Could Argo ever become a "real" movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Morpheus 02, Mar 2, 2013.

?

Should they make Argo into a real movie?

1. Oh yeah!

33.3%
  2. Are you on crack? Oh NO!

33.3%
  3. Umm...maybe?

33.3%
  4. I dont really care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just had this thought -- so they made up a "real" sci-fi script, right?

Is there any reason why it can't be made into a real sci-fi movie?

This would be perfect for a SyFy Saturday Night movie...and they could definitely play the Oscar winning movie angle in there too...

Any thoughts? Or has someone talked about it already?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think the original "film" ever made it past the treatment stage, but the novel it was based on ("Lord of Light") is certainly still out there. I've never read it, but it won the Hugo and was nominated for a Nebula award.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If I remember correctly they didn't make up the script themselves, they optioned one that had already been written. Indeed I think it had even been in preproduction already at some point. As to whether or not it could be made into a movie...probably. I mean just about anything can, no? However, from what I gather about the plot and quality of writing it probably couldn't be made into a good movie.

4. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Of course!

Lord of Light is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. Great use of non-linear storytelling and Hindu mythology. If they do, I hope they ignore the Argo connection all together (save for mentioning it in marketing and maybe keeping the Jack Kirby designs the pre-military operation team commissioned when it was meant to be an actual film) and make the best possible movie they can on a fantastic book by the brilliant Roger Zelazny (also known for the Amber series).

I haven't seen the Ben Affleck film, but it's ridiculously frustrating to hear people speak about one of my favorite books as "maybe they could turn it into a cheesy, no-budget SyFy original movie!" In the movie (from what I can gather), the Lord of Light connection is never made and they treat it like it was some random sci-fi script floating around and then the CIA and co. commissioned Jack Kirby, etc. to do the design work and the like. When actually, Kirby was hired when they were seriously going to make a Lord of Light movie, all the production artwork and all that stuff was done thinking it was going to be an actual movie. I understand where the OP's coming from, people often leave movies "based on a true story" with the impression that's what really happened, but it's just really hard for me to see a thread like this made, completely oblivious that the script they had was based on a genuinely wonderful novel.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i didn't now any of the backstory...or even the Affleck movie...i just heard the clips about it being "best Bad idea we have."
    I was assumng it was a "serious" movie in the sense that a Roger Corman movie was...
    but if it's a trulyserous book....with the Hindu theme...could India make it as a SERIOUS sci-fi movie? I have heard of Rama, but haven't seen it... could India pmake a good version of Argo (was that the name of the fictional movie)?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why would it have to be made in India?

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While I do find Trekbbs interesting, I'm not sure that's what you were going for :p

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Damned cut and paste!!! Fixed it.

10. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Was reading this today before I came here. There is a script written by Barry Ira Geller. Never heard of him? Neither has IMDb, which I think tells you all you need to know. Okay it has heard of him, but only for appearing in a documentary about this.

Put it this way: he still wants to make the script he wrote over 40 years ago. I think it's time to move on.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Lord of Light is probably too complex to allow it to be adapted into a film without serious butchering of its themes. For example, look what happened to Dune. In fact, several of the themes (such as the wheel of life and technological reincarnation) and Zelazny's use of "anachronistic myth" ended up in the new Battlestar Galactica. That might be the nearest you'd get without causing rioting in India for apparently insulting the Hindu and Buddhist religions.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, my first thought - and I didn't know there was a book - was "sounds like Lynch's Dune."

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Ben Affleck's Argo makes it look like a Star Wars ripoff.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

It would be, but I'd rather see it made than Lord of Light.

I've seen that web site with the orginal material. Lord of Light would suck as a movie. Trying to compact that much depth and gravitas into two and a half hours would be just like two pounds of baloney in a one pound bag. And there's no way in hell Kirby's production sketches could be built into a live action set without CGI or making the whole thing a cartoon.