If you could bring any Star Trek tech to this world... ?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by bbjeg, Jun 18, 2013.

1. SWHouston

SWHouston Commander Red Shirt

That, and there's a few people's molecules I'd like to sprinkle around the galaxy. Not all in the same Sector though. :cardie:

2. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably medical equipment or a replicator since that could help the most people.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Transporters would be incredibly useful. I'm not sure they would eliminate shipwrecks, though, since most people go on cruises for pleasure, not because they're actually trying to get somewhere for mundane business, shopping, etc. But if a shipwreck did occur, transporters would be very helpful in extracting trapped passengers and the injured.

Replicators have to be programmed, though. I thought it was a more complicated process than just scanning something and getting more. If you don't have an original to scan, how would you ever get original things?

4. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In TNG eps(Samartan Snare) The Pakled's "scan" Geordi's phaser in their replicator to make more. Geordi even comments on this fact. So i'm guess as long as you have something to scan and the mem/power/bulk"stuff" you can make as many copies of anything you want.

5. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would be voting for Warp Drive technology so we can go somewhere when we ultimately kill off our own planet.

6. zDarby

zDarby Lieutenant Red Shirt

Woah! That seems a bit pessimistic.

How about: one of the different time machines shown on star trek? That way you can go back for more! :)

Maybe I can spend some time there to commission my own object? The teleporting, replicating holo-warpship, maybe? O:-)

7. clever_username

clever_username Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The problem with warp drive is you can't just use it on its own. There's associated tech that goes with it, like deflectors, inertial dampeners, artificial gravity. You decide to zip off at warp speed without those you'd be liquefied.

I'm more interested in transporter technology. We could send unmanned probes to Mars, Titan, Europa etc. to set up pads, with a few relay beacons along the way.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The Phoenix did not seem to have AGS nor deflectors or IDF. I might agree to the last on the launch phase

9. Ilaliya

Ilaliya Ensign Newbie

I'm surprised it took page 2 to get to holodeck.

And I'm not thinking about the TNG style holodecks. Give me DS9 style holosuites!

10. clever_username

clever_username Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True, but they gradually accelerated to warp (which starships don't do), had a limited crew, and didn't go very far. If we wanted to leave the solar system, we'd have to deal with the asteroid belt, the Kuiper Belt, and the Oort Cloud. Without deflectors, the ship would be toast.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always liked the wrist-communicators used in STAR TREK: The Motion Picture.

12. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Lieutenant Red Shirt

Transporters. The ability to go everywhere from/to home would be invaluable.

13. Ronald Held

My point was a working warp drive was developed without gravity control navigational deflectors.

14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps at mere lightspeed the warp field itself performs most of those functions?

15. Ronald Held

If you stayed at the center of the warp bubble you should be in flat space. In principle you should be able to use changes in the space-time ahead of the warp field to deflect gas and dust. Another way is needed to local gravity control,AFAIK.

16. Vulcan linguist

Vulcan linguist Ensign Newbie

Assuming a replicator couldn't be used to replicate other ST technology, I'm torn between a transporter and warp drive.

Transporters aren't practical for eliminating our day-to-day travel problems, but the idea of placing beacons in space and transporting between them is tempting.

But if we could solve the practical problems of warp drive, I'd take it. Whether we're "ready" for it is a valid question, but you could certainly argue that we weren't ready for it in 2063 either, immediately after a third world war when half of our species was decimated. It was the warp drive that enabled contact with other civilizations, which united our species in ways we couldn't have foreseen.