TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. rosyrock

rosyrock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah, they were classic examples of 80's spandex gone wild..and I heard they actually nearly crippled a few people to boot!

2. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

For the most part, I think TNG's middle seasons were some of the best eps in the entire franchise (second half of two through about the end of five). After that, my head starts to hurt from the liberal use of treknobabble and "magic-particle of the month" solutions to everything. Some of my favorite episodes were most straight forward and didn't get too fancy with the premise. Like Contagion (computer viruses, teleportation, other goodness) and the concept of the Picard Manuever was IMO the most ingenious and most often ignored piece of trek ever produced.

Then you turn around and hear Geordi say something like "If we modify the deflector grid to emit a fancynamium pulse, we might be able to seal that quantum hyperbole that's been causing all the Klingons to turn blue." I can sort of see this for a science mission, but it gets a little absurd in combat situations where the preferred tactic of EVERY starship commander (from the Defiant to Voyager and everything in between) is for the Chief Engineer to modify some piece of equipment to emit a high frequency problemsolvedium beam?

Nobody EVER repeated the Picard Manuever... not even Picard! And that was one of the craftiest things I'd ever seen on Star Trek.

I like DS9 on its own merits because it's well written, but it has some flaws TNG escpaed. I absolutely loathe Voyager, and I kick people who express even the slightest praise for it.

3. Goth_Girl

Goth_Girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well lets see my name is lisa and i grew up watching TNG with my dad and now that i am almost 21 i am haveing alot of fun rewatching them all again lol. My favorite episodes are the ones with the borg in them and especially the ones with data and lore. My favorite characters are Data because he is super smart and good at everything basically and Worf because he makes me laugh. If i had to pick one favorite ship it'd have to be the borg cubes because they look so slow but go so fast. BTW anyone know where i can buy the old TNG episodes on DVD without a credit card?

4. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Welcome to the BBS Goth_Girl & newtype_alpha please do enjoy.

5. Bev_Crusher

Bev_Crusher Commander Red Shirt

No, you're not, I liked him too!!! A big welcome to you and everyone else. Enjoy your stay!

6. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Hello, my name is Sean and I've been a fan of TNG since the beginning, way back when it first premiered in '87. I've always loved this show, it's the one that got me into the whole Star Trek universe so it's always had a special place with me. My top three episodes are Family, The Defector and The Offspring. My favorite character is Picard followed closely by Beverly. I guess you could say I'm a P/Cer. :D Beverly became more of a favorite over the last few years from rewatching episodes. I find their relationship interesting and fun. I liked the friendship aspect of it and wouldn't have minded if they got together but it doesn't bother me too much that they didn't. One of my other favorite aspects of their relationship is the fact that she is one of the few characters from the main cast that would stand up to him. I've always liked those scenes along with their dinner and breakfast's conversations. Some of my other favorite shows are The X-Files, Firefly and Freaks & Geeks.

7. finale

finale Lieutenant Red Shirt

Post deleted by RevdKathy :)

8. BunnyButt

BunnyButt Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well I totally love TNG. It's a toss-up between TNG and DS9 for my all-time favorite Trek. Maybe it's just the fact that they were made around the same time in my life, my youth. Now that I'm older and more cynical it's harder to get excited about the future and the final frontier. Anyways, my fave charater on TNG has to be Picard. I have a special affinity to him cuz I too have a British accent (and receding hairline:'( )
    Plus he's really really really smart.
    Plus they played up his lonely-at-the-top situation. I can relate to that.

9. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm Jon. I'm 33 and I registered today.

I'm a writer and I've worked for Art Asylum part time through the years. One of my proudest moments is writing the copy for the new TNG figures. If you have Riker or Worf, you've read my work. :thumbsup:

I love TNG, TOS and DS9. I'm watching Enterprise through Netflix since I missed most of the run. It's ok, I like it more than Voyager.

10. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

nice to have you aboard. Keep up the good work.

11. Bev_Crusher

Bev_Crusher Commander Red Shirt

A big welcome to Vasquez Rocks, BunnyButt and doesitmatter !!! Enjoy your stay!! :thumbsup:

12. Guest

Guest Guest

My name is Califf and I am a high school student. I watch Star Trek every night for atleast three hours. I really dont mind what the eposide contains but I really like the episodes where they use the holo deck because I love seeing the virtual reality aspect.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Welcome. Whoa! Three hours a night :eek:Hope you're doing well in school ;) :lol: Just joking. That's great you enjoy Trek. Hope You'll enjoy your time at TrekBBS

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, I've never posted in a forum. I'm April and am 25. I am IN LOVE with TNG, obsessed with P/C, and infatuated with this forum. Please be my friend.
    I've started watching TNG again and for some sick reason, nothing else matters now.

15. Gold Grizzly

Gold Grizzly Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard, and be sure to check out the P/C thread!

16. deanna_troll

deanna_troll Ensign Newbie

Im new, I was doing a search on Gates McFadden because I thought I saw her on a Microsoft commercial and this site came up high on google. Im not a huge fan of TOS (KHAAAAAAANN!!!) but I really like TNG. I watch it usually most afternoons on SpikeTv usually in a haze of weed smoke. Ive watched the other series sporadically. I catch DS9 sometimes but I dont wake until at least noon so...

My fav character is Deanna Troi, though entire episodes about her tend to make me yawn. My name is Sharon and Im 23 and Im unemployed! whoooo!

17. Wonderfulpolous

Wonderfulpolous Lieutenant Red Shirt

/\ OH My Gosh! That is totally how I found this site too...

TNG is my favorite. because I really haven't seen many of the other series.

wowsers. I just love the characters on TNG. *guilt* I sometimes daydream about working on the Enterprise-D lol. In fact I just was a little while ago. of course I lied about my age. So I'm not too old to dream about that..:-D

My favorite character is either Dr. Crusher, or Deanna Troi. I don't know why, they just are.

18. deanna_troll

deanna_troll Ensign Newbie

Wonderfulpolous,

I have dreams (god this is going to sound crazy) that star trek and star wars come together through a worm hole and that somehow Im involved in diplomatic negotiations and it always happens that the star wars universe takes over the cardassians. I am through sharing! lol

19. dirt

dirt Commodore Commodore

Hello,

I visited the board more frequently in the past, today I visit BBS in spurts and spend more time “lurking” and reading various posts. When I have the time I like to try to post in the “caption” threads because I enjoy a good laugh.

As a boy I watched a lot of TOS reruns with my dad, so when TNG was launched I had to see what it was all about, however when I watched the first episode I didn’t like it. I tuned in sporadically to watch TNG, but started watching it more around the end of season two, and I was hooked by season three. For me that was the high water mark of TNG.

Today I have a soft spot for seasons one and two, and I’m not very forgiving of what I consider some real stinker later on the series; Masks, Sub Rosa, Emergence just to name a few. Another thing that bothered me about later seasons was the music, it became very bland. Compare it to the scores from Booby Trap or Q-Who and I think you'll understand what I mean.

Barclay was one of my favorite characters. Perhaps it’s my love for the character Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock from the A-Team…. ;)

20. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral