Dune coloring book

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Unicron, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

While looking at online toy related stuff, I came across this very bizarre and hilariously age-inappropriate book from 1984. Not exactly the thing you'd want to give your kids. :rommie:

Link to one article.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

"Did you finish coloring the dead bodies, Johnny? Good boy!"

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember at the time thinking how inappropriate stuff like this was. Now every time I look at the watered down trash that comes out today, I just feel sorry for kids. "Yeah, well my coloring books have references to mind altering drugs and murder!"

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The picture of the spice navigator is either particularly funny or particularly horrifying, depending on your POV. The movie version would easily be considered nightmare fuel by young children, and the dialogue in the coloring book certainly wouldn't help matters.

Incidentally, there's also an amusing parody of the classic Goodnight Moon that's been going around for a while. :D

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

What Crayon is best for drawing sand?

7. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I've seen that before, and it is indeed rather frightening to think they this kind of stuff to kids. I want to know who thought it was a good idea to have a page where you colored two dead bodies?

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the Crayons must flow...

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Amazing! LOL

Its interesting, recently I have wondered how hard it can be to merchandise some serious adult superhero films for kids. Nolan's Batman films for example. I look at the kids books at Wal-mart and Target. They avoid the more adult elements, like Batman defeated by Bane, and really just introduce the characters in broad strokes.

None of that compares to this! Which made no effort to gear it towards the age group of a coloring book!

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, seriously, the Lynch movie isn't exactly a very colourful movie. Kids with that book must have dulled down the four crayons they would have had to use for every picture.

YES! That totally made my day!

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

But this is really funny... I saw these in the grocery store.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That was sweet (in a weird Lynchian way). I love how the goodnight, Golden Path page is blank :lol:

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, Batman Valentine cards aren't really anything new. I suppose it is kind of amusing that a movie so obviously aimed at adults is the theme for cards kids hand out to their classmates, but really it's nothing new. I'm sure both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight also had Valentine cards.

Now Valentines based on Lynch's Dune, that could be amusing. Hell, picturing kids giving their classmates cards with Lynchian Guild Navigators or Reverand Mothers pictured on them...

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dune Valentine's would feature the Baron drooling over Sting in his tiny, leather speedo.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think I actually had the Dune coloring book as a kid. It didn't scar me for life or really have any impact on me at all.

17. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, I have a copy of that coloring book sitting within my desk this very moment!

A friend of mine had a few copies and handed one to me (some 25 years ago) thinking I could use it as art reference material.

Sincerely,

Bill