The Osiris Chronicles vs Andromeda

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just able to watch the pilot for the unaired TV series The Osiris Chronicles (the movie was called Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy) and was surprised how much the series resembled Andromeda.

The Osiris Chronicles is set years after the fall of the Galactic Republic and the premise would have involved a surviving Republican warship with a ragtag crew that set out to reconstitute the Republic in order to defend against an invasion. Even some of the characters and sets seem similar. Was this intentional?

I know that for Andromeda, the Dylan Hunt character and some of the plot were based on GR's plans for Genesis II and Planet Earth from the 1970s. But there seem like too many links between The Osiris Chronicles and Andromeda to be a coincidence.

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Has this been released on dvd? I've read alot about this movie/pilot back in the day, but never saw it. No UPN station was carried by my cable company back then.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I lean towards no, nothing comes up on Amazon.com.

Though, you can find it on Youtube

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I taped the pilot when it aired and it's a shame it didn't make to series.

5. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I watched it on YouTube

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Watched this last night on youtube after reading about it here. It was... interesting. I liked that it didn't fall into the usual trope of having the warlord chase them from episode to episode. Sean the warlord was actually the most interesting character.

The Osiris took the whale shape too far though.

7. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Thank you. Guess you can always count on Youtube. Watching it now, and it's an enjoyable film, better than I expected. Is it just me, or has John Pyper-Ferguson not aged more than a day or 2 since it was filmed?

Now if I could only find the other UPN Shockwave Cinema pilot/movie of the week ''Star Command''-this one hasn't made it to the good ole 'tube yet.
    I'm assuming those old UPN movies were produced by Paramount. I wonder why they haven't released at least these 2 on dvd. Or make them available for license to a basic cable network.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_films_produced_for_UPN

The 3 Chameleon movies were shown on Sci Fi years ago, but none of the others have seen the light of day...

Orange Crusher likes this.
  8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I relaly liked Star Command too it had alot of young actors whgo went on to other things. And I enjoyed White Dwarf even though it was pretty strange.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek: I remember watching this on TV and have for years wondered what it was!

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Only in that they were independently inspired by the same source. Namely, both of them began with creators looking at Star Trek and wondering, "What would the galaxy be like after the Federation fell?" While Andromeda was based on Roddenberry's Genesis II/Planet Earth pilots, it just happened that Robert Hewitt Wolfe had previously had an idea for a far-future series set after the Federation had fallen to the Kelvans, just an idle speculation about what he'd do with Trek if he were given free rein. And I recall reading that Osiris came from Caleb Carr looking at Star Trek from his historian's perspective, his awareness that every society falls eventually, and wondering what would happen when that time came for the Federation.

Which is not really a coincidence, because it's an idea that many people have wondered about over the decades; I remember reading an article along those lines in an issue of the fan-published Trek magazine in the '80s, and I think I've seen a thread or two speculating about it on this BBS over the years. It's a natural enough thing to wonder about in a world where The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and The Foundation Trilogy were around well before Star Trek was, and where post-apocalyptic fiction has been an ongoing genre for generations.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

H. Beam Piper explored similar themes as well in his Terro-human future history.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Drago Museveni was, in fact, named in reference to Yoweri Museveni. The show also used Yoweri as a Vedran dynasty name, as well as mentioning a "Kagame's World" named in honor of an ally of Museveni's. As the Wikipedia article says, President Museveni was not seen as a "villain" at the time the show was made, but rather as a reformist statesman whose stature was comparable to Nelson Mandela's.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now to figure out how Putin got to be the little imp from Harry Potter...

15. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just watched this on youtube. Quick query, why does the wikipedia article vary from the film re the fate of Nova? was a different ending made and the film reissued when it became apparent that there was not going to be a series?

Sadly Jessica Madison Wright who played Nova died in 2006

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

J. Madison Wright played Clancy Brown's daughter True Danziger pm Earth 2, probably the saddest aspect about her was that she died after coming back from her honeymoon.

17. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still regret that this one never made it beyond the pilot.

If you look at the elements it's actually closer to what made the serious parts of Farscape so great, which came about a year after Osiris Chronicles.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Farscape, Andromeda, Lexx and even The Orisis Chronicles contain elements of Blake's 7 so it fairly easy to see common traits. But Rod Taylor is a class to himself and I always liked John Corbett's role on Northern Exposure.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I can't say I woulda preferred Corbett as Crichton, but, I woulda liked to see him as Dylan Hunt

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Orange Crusher likes this.