larson and Loknar class, for example.

14. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

You realize that even the US Navy "kitbashes" ships right?

The Spruance, Kidd and Ticonderoga Classes have the same hull. The George Washington class boomer is simply a cut-in-half Skipjack with a missile compartment grafted in.

Simply reusing parts in and of itself is not a bad thing. It actually makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint. It simplifies the tooling and supply chain drastically.

Some of the designs up thread are interesting.

15. sojourner

The Navy does not scale down a carrier hull to make a PT boat.

Most of the designs (or very similar) up thread have been around the internet a thousand times. They take little time or work and it shows.

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I for one consider myself very lucky indeed to have access to such excellent "parts boxes", seeing as how I do not have the time or talent to "draw" my own from scratch.

Starfleet vessels tend to have characteristics in common much of the time (saucer, nacelles, 2ndary hulls, etc), which is a plus. I think I've managed to put together some unique configurations here with several of my efforts, and at least tried to put my own "spin" on the ones that are "variations on a theme" (Connie refits, etc).

If you disagree, that's your own opinion, and you're entitled to it. There are plenty of other threads for you. All I ask is that you leave mine to my work and those who DO enjoy it.

On to tonight's entries:

2250s refit Durance class frigate
    [​IMG]

and the SS St Christopher (ex USS Erikson), a demilitarized Vespucci class scout
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Those have probably already been done too...I know at least one site (Starship Schematic Database) that has probably close to 5 or 6 hundred designs on it, spanning all eras from pre-TOS through TNG+.

18. sojourner

^And yet, here you are. As long as you just rearrange parts you'll never come up with anything new. Might as well save yourself the time and just browse the Starship Schematics Database.

19. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Lighten up, sojo. Part of Ian's reason for doing this is to teach himself how to use Paint.Net, a drawing program that's a step up from Windows Paint. Let him get comfortable with that and find his "artistic voice" first. I'm sure once he feels he's pushed the limit of kitbashes he'll branch out to more unique design attempts.

20. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

pfft. come up with something new, get shouted down by the purists. you can't win. XP