Assassin's Creed III

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JarodRussell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Weird start to the game. I've been playing for about two hours, and I haven't even seen mention of this Connor character yet, even though he's supposedly the main focus of the game. I've been running around Boston as some random British dude, and I have absolutely no idea where the story is going to take me.

2. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

He's probably Connor's father. Connor is supposed to be half British so that would be my guess.

3. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the review at gametrailers said there was a slow start/buildup.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I'm into Sequence 3 (about 3 hours into gameplay), and it looks like British Dude is about to get it on with an Indian chick. :p

The build up is very slow, which probably wouldn't be so noticeable if this was my first AC game. But since I've already played the other games and know the controls pretty well, it's a just tad annoying.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I just finished Sequence 4. While the first two sequences are a bit slow, things definitely improve in the third one. ;)

7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I played for three and a half hours last night and I'm still in the prologue. For reference, that's the length of Lawrence of Arabia. PROLOGUE.

Not a complaint. Loving that it's setting up for quite the epic. Expecting Charlton Heston to turn up.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking at the prices and editions, I think I'm gonna wait half a year or a year or so. Several over-priced editions with non-overlapping content, that's got to be a joke. And then probably 5 DLCs for 5-10 bucks each over the course of the next year. If I get into it now, I'll end up having paid 150 thousand bucks by the time they release the GOTY or Platinum Edition with the entire content for about 30 bucks.

9. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for the fact that
    that's the same exact plot for Assassin's Creed, AC:Revelations and Dishonored (another great game people should try)

I'm just disappointed that developers who I believe are Canadian didn't create a more nuanced view of the American Revolution after their work in the original AC.

Of course if the plot is that

Connor kills all the Founding Fathers and replaces them with assassin doubles. I will buy the most expensive version of this game released to PC

10. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Well, the end of the 3rd sequence has a nice twist about that...

11. Jim Steele

AC is inspired by history, it's not a documentary.

12. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But there is being inspired by history and completely ignoring it. Would we be making the same argument if in the end there was this huge twist and the Prussian Army invaded Great Britian or the Russians or Spanish invaded from the west.

By his backstory, Connor should have sided with the British not the people who murdered his tribe.

13. Jim Steele

Well no, but none of the innaccuracies you're talking about aren't anywhere near that significant. Every historical WWII film ever made takes these sorts of liberties but they tend to stop short at having Adolf win. As long the liberties they take help the story and don't completely ruin suspension of disbelief I don't see the problem.

But then we're obviously looking for different things, and I'm not as well versed in the history of the period so it's not going to jump out at me so much.

(We're also talking about a story that has everything we're taught being a lie as one of the core themes, so...)

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm not gonna click those links because I don't have AC3 and probably won't have a chance to play it for a few months. :p I was just hypothesizing based on what I've heard about the universe.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just finished Sequence 2, and I'm not enjoying it as much as far. I really have an issue with setting this game in Colonial America. I miss the ancient middle eastern cities. I guess the new character is cool enough, basically a suave James Bond.

Do you get to call in assassin strikes further into the game? I miss that.

Why does everyone call him Connor? That's not his name in the game, it's something else I forget at the moment.

16. Jim Steele

^ You're still in the prologue, and will be for a while yet ;)

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Connor is the main character. You haven't met him yet.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Whaaaaaaaaat? Aww I wish I didn't know that lol

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just rusty but I'm finding these missions EXTREMELY frustrating. Way too many stealth missions where you have to walk in just the perfect path or you have to start over. And there needs to be more checkpoints. I've shut the game off in frustration more than once and I'm only on Sequence 3.

I'm also having a problem with the combat but again I'm rusty. If I'm surrounded by four dudes hitting me, I have to constantly hit the counter button and I'm never able to attack on my own, leading to long drawn out annoyances.

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ There was only one mission where I found the stealth path to be hard to discover... and that was in like sequence 6 or 7. I haven't had any other problems.

And I actually think the combat is even easier than in the previous games. Basically you can attack until you see one of the guys attacking you (they'll have an inverse triangle over their head)... in which case press the block button (circle on PS3). If they're one of the more "badass" enemies (like grenadiers) use the block first and then the counter (X on PS3).