BBC America TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it me, or does BBC America run like 40 episodes of TNG in a loop? Why don't they just run the entire series from "Encounter at Farpoint" to "All Good Things". Sorry to complain, just tired of seeing Data's Day every other month. Anyone feel me?

2. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Yes annoyingly BBC America not long after acquiring the rights to TNG in 2010 did one or two full runs of the series and then started only showing Seasons 3-5 consistently. Probably because those are considered the best/most popular seasons.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've tried to avoid it recently so I'll have some desire to watch the blu-rays as they come out.

BBCA seem to have a problem running any long series all in order.

4. Vulcan Logician

Well, we always have commercial-free netflix. But why doesn't BBCA understand that the show is primarily viewed by fans!

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I've noticed this but I own the DVD's so it really doesn't bug me. Its nice to flip the through the channels and find an episode in the early morning hours when my baby wakes up in the middle of the night.

6. Vulcan Logician

^ Understood. The only reason I complain is that I regularly watch the episodes, like UoT. It just gets a little redundant.

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The only thing I've noticed about the BBCA TNG broadcasts is that they're edited. I think the edits are subtle and don't take anything away from the story, but when I watch and notice a line of dialogue missing here and there, it is irritating.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

That's interesting Pavonis. I never noticed that.

9. SpHeRe31459

Really? Are you sure? It's not like TOS where in the '60s the run times were longer and had to be cut to fit into modern syndication. Though I must admit I wouldn't be totally surprised, because I have noticed some odd artifacts where the motion gets stilted and/or looks slightly sped up, which is usually a sign of a poorly done edit.

10. SpHeRe31459

Ditto. I've generally been avoiding anything from the seasons that are out/about to come out on BD this year (Season 3, 4, 5).

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yes, I finally checked. I watched the same episodes on BBCA and Netflix at the same time. There were definitely missing lines of dialogue, and scenes were clipped by a few seconds. I think the edits are to accommodate more commercial time now than there was in the '90s.

12. SpHeRe31459

It looks like the average run time of an hour long drama today is indeed about 2 mins shorter (42 mins versus 44 mins) than it was for TNG's era. So sad... we keep getting TV shows eroded by more and more commercials, and anything made before the new runtime gets chopped up to fit.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why BBC America would even buy the rights to air Trek in the first place. BBC has a humongous vault of fantastic programs and if they had to buy the rights to some other shows, you'd think they would be focusing on the other Brit network's programming to be able to show 'on the other side of the pond'.

14. SpHeRe31459

It has a well known British actor as the lead. That's the main reason why I think.

Oh you'd think so.... but BBC America has become more and more a dumping ground for Gordon Ramsey shows (many of which were made in the US originally), along with what they think Americans will watch namely Dr. Who and Top Gear. Top Gear repeats are on pretty much on all day every day.

BBC America is pretty much the same dreck as all US cable TV now :-(

I remember back in the mid-2000's they actually showed real British shows like The Avengers, The Saint, etc.

15. Vulcan Logician

Well that's just some BS! I hate commercials! Especially when they deprive me of Trek.

16. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cadet Newbie

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I picked up on this in 2 episodes in particular. Parallels and Relics. In Parallels, the scene where Capt. Picard shows up at Worf's Birthday party is missing from the BBC episode. In Relics, the scene where Capt. Scott ask's the Ensign "Where have you put me, and says In my day even an Admiral would not have a cabin so big".

I'm sure there were other edits, but, these two I'm sure of, because I checked them against Netflix, but, I didn't watch the episodes side by side as the previous user did.

I wrote BBC about this, but, they just blew me off.