PUSH - movie review, grading, discussion & SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Your grade for PUSH

Poll closed May 16, 2009.
  1. A+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's what I heard.

As for her pulling a "Miley Cyrus", I'd say the two are different. Fanning seems to be pushing the limits as an artist, while Cyrus seem to be doing the usual celebrity stuff for fame and attention.

2. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, her movie Hounddog is the one you're thinking of. It premiered at the '07 Sundance Festival, I think, and got an extremely limited theatrical release last year. From what I've heard, it's just not that good -- it's probably destined to be remembered as "the Dakota Fanning rape movie" more than anything else.

As for Push, I'm still undecided about seeing it, but the box office -- ouch. I'm guessing no sequel potential there. Also, isn't Fanning the voice of the titular character in Coraline, which also opened on Friday? She was essentially competing with herself, which is pretty rare, I think.

3. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

What were the powers?

Pusher - suggestion/domination
    Mover - telekinesis
    Sniffer - touch/smell post- and pre-cognition
    Bleeder - resonance scream
    Stitcher - touch healer/wounder
    Watcher - clairsentience
    Shader - psychic shadow (better versus Sniffer than Watcher)
    Shifter - shift matter? (was this a halucination localized on an object or did he actually alter the physical properties of matter?)
    what else?

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I would have thought that the shifter created a temporary illusion for others to see, but then there's the bead he created which looked like it was real.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Checking wiki; power number nine is "Wipers can erase memories. They can erase specific events or specific durations of time."

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have most of them, but we need more:
    Burners -- pyrokinetics (and similar 'kinetics: zappers, flashers, nukes)
    Jumpers -- teleporters
    Hivers -- bridges minds (can coordinate other psychics)
    Multis -- manifest more than one power
    Nulls -- untouched by any power
    Readers -- mind-readers and senders
    Luckies -- weird luck is always in their favor

7. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

What could have been (possibly) a passable flick with an interesting premise was literally destroyed by the direction, photography and editing.

Talk about self-indulgent. Every time the movie almost settled down to normalcy, it would suddenly go into tilted angles, grainy pictures and incredibly bad editing.

Not to mention another attempt at recapturing the "audacity" of a tweener hookerlike character a la Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver. Just freaking creepy undertones, like Natalie Portman in The Professional.

Looked more like a pilot for a CW or Sci-Fi Channel series. And by the ending (or lack thereof) it actually thought there would be a Push 2?

Fat chance.

--Ted

8. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I saw it tonight with a date. Gave it a C+ for sheer style and potential. I wanted to like it, but ended up kind of shrugging my shoulders at it. We both were iffy about it.

I liked the dodgy direction/editing style. I think it's the most memorable part of the film. I though the introduction design was great.

The skirt/pants thing on Fanning was too, too short and distractingly so. Both my date and I were feeling like creepers during her drunk scene, where she falls onto the chair and nearly gives you a full on crotch shot. It didn't help that she had bruised knees. The female Asian Watcher was also terrible anytime she had to say more than 5 words in a row.

Ultimately, this does feel like half a movie in plot. The world they've created is interesting and the style they present it in is even more compelling. Hong Kong was a brilliant location to choose. But, like others said, the ending is cheap and this was way too much a set-up for a sequel.

I would be willing to see a sequel. But, I would have rather been exposed to an entire film right now than a complete sequel or trilogy later. I'd rather they tone down the Watcher angle a bit though, as that muddied up the action for me.

Anyone know why the protagonist was not pushed into jumping off the rise by the antagonist? We both weren't sure, I was forced to shrug and assume it was something cheap like his love for the Watcher girl.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

PUSH didn't last long. In 3 short weeks its out of the top 10.
    Its just barely going to do north of $30m.
    Looks like their idea of a franchise with this isn't going to pan out.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I saw this movie a few days ago. I thought it was okay. Nothing too memorable. Dakota Fanning was the best part.

The climax could have been much better. I was a little confused at first about why everyone was trying to kill each other for the suitcase.

That's pretty sad for Summit Entertainment when Push is their second biggest movie. Every movie they've released has disappointed at how much they've made except for Twilight. Summit really needs to try releasing some oscar bait dramas or something.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=summitentertainment.htm

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009