Time changed... When will it end.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Data Holmes, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

So, the clocks just "rolled back" and I have to ask when the pratice of daylight savings will be put to rest. I've always hated it, and been opposed to it since grade school.

We live in a 24hr modern world. Powered by on tap electricity, tv, the Internet, and legally addictive stimulants. We have no purpos to this long outdated and pointless pratice. Let's just be done with it already.

End rant.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Come to Arizona and Sheriff Joe, Data. I haven't had to change my clocks in 23 years. Just bring your own horse, as some still think it's Wyatt Earp days out here.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Considering that most of the U.S. is now on Daylight Saving Time for nearly two-thirds of the year, maybe it would make more sense to simply have DST all year round. But then children would be waking up and going to school in the dark.

Aaaah, screw the children. :p

4. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I think the time shifting does more harm than good with young people... with people in general actually. More people get sick, suffer sleep disruptions, car accidents, etc. If the problem is kids getting up in the dark, just have them come in an hour later.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm curious: why?

Set aside, for the moment, that "24hr modern, powered by on-tap electricity, tv, the Internet, and legally addictive stimulants" world in which you say we live now. (Legally addictive stimulants; what means this, anyway - that they're allowed by law to be addictive?)

Why did you hate and oppose daylight saving time before now - before the internet and all of the rest? Did you really hate it, or is that merely hyperbole? Do you, in fact, actually remember a time when there was no internet, and do you understand the nature of institutional inertia?

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

we've only had DST 25 years now and it's just one huge nuissance. It was introduced in order to save electricity but it's utter b-shit. The light you save in the evening is needed in the morning instead. And all this clock-switching, trains having to wait 1 hour to be back on time again etc costs actually more money than it saves.
    Add to it the physical problems the time shift causes everyone.
    I totally fail to see any advantages of DST. And since in this globalized world we have to deal with different time zones anyway, there's absolutely no reason why we should stick to the nonsense of the sun not being in the zenith at 12 o'clock for almost 8 months a year.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not like I notice it. :lol:

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I hate it because I never get that extra hour of sleep. I always wake up at the original time, so here I am awake at 5:30 am instead of getting up at 6:30.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The bar where I work is open until 3am. As a result of DST, we stayed open for an extra hour tonight, which people enjoyed. Plus it's a whole extra hour for me to make tips!

10. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've had it (well British Summer Time) nearly 100 years in the UK (and we're a much smaller island :) ) it's just a part of life. Probably confuse us more not to change it now.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Meh. It's not even a nuisance. If people "hate" it, it's for hating's sake.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Springing ahead is far worse than falling back.

13. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

So, screw the people who need the extra daylight?

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

15. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Whichever way, I hurt my head equally bad.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I actually prefer daylight saving time, and hate standard time. I think we should switch to daylight saving time permanently.

17. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I think we should eliminate time zones through out the entire planet. It would always be the same time and date no matter where you are. What difference does it make if your clock says it's midnight or 7AM in the morning? Most people are still going to get up and go to work or school during the daylight hours. What time it is, is just a way to organize activity.

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone is free to set his clock to a standard global time. It's just that people can't agree on where on the globe the benchmark spot should be. ;)

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the whole "I hate DST" thing is a lot of hyperbole from people. Is it really THAT much of a bother to reset your clocks twice a year? Especially considering most modern devices (phones, TVs, cable boxes, computers) probably do that stuff automatically? The only clock I had to change was the one on my alarm clock and that's because it's an old one. I've seen newer ones with a simple switch that makes the adjustment. Sure, if I bothered to set my stove or microwave clocks I'd have to adjust those too but neither is a bother to do.

The biggest problem is just adjusting to the actual time difference which takes a few days. Which makes "standard time" difficult to adjust as it now gets dark at 6:00 instead of 7:00.

Which is why I think if we're to stick on a time it should be Daylight Time.

I agree that in our modern society I don't think it makes much of a difference (I think studies have shown the energy savings is minimal to non existent) beyond "trying to keep the active hours in the day time."

But, feh, whatever. I got that hour of sleep last night.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not a huge imposition to reset four or five clocks, but in the end, it's just not necessary. I mean, what's the point of DST in the first place? What good does it actually do? Is it worth it? How does it make life more efficient?